Jacket still waterproof after washing?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sailorlite, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I washed my Firstgear TPG Teton jacket today for the first time. It looks a lot better but I'm wondering how much its "waterproofness" might have been degraded.

I used Nikwax Tech Wash according to its instructions, and they not surprisingly recommend their TX Direct Wash-in to improve water repellancy.

My plan is to defer using the Nikwax TX Direct until after the jacket's second washing - unless it's common knowledge that I should use it now.

Any estimates on how much one washing has degraded the jacket's performance - 1%, 50%, 100%?
  2. yosmitetom

yosmitetom Banned

Oddometer:
    5%
  3. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    i think you've taken quite a bit of the durable water repellant (DWR) coating off the jacket's exterior. it's not really meant to be washed.

really, you should dumped a bottle of that nik-wax wash-in DWR and wash it another time.

1. no waterproof breathable membrane works worth a piss if the exterior material becomes saturated (or filthy)
    2. that Nik Wax wash in works really, really well. last time i gave my Darien this treatment, the water would actually puddle up in the creases of my jacket as i was running down the road. the material just would not accept any water.
    3. it get into all the nooks and crannies that the spray on stuff can't get to.

i do my jacket once a year (about 12,000 miles +/-)