NomadGal's Year on the Road

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by NomadGal, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Feyala

Feyala Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am a cold sleeper too, it's what's kept me out of my hammock in the winter. I could go get a proper underquilt, of course, but that's even more bulky crap to carry, crap that doesn't serve dual purposes with a tent setup. Blah.

I may just visit those friends next summer, I hate hurrying around, and while I've done the burn across the country over a couple of days, it's not exactly what I would call fun, I'd have to hurry there, and then hurry back to get to southern cali by the end of september. Perhaps I'll bum around the southward states some in October, visit my folks, verde hot springs, maybe visit moab. The NOLA Art House has been on my list for a while, in Louisiana... hmm.

Maybe I'll see you when you head southish?
  2. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    Moab is cool! lots of great dirt roads! Yep, gotta wait till it cools down cause boy can it get hot there!!!
    Hope to meet you sometime, I'll keep tabs on where you are, and send you a jingle if I'm in the neighborhood! :D
  3. Feyala

Feyala Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Likewise, I think it'd be fun to hang out for a few days and chat. :clap

Ride safe!
  4. Merlin III

Merlin III Long timer

Oddometer:
    September and October are fine for riding in New England and Atlantic Canada. I don't think the nights are any worse, temperature wise, than Colorado in the summer. Just sayin..............
  5. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Merlin! Just keep in mind that anything under 70 degrees I consider cold. (I am from Hawaii after all)
    As far as Colorado nights went, I guess I was lucky, most nights got to about 55-60, and I had a fleece blanket inside my -20 sleeping bag, and piled my riding jacket on top of it all including my sweaters and my towel. Even then I'd wake up as soon as the jacket slipped off! Yep, I need a better sleeping bag:rofl
  6. CB160

CB160 another old fart....

Oddometer:
    :lurk Keep up the good work!....and don't forget that 'timer' on the camera every now and then....

Ride safe :)
  7. Merlin III

Merlin III Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you posted to Ann's great RR because otherwise I would have missed your wonderful story. Hope you get the job-I think you would be the perfect fit. If not I am sure something just as good will come around for you!
  8. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    I'll try and remember! :lol3
  9. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    Got up at 6:30 this morning because I wanted to leave early in order to get to Lincoln early. Didn't get to leave as early as* wanted though, but oh well!
    I definitely have a reason for backtracking to Lincoln though, namely ADV's annual pie-day at Jeff's house.
    The morning was pretty darn cold if you ask me, and I was glad to have inserted the two layers into my riding jacket.
    People tell me Iowa is straight and boring, I have no idea what they are talking about! I love the rolling hills in Iowa, and the green and yellow cornfields.
    Some of the farm houses along the road are just amazing. Huge and stylish, some even ornamental. I feel I'm being transported through time into the Scarlet O'Hara times.
    I guess those folks probably took the freeways, but those small rural highways, that's where it's at! Those are just awesome.
    At one point I got stuck behind a work truck, didn't realize there was road work ahead.

[​IMG]
    Well......... what the heck am I supposed to do if I can't follow you????

I rode into Nebraska around 1 PM. Seeing as I'm not a big fan of cities taking a northerly route above Omaha seemed like a good idea.
    I've always loved railroads and trains and couldn't resist taking a pic of this bridge.

[​IMG]
    Now how do you suppose this guy (assuming it's a guy) got the name of his girlfriend on there?

Got to Jeff's house at 2:30, just in time to help set up the tarp for shade, and make ice-cream! Yay!
    Then we came up with our own flavor ice-cream, namely chocolate jalapeño! Yum!*:kboom
  10. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got confused on that bridge once and almost crashed head-on into traffic. (I was riding west to east) I was drowsy and foggy and thought the railroad bridge was the other two lanes of a four lane highway, so I merged left to take a look at it, not realizing I merged into oncoming traffic.
  11. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    OY! Lucky you're still here to tell us about it!!
  12. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    Today was Piefest at GSRider's home in Lincoln Nebraska. There was a pretty good crowd here despite the early morning rain everywhere.
    This Piefest seems to happen every year, so those of you willing to ride for pie, mark it on next year's calendar!

[​IMG]
    Leslie's famous Jalapeño-Apple-Pie! A scrumptious bite of sweet apple pie, followed by a sublime taste of burning chili peppers!

[​IMG]
    Straight apple pie made by her son, delicious!

[​IMG]
    Finally! Seconds before 2 PM the first bikes arrive!

[​IMG]
    And then a few more!

[​IMG]
    Yep! That's a KLR with sidecar, or side suitcase more like it! Pretty awesome :D

[​IMG]
    Feast your eyes!

[​IMG]
    Yep, a whole other table!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This bike has a story! Didn't get to talk with the rider, but he came in a suit! Tie and all. Not sure why:scratch
  13. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    Sometimes I'm just too assuming! Went to Lincoln for Piefest and to buy a new rear tire.
    Lincoln in my eyes is a HUGE city, so I assumed motorcycle stores were open 7 days a week. Nope!
    Then Jim was over in the morning and he said he might have one that would fit my KLR.
    Somehow I guess word got out and Kurt (fifthcircle) PMed Jeff that he had a Heidenau for me.
    Cool!
    Here it is

[​IMG]

Awesome tire!!!
    Thanks so much Kurt :raabia
  14. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    No worries. It was a pleasure meeting you! Safe travels.

SUBSCRIBED! :deal
    -Kurt

[​IMG]

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.
  15. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    Double Yay!!
    Yay, a picture of me and Jeff, albeit our backsides! :D
    Yay you are my first subscriber!!
    The tire is absolutely AWESOME!! It's gonna get me into trouble though!!!
    I found myself riding 70 without the usual wobble and squirrellyness!
    Thanks again, I am going to highly recommend this tire to anyone!!
  16. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    Left Jeff and Leslie this morning around 9.
    I could have stayed there forever! LOL. They made me feel at home and were always so helpful.
    I loved watching those two, even after years of being married, they are still very much in love. Cool! Maybe one of these days I might experience the same. wnker4
    Yesterday after Jeff had put the new Heidenau on my rim I saw this bug after I had put the wheel back on.

[​IMG]
    Look at the cool face on it's back! Two eyes and a mouth. Even a neck and black chest :Hap1:

[​IMG]

I decided to take Hwy 34 east toward Iowa. Got stuck behind one of these, and was sorely tempted to ride underneath it. Don't think my windscreen would have cleared it ?;>]--

[​IMG]

I think I am going to cal this particular road Diamond Highway!
    It was awesome the way it looked when the sun shone on it. Like riding over scattered diamonds. Mind you, it would have been a very clever way of hiding tons of diamonds in clear view, and no one would be any the wiser!

[​IMG]

Managed to get temporarily lost in Plattsmouth, there were so many detours that I missed my Hwy 29 turn. I think they do this on purpose so you'll see the town, which is really quite nice!

[​IMG]

There is a small old toll bridge that you'll have to go over in order to get into Iowa. Well, didn't have any cash on me, so when I asked the guard if I could pay with a debit card, the answer was a prompt NO! But then I was allowed to cross over without paying, very sweet! I didn't fancy turning around getting lost again, and paying an ATM fee just to cross.
    Again I entered Iowa without seeing a welcome to Iowa sign, Darn it!!!! I'll have to take one when I leave it.
    In Red Oak right now eating some oatmeal, and typing up this report. Heading back to Ames in a few! Hope the cat is still alive!
  17. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    OUTSTANDING!
    Maybe a matching front would be good, when the time comes. I think the BMW shops are starting to carry them. The front will last forEVER on your klr. Mine still looks new, and its got a few thousand miles on it.

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.
  18. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
  19. Ruud109

Ruud109 Dutch in Barcelona

Oddometer:
    What a nice thread! Enjoy your ride!

Groeten uit Nederland

Ruud
  20. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Fun report and my popcorn bowl is full, IN:freaky for the duration.