Are these wheels worth $1k?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by a.c.s., May 16, 2013.

1. a.c.s.

a.c.s. Complaining less

Oddometer:
  2. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those are stock rims.. not the best for offroad. It would be more fun for half the price IMO:)
  3. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    Yeah, cush drive and all the rotors included is good (and tires too), but $1,000 for a set of stock width wheels isn't great. If you were going to build a second set of wheels yourself, this is NOT what you would soned money to build.

Work the deal, get him to throw them in as a package, maybe give an additional $5-700 and then you can sell them or the parts to recoup some costs.

Having said that, this dude knows 950's and probably spends some time here at Adv so he may not budge.
  4. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    I paid $400 for a complete set of the older silver 950 wheels. Deal came with a rear shock too. Had to put new tires and tubes on them.

Great to have a second set, allows me to run Conti Trail Attacks on one set which turns the 950 into the best back roads street bike I have ever had.

$7k for everything would be a good deal. :deal

I tried to get $8k out of my bike with 2 sets of weels and more.. Could not get that price. Decided to keep it. :clap
  5. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're buying it eh? Damn, I was considering that one.

I was going to get the second wheel set too, thinking down the road when the tires wear out I'd switch the rims to 17/19" tubeless.

But it comes down to your riding style. If you're going to be happy running one tire type year round, save the money! If you can see yourself switching between road and dirt modes, I think it's more than worth it.
  6. EZ300

EZ300 Just wanna ride my motorsickle

Oddometer:
    There's over $300 worth of rubber on those rims. So I don't think the price for the wheels is unreasonable. I would still only offer $650 for the wheels and negotiate from there.
  7. killurtv

killurtv free range moron

Oddometer:
    That bike is a screaming deal!!!! I would go for the wheel set too. Congratulations on an excellent find!!!:freaky
  8. a.c.s.

a.c.s. Complaining less

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I can definitely see myself switching out the wheels. I always wanted a second set for my GSA but couldn't justify the price. $1k doesn't seem too bad to me, but I think I would rather put the money towards an aftermarket wheel that'd be a little bit more robust.

Besides, I want to make sure everything is up to par mechanically first - change out the fluids, check the water pump shaft, etc. After that I'll get into the farkles like second sets of wheels.
  9. a.c.s.

a.c.s. Complaining less

Oddometer:
    Were you the one he was going to meet at 2pm yesterday? If you are, I'm very sorry, but he said he was only giving priority to the first person to put cash in his hand...

I think having a more dirt oriented front and something like a K60 in the rear is a good option for me. I was doing the TKC80 front, Tourance rear on GSA and that worked well for met.