2012 Gas Gas EC 300 E-Start

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by modette, Jan 10, 2013.

1. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    It's been in the works, picked this up the other day.
    2012 Gas Gas EC 300 E-Start

From the get go the farkles are:
    Hyde Pipe Guard & Skid Plate
    TUBliss Front & Rear (I've had good luck)
    Bullet Proof Billet Radiator Guards
    Rekluse Clutch Cover (Not installed yet)
    Fork Air Bleeders
    Cycra ProBend bar busters
    BRP Billet clamps for Cycra probends
    JD Jet Kit
    Tugger (Front & Rear but only front on right now)

I also will do a Scott Shark Fin for rear disc protection and I ordered a Acerbis 1.3 Gallon fork tank for those long rides it then puts me at 4 gallons for now till someone comes out with a bigger tank.

Now for some pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little stuff it comes with, keys to lock the steering head...as this is the e-start it has a keyed ignition. Owners Manual, basic cheapo tools. Obviously I have a box of the original parts like skid plate, jets and stuff.
    [​IMG]
  2. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very sweet bike, congrats:D

So just for discussion, what made you get a Gas Gas over the KTM. Any real differences?
  3. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm no expert on 2-strokes, I have not ridden a 2-stroke since the 1984 Honda CR60 sitting in my entertainment room...LOL

I like to be different, their is a sea of orange...I'm not one to bash other brands because I like them all. The reviews you can find on the Gas Gas's seem to be top notch when it comes to handling and quality components out of the box.

I needed a lighter bike was my main driving force to get something. Plus price on this was low being a 2012 and it being winter. I was really considering a Christini 300 which also has the Gas Gas engine but figured that was too unique for parts and support.

Actually the Importer of Gas Gas and I have something in common, he is located in TN in Nashville and he rides at a 17,000 acre private place and I happen to know the family through my mother...so we plan to maybe ride this august when I go back...I plan to drive and now I'm really considering hauling the gas gas on the hitch carrier. Small world we live in.
  4. papa_j

papa_j Long timer

Oddometer:
    Farmington, New Mexico (Four Corners Area)
    That is sexy. I have really liked my 2011 gas gas 300.
  5. rwhittak3

rwhittak3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is one sexy bike.
  6. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZGO2Oi-2TKo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZGO2Oi-2TKo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  7. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things!

Oddometer:
    That is a pretty piece of machinery right there Mark! That will be better suited for riding around Rico when you are here for RMAR!
  8. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    Nice bike. So is Clay the friend of your family. I meet him once, Clay is a great guy.

Do you have any plans for a quick air screw adjustment for elevation changes. I use to be a 4t guy. But with prices over 10k, I need to rethink my trail bike. One thing that always concerns me is the constant need to adjust the air screw. Recently I've seen some remote adjustment cables that move the point of contact up to the handle bars. That seems like a ok solution to this problem.
  9. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    Now it's a sea of red around here. I believe VxZ just picked up a '13 last week.
  10. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a 2012 XC300E myself :D there were many things which made me choose the Gasser over a KTM. Like modette said, there is the whole being different aspect but the two main reasons for me were size and handling. I've ridden a 09 300 XCW and a 11 300 XC and while the motors felt good I just couldn't get over the handling, they both felt about as stable as a roller skate going down the trail. Also the cockpit on the Gasser is considerably smaller than the KTM or even my Husky. I'm 5'9" and when i first rode the Gasser it just felt right, usually changing grips or bars on my own bike has me off kilter for a few rides so everything feeling comfy right out of the gate was a green light for me. :clap

[​IMG]

Hijack Off.

Modette, how does your estart work when it's cold? Mine just spins when it's below freezing until the bike warms up and then it engages like one would expect. My dealer says you can shim the starter to alleviate this...

speak of the devil :lol3
  11. Downhill Dave

Downhill Dave Busco aventura

Oddometer:
    :sweeti Sexy red bike you got there!!

But where's the ultimate farkle for a 2T- :deal The License Plate? Can you still plate a bike like that in Colorado?
  12. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't think it is going to be an issue, the stock tires are DOT and the MSO says nothing about offroad only, mirrors and a horn and we should be GTG.
  13. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    No issue, I just mailed today the paperwork back to Fritz in Gunnison and they will mail me a temp tag. I financed the bike (hate to say it) but ENT said as long as the MSO does not say off-road only (which it does not nor does it state that its a 2-stroke) they will like other things convert the MSO to Title for me...LOL I should have a real plate in 30 days. Oh and because its not an OFF ROAD bike ENT gave me the low interest rate.

In fact one of the papers I had to sign is a Title and/or Registration Application. I have full coverage insurance...runs me $74 a year with a $250 deductible.

I have a walk around video processing now. So in a bit I will get that up.

The bike starts fine thus when it is cold out...check my video above out. True today is not below freezing but the engine was stone cold for that video...pretty straight forward. With the XR650R I probably would of still been kicking...LOL
  14. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Horn and mirror!!! I don't even need to do the inspection...lol Dealer signed off on the MSO, bank gets it and they convert it to a Title. You only need to do an inspection if you are buying from a private party who can not sign off on the MSO.
  15. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought out of state so I have to get a VIN inspection I believe, and based on past experience our county inspector is pretty persnickety so I'm going to throw those on just in case, I already have takeoffs lying around so... :deal

I didn't see your video, just checked it out. I love how quiet these bikes are. :D
  16. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    No he just rides at a place that I know of
    http://www.cmrariders.com

The brother has 17,000 acres, the Sister (who my mother knows and I have meet and horse back rode her property) also has 17,000 acres next to the brothers. Their sister across the street has 17,000 acres. If I recall they inherited it from a Uncle that passed away. Actually for a bit my mothers friend wanted my parents to buy the 17,000 acres from the sister...LOL It would of been cool, but a little out of their price point for property....property taxes alone will kill you. The lady works just to pay the tax.

I know the road that this is off of because my parents had a house just to the north on Tims Ford Lake. They since have sold and moved to the West to their property of 138 acres. Road 16 is a very nice and well known road to sport bike riders...hitting 120mph and being banked over dragging pegs was common place, not many homes as that family owns the area (although an acre here and there on the road have been sold and homes built since I been there on a street bike) plus no cops out there as you blast into AL (road then turns to poo).

Like I said small world....
  17. TooFast

TooFast Long timer

Oddometer:
    So what did you guys have to pay for the bikes only, no farkles? PM me if you want, I want one too

I rode a 2012 GG300 kicker and the front wheel felt very planted compared to the pumpkin bike and was superior in turning/ holding a line/even changing lines. Much more stable in a straight line. Trials bike heritage, great lugging motor and has some top end power.

And you don't have kick stands that break off, wheel bearings failing like no other bike, EFI problems, gas lines that fail brand new, triple clamps that break, wonder bread seat foam, low budget cylinder plating, high oil consumption, oil transfer between isolated chambers, and a host of other problems that shouldn't happen.....KTM Talk says it all
  18. papa_j

papa_j Long timer

Oddometer:
    Farmington, New Mexico (Four Corners Area)
    I was in the same boat. I went from a 2008 530 EXC-R Six days to the gasser and the total cost of ownership dropped 100%. I have only had to replace the parts that are made to wear out (tires,chain, sprokets) with, knock on wood, no troubles.
  19. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    PM sent.
  20. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M37wXVDMz7M?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M37wXVDMz7M?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>