New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use a hammerhead designs shifter http://www.hdmoto.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=KTM1SL (part number ktm1, but there are still a bunch of variations of color/length/etc) and it has held up thus far.

I also use a "brake snake" similar to this:http://www.flickr.com/photos/24373111@N08/2770001380/ that runs down through the shifter's pivot (the hammerhead pivot pin has a hole running vertically through it) and then forward to the skidplate to help keep it from getting bent.
  2. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    The US bikes definately have the limiter, but to be honest, I hit it more on twisty paved backroads than I do in the dirt... the only time I get wheel spin on asphalt is coming out of a corner hot. Wheel spin is usually a problem in the dirt long before the rev limiter. I did hit the rev limiter in 4th on sunday, somewhere in the neighborhood of 85mph and really it takes so long to wind up from higher speeds (wind resistance and what not) that I typically would have shifted MUCH earlier, but I wanted to see if it cut out in the same manner as 2/3... it does, just at a higher rpm.
  3. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I think there's some confusion about the limiter. There's the rev limiter which protects the engine from over revving, when you hit a certain RPM, the engine cuts out, and then there is the 2nd,3rd gear limiter that doesn't allow more then something like 80% throttle when you wick the throttle WFO. It's a more of a nanny thing to prevent looping the bike.
  4. FriedDuck

FriedDuck Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer:
    If you want to test whether there's a limiter you can just unplug the plug that gets modified. Ride it and see for yourself whether it's worth going through with the mod.
  5. Bike Nomad

Bike Nomad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also use a "brake snake" similar to this:http://www.flickr.com/photos/24373111@N08/2770001380/ that runs down through the shifter's pivot (the hammerhead pivot pin has a hole running vertically through it) and then forward to the skidplate to help keep it from getting bent.[/QUOTE]

Was your brake snake a DIY project, or did you purchase it somewhere?:ear
  6. Tarheel Wheeler

Tarheel Wheeler Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can get Brake and Shifter Snakes from Motion Pro, or just log on and look at them...easy to fabricate from the pic...not that I'd do anything like that. :evil
  7. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I was thinking of giving the Hammerhead shifter a try.Do you think it's more robust then the stock one?

I do have a brake snake (on the rear brake :D), but don't have one on the shifter. I'm thinking it won't do me any good because my problem is that the gear shifter is always bending in towards the engine :huh.
  8. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chris D: The hammerhead shifter is definately more "robust" than oem. They are nearly the same price as oem too, so if you need a new shifter anyway, definately go with the hammerhead. If/when you F one up, you can then just buy the individual pieces to fix it instead of dropping $70+ each time. I could go measure the difference in thickness with my calipers if you'd like.:lol3 You should consider an set of clutch/ignition cover gaurds to keep the brake/shifter from busting through in a crash, I have these: http://www.adventure-spec.com/defau...uard-it-technology-side-case-ktm-690-e-r.html

Bike Nomad: I've made my own brakesnakes before but the ones currently on the bike are motion pro (3 pack for $6 http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...lebars-Control&webCatId=12&prodFamilyId=25547 ), it is nothing more than a small length of cable with a ferrel crimped on which can be done with a pair of pliers. The parts are available at most hardware stores and shouldn't cost more than $2-$3, hell, you could probably buy a 50 pack for that much.
  9. .chris

.chris 690 Advenduro

Oddometer:
    So you are saying that there is no option to fix the seals on the current slave?
    It is a 120euro replacment part, instead of a couple of seals? I think I am going to ask my local to see if the pistons seal/gasket etc can be repaired.
  10. Tarheel Wheeler

Tarheel Wheeler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, just suggesting that alot of guys with the same issue opted to go with the Sigutech as a replacement and have been very pleased with the performance.

You can easily replace the seals, but many chose to upgrade.

Ride on!
  11. Uller

Uller Done with this BS

Oddometer:
    I had the replacement part number up here for a Yamaha O-ring which fit the slave and was around $1.50. Now that the megathread is gone, so is it.

I will have to go home to look the number up and can do so later tonight.
  12. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    From ghost of mega crash

[​IMG]
  13. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This part only fixes slaves from '08 and '09 bikes. In '10 they started using a different (green) wiper seal in place of the o-ring.
  14. Uller

Uller Done with this BS

Oddometer:
    Shit! You are right. I'm sorry for false hopes. I forgot about that part.

Well, at least with the '08 and '09 bikes the stock fix is easier. If I had a newer bike, and didn't want to buy a Sigutech unit. I might almost entertain the idea of changing to an older slave for availability and cost of parts.
  15. Uller

Uller Done with this BS

Oddometer:
    You are getting pretty good at that. Thanks for the help. :clap

(You might want to tone it down a little though, next thing you know you will the the "Librarian" and everyone will be sending you PM's for Megathread lookups.:evil:rofl)
  16. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Yo guys, working on the HOW, trying to find a web hosting outfit. GoDaddy seems to be other than good:lol3
  17. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    I see that the 2012 250 and 350 SX-F models have an in-line serviceable fuel filter. Has any-one seen this? Small enough to use in the place of the quick dis-connects? Part numbers?
  18. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:

Just to double check it's the Hammerhead KTM #1 that will fit our bikes? :ear The reason I ask is that the OEM part # doesn't match what they say it will replace. Thanks!!
  19. Barman

Barman Way Offline

Oddometer:
    I'd look elsewhere for an inline filter. A few guys at thumpertalk have had issues with the sx-f filter plugging up already.
  20. blakrj

blakrj Need to ride

Oddometer:
    Cloggland via Borneo, TX, UK, Oz and S.Africa
    Been using 1&1.com for last 5 years and been pretty good. Cheap as well.