Yamaha XT1200Z SuperTénéré owners: Show Us Your Bikes!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by AndreiZ, Jun 21, 2010.

1. crazyjeeper

crazyjeeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You sir, are way braver than I am on a Tenere. :eek1
  2. GRNDLB

GRNDLB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably just way more stupid! Tenere is heavy but surprisingly very stable in that stuff. Had no issues coming through that. Water was up to the headlight out in the middle!
  3. xs2jammu

xs2jammu n00b

Oddometer:
  4. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fFpWbX1wKUU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice!
  5. crazyjeeper

Oddometer:
    I went to the Ouachita National Forest with a buddy last weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was taken with the GoPro.
    [​IMG]
  6. murdock2002

murdock2002 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was your buddy on a NC700x? If so, have you two swapped bikes and how did the S10 compare to the NC in terms of center of gravity, handling, suspension, engine feel/torque, and stability at high speeds?

Thanks.
  7. crazyjeeper

Oddometer:
    That is actually a CB500x. We have swapped. The CB5x feels a little top heavier, much quicker handling, cheaper suspension, way less torque but more revvy engine, and pretty stable at high speeds. How's that for the 1 sentence review? :lol3
  8. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A quick trip today up a dirt road east of Vegas. Kodachrome trail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. okiegtrider

okiegtrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of my favorite places to stop and take a break along that road. :D
  10. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    These pictures are amazing. Thanks for sharing.

11. M.S.R.

M.S.R. The Tenere Rider

Oddometer:
  12. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    I'm kind of the odd one out here.

Surrounded by Austrians.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Main reason for the ride was to proof out/pre-run the Wisconsin Dual Sport Riders, Ride For Research AMA national dual sport (big bike) route comming up this June 6th and 7th. Nothing too technical or difficult (no sand) as we don't want to scare away any newer riders. I was the guinea pig bike/rider with the biggest bike and road based rubber. Perfect weather, just a bit dry and dusty.

http://widualsportriders.org/
  13. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
  14. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    Do you have a matching urinal on the other side...

:lol3

Great looking ST by the way...
  15. murdock2002

murdock2002 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greg,
    Nice photos. I see in that group of pics that you were riding with a guy who has the vstrom 1000. Just curious if you have swapped bikes and ridden it and what your feelings are about how those two bikes compare.

Thanks.
  16. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    I have ridden it for a short distance in town (maybe 20km), and all of 1km in California.

I've owned a 2006 1000 strom for 55 thou km, with lots of mods, including staintune pipes, loved the sound.

Motor is pretty much identical. Exhaust is nice and quiet, with the familiar vtwin sound.
    Suspension is much improved, and the brakes are very good.
    imo there's a bit too much going on with the clocks, but again that's my $0.02.

The cross over pipe is way too low, and this bike is very much limited to occasional forays in the dirt. His skid plate is for looks only. All bolts pretty much go onto various engine cases.

One strange thing is that the steering lock is very limited, I mean ducati limited, I almost dropped it as I was making a u-turn, and could barely negotiate it.

Captain cock bonnet (v-strom) did well enough on the bike, he did manage to get intimate with a large pickup truck, but managed to walk away with a sore wrist, and much whining
    moar here: https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/2015/04/27/california-2015/

Otherwise, it's a v-strom, comfy, reliable. Not my thing.
    If I was in the market to replace the tenere, I would replace it with another tenere:D but at 55 km mine is just getting broken in.
  17. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Extroverted Loner

Oddometer:
    Here's a couple from the Foothills Parkway last week:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One from South Carolina
    [​IMG]
    Mike
  18. GRNDLB

GRNDLB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pics! I go ride there every Fall. Where did you get those crash bar bags? Are they water proof?
  19. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Extroverted Loner

Oddometer:
    Those come from Storm Industries (Brady). He has a thread in the vendor section. The bags are not waterproof. I keep everything in dry bags tucked in those bags to keep the contents dry. They are great bags at a reasonable price. Brady makes just about anything you could possibly need. He does a bunch of custom work too. I recommend his products.
    Mike
  20. Jalamajohn

Jalamajohn Ready to Ride!

Oddometer:
    Added 1100 miles to my new 2014, including a 2-day 200 mile Yosemite Dual Sport ride with Family Offroad Adventures. I must say that the 350 miles to get to Yosemite was a dream on this bike. I now have a real appreciation for cruise control. Once in the dirt, I thought I would have a tough time. Most people were on small KTMs. The Super Tenere was even dreamier in the dirt. Felt very natural on the footpegs powering up the steep, rutty, rocky stuff. On the looser gravel roads it was almost like cheating...I could go really fast and not worry about my back wheel spinning out of control (TCS1), and the ABS did not bother me at all. I tried the Sport mode for awhile but it was a little choppy for me. As I gain experience on this bike I'm sure I will appreciate Sport mode as well. I wish I could say that the bike was easy to pick up but I NEVER dropped it. Always felt in control. Really really happy now!

Attached Files: