It's war against MCs in Toronto!!!

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by theshnizzle, Sep 15, 2013.

1. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. Griffin44

Griffin44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The groups of sport bikes racing through residential neighbourhoods and up and down the expressways using the ramps as race tracks is a problem. It annoy a lot of folks. Usually done late at night.

Completely different phenomenon than the cruisers with straight pipes. Which are even more annoying to most folks.

I'm worrying that we are reaching a critical tipping point and that the authorities propensity for over reacting and punishing the innocent is about to take place again - like the stunting laws in Ontario that punish reasonable riders that may take their butt out of the seat when it was intended (supposedly) to deal with racers (which really wasn't much of a problem and there was legislation to deal with it already on the books but was just not used. The authorities prefer the laws that don't actually require them to take anyone to court in order to punish them.)
  3. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    They came for your handguns... Now they are coming for your motorcycles. :deal

:1drink
  4. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:

To the person that wrote the article, well that's just life in the big city, noise that is, deal with it. Don't like it buy some acreage out in the country and move.

Amazing people move there (any good size city) and expect peace and quiet.:lol3
  5. Griffin44

Griffin44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They never came for our handguns. We never had them. We've just never felt the need to go armed in a civilized society. :rofl
  6. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.:deal
  7. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    I love ADVRider and the varying viewpoints but is it possible to have a thread about any issue in Canada without an american poster turning it into a gun thread?
    Take it to CS&M and leave it there.
  8. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    The OTHER candy ass Canadian mentioned guns first.:deal Blow it out your ass.:wink:
  9. IronJackWhitton

IronJackWhitton Chasing my Trunk to the next adventure

Oddometer:
    I live in Edmonton and I have seen/heard of folks getting pulled over by police noise traps.

One fellow got pulled over a week or two ago on his 1150GS; the police officer looked at him and laughed and said "carry on your way". So the law doesn't seem to care too much about ADV bikes.

There are a lot of Harley and Harley clones that make a TON of noise. Even out here, sport bikes aren't too bad. They CAN be loud but at least in my area I don't notice them very often (and if I do it's very fleeting).

Overall I think the noise bylaw is a good idea but I'd prefer it to be more general -- so that it targets bikers less. For instance I more often get woken up by a kid down the road with a who-knows-how-many-million watt stereo in his import. I can feel the bass from my apartment when he's on the street. That is just as disruptive in my mind as a bike (and at least with a bike, I get the pleasure of saying "ooo which one is that!").

So, I'm not in favor of laws that target bikes like this, but do understand the need to laws to discourage stupid noisy behaviour.
  10. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

That is the point. The thread should have been started there. :D
  11. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe it was dankez who mention guns first and I think he is from.....OR.....not.....ON...........

I would prefer this not morph into another gun thread,love ya dankez, but I kinda wanted to point out what a downtown whinger the writer is and yet another article written about motorcycles by a cager.
  12. JDK111

JDK111 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you read the article?
    It seems a cruiser with straight pipes pretty much nails it.
    It's about NOISE - i own 5 bikes, and I agree with everything the author says.
    Thank god it's only a matter of time before some of these idiots get reigned in:D
  13. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Thank you for clarifying your point.
    To the other respondent....not so much.
  14. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh.....I never thought of cs and m. I kinda just go to the same spots most of the time......:deal
  15. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    I guess SOME people here have dainty ears.:lol3
  16. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    We live out in the sticks, many miles from any bar........I think I hear loud sportbikes as often if not more than cruisers. Our road is a dead end, were hearing the bikes on the main road a 1/4 mile away.
    To all those folks who say they keep the noise down in town, we here you loud and clear out in the sticks, noise doesn't respect "acreage" and trespasses all the time.

I recently decided to take my V-Star out of storage and fix it up, so I have been checking out some of the appropriate forums. Its pathetic to see how many how-to posts there are dedicated to making the exhaust loud for no reason other than to make it loud.

Here's a quote from a how-to in the "tech" section of one forum,

"Before I did this modification I
    would wait until these admirer's left before turning her over. Now I
    push the starter, and watch heads turn."

Truly sad that he doesn't realizing they're only looking to see who the noisy asshole is.
  17. stevie t

stevie t some dude, somewhere....

Oddometer:
    Must have been port dover, brings out all the pirates every Friday 13th.
    If they just tasered them they could lay 'er down der nice 'n quiet like eh?
  18. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why do they make the law about motos? Cages are often loud too. So are leaf-blowers, jackhammers, fireworks, and a bunch of other crap that people probably shouldn't be messing with during quiet hours.

I lived right along the Kennedy expressway in Chicago for many years, out towards O'Hare airport. With the windows closed, you could barely hear planes, el trains, or traffic going past...until some pinhead with a ridiculous stereo or set of open pipes went past. It didn't matter if they were on a bike or in a cage.

Now, I'm not the sharpest tool in the outhouse, but if I can ascertain that noise is noise, regardless of what it's coming from, why can't legislators and LEOs, ie., supposedly intelligent people, ascertain the same?
  19. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    Not so. Many people had them, and many still do. It's just more restricted. Sad thing is that the law changes weren't necessary. Typical move, when a shooting happens they take the guns from the law-abiding citizens who never misused them. FYI, pistol shooting is an Olympic sport. It's not televised because it's not a spectator sport.
  20. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with JDK 100%.
    Why do :asshats need loud pipes? Need attention? Ride with your horn taped down.