2013 F800GS OEM aux lights

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by cchoc, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    SOMA Man, thanks for the photos!

But you didn't happen to get some shots of the LEFT side as well, did you?

I've installed a Stebel Nautilus Compact air horn on the left side where the original horn was and I don't think it would fit if I installed that bracket.

If I understand correctly, on the left side you had to remove the stock horn (and bolt) as well as the bolt above it, and then bolt it back together with the horn back in place. I would have loved to see some photos showing how much space the bracket takes there. I know the bracket is flat where the bolts go, and that it then goes to being round. The question is for how far does it remain flat?

I was so pleased with my horn installation and I don't think there is any other place it might fit. I'd hate to have to break apart the horn to separate the compressor from the horn part as that's really quite a big job.
  2. SOMA Man

SOMA Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hope these are okay. I took them with my crappy iPhone this morning, before heading to work. Yes, I had to remove the stock bolts/horn and then bolt it back together with the horn back in place. The bottom picture (not a great photo) may help shed some light on how far it remains flat. It remains relatively flat until the point where the upper support of bracket attaches to the tubular section. However, if you look at the fourth photo, you can tell the the tubes are angled slightly outward. I can take some measurements if it would be helpful. I'll see if I can snap a better photo when I get home from work. I wish that I could be more helpful, but I have not seen a Stebel Nautilus in person, although I was considering installing one at some point. Perhaps there is still enough room to mount it on the outside of the light mounting bracket or get creative with some spacers, if applicable?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Snogoose, is it possible for you to supply some more information about what you call the "TT M6 Hinge mount"?

I was at my dealer today and ordered the BMW bracket (CDN$177!!!!) and showed them your photos and post. They were unable to find what that Touratech part was. (And my dealer is Touratech Canada!)

Thanks for any further info you could provide.

Cheers!

4. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    SOMA Man, those photos are great! Thanks so much for posting them. Isn't the iPhone camera incredible?

Did you have to take the panel off to take the photos or was it already/still off? I hope you didn't have to go through a lot of trouble, but really it was very helpful.

I've ordered that BMW bracket, but now will have to find another solution to my Stebel horn. I don't want to give up the horn OR the bracket. SIGH

I suspect I'm going to have to do some major surgery on the Stebel horn and I don't look forward to that task. I've done it before on another bike I had and it wasn't fun. I'll see if the second time around will be any easier. What I'm thinking of doing is separating the compressor from the horn/trumpet part and then placing the compressor somewhere else and the trumpet where the original horn was (if it fits). I would connect the two with a length of silicone tubing. On one bike I had, the compressor was way at the back under the cover by the brake light and the horn/trumpet was under the front fender. Quite a length of tubing involved but there was no noticeable delay when blowing the horn.

If you're interested in seeing what my current horn installation looks like, here's the thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870824

Thanks again!

5. cchoc

cchoc Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer:
    TT is Twisted Throttle, not Touratech.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/denali-light-mount-m6-hinge-6mm-bolt-single
  6. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Charlie! We're going to have to do something to clarify which company we mean by "TT" as Touratech stuff is often called "TT" as well. And I suspect Touratech has been around longer than Twisted Throttle has been.

Darn that it's Twisted Throttle and not Touratech, as I had recently placed a fairly large order with them. Now ordering just one inexpensive item from Twisted Throttle is going to cost more for shipping than the product itself.

Gonna have to see if there's another source for something similar.

7. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are Canadian dealers that carry Twisted Throttle stuff. Dualsport Plus and A Vicious Cycle come immediately to mind. There are probably others.

Dyslexics untie!
  8. SOMA Man

SOMA Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mtl_Biker,

I'm glad I could help out. Yeah, the iPhone camera is awesome:D. I am somewhat amazed that not a single manufacturer (Touratech, BDCW, Altrider, etc.) has developed a proper mounting system for aftermarket lights specifically for the 2013 F800GS. Fortunately, I did not have to remove the panel. I decided to install a set of Skene Photon Blasters and I still had a little work to do. They should do a decent job of helping me get noticed.

I checked out your thread about your current horn installation. It is a very informative and detailed write-up. Living in downtown San Francisco, I definitely need a more forceful horn. I'll make sure to keep tabs on your horn install. Based on how well your install goes, I will probably get a Stebel at some point in the not-too-distant future.
  9. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    We are getting the BMW Aux lights and new yoke switch installed as soon as few more parts come in...we decided on this set up because it looks integrated and the lights are indeed LED. Not cheap but we consider this a wedding present to ourselves. I am looking forward to having proper Aux lights for the dark fall and winter riding.
  10. omekim

omekim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For those with the 2013 OEM Aux Lights -- how do they behave?

For example: Is the switch on the controls yoke a momentary rocker or a fixed toggle? (ie rocker up for on, return to center, rocker down for off). Do the lights only come on with the low beam? What happens when you switch to high beam? Do the aux lights come back on if you leave them on and remove/replace key and restart the bike?

Finally, besides getting the yoke, harness, lights and support brackets, do you know if the dealer had to go in and tweak the bike's computer to recognize the added lights?

I'm wondering about all the above because I'm wondering if I can leverage (hack?) the OEM setup for my own lights. I have already determined the pinout for the yoke wiring, but so far I can't get the bike to respond to me 'pressing' the buttons.

FYI the Left Hand yoke pinout (looking at the two connectors, not the yoke):

8pin (rounded on left)
    Top: Horn, Right Signal, Hazard, High Beam
    Bottom: Cancel, Left Signal, Common, Info

4pin (notch bottom right)
    Aux Light Button1?, Aux Light Button2?, ABS, ESA

(I guess I have to read the directions on attaching an image next...)
  11. cchoc

cchoc Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer:
    The switch turns the aux lights on and off, and the setting will stay during key off/on. The lights stay on when the brights are on as well, and when the aux lights are on there is a 'light' symbol illuminated in the display. Can't help with the pinouts since my dealer installed my lights.
  12. Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider Old Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wish I could answer how they work. I bought min when I bought the bike 5 months ago. Well, the handlebar switch finally arrived about 2 weeks ago. Really fast service from BMW.:cry

Now I want to install them and the switch has some micro screws that I have nothing to fit as well as even see them? They are smaller than any Torx I have and none of my metric allens fit? So, if someone knows what they are and size, please let me know. My # 10 Torx seems big.
  13. omekim

omekim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Take off grip to change out the yoke. Steps (from memory):
    -remove Barkbuster / bar weight / whatever is on the end of your bars
    -remove long little screw that goes through grip and bars to hold grips on (access by peeling back grip rubber at yoke)
    -catch little nut
    -grip/yoke are attached as a unit, it should now spin freely and allow you to unplug the 3 connectors
    -slide grip off end of bars
    -look inside, see how two clip together -- unclip

No need to mess about with the little screws (though that was how I approached it the first time...)
  14. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    If you need to though, I believe they are T8's
  15. Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'll look for a #8. All the sets I have and have found so far only go down to a #10. Actually, I thought this was the smallest size?
  16. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    They actually start at #1
  17. omekim

omekim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Look for the small torx sizes at electronics shops like Radio Shack, Digikey or similar rather than through automotive channels.
  18. Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  19. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this thread cchoc as I went the same route

Just an FYI for others.. I saw in the new German Touratech magazine an adapter to attach other lights to this bracket. Of course it was €30 or $50 for a simple bracket but that's typical.

[​IMG]

PN-048-5481
  20. MiamiPhoto

MiamiPhoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My setup. I have a 2007 650gs. Different but still similar. People say that they look way better than the oem bmw aux light!

[​IMG][​IMG]