TAT on a DR350

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by bhb645, Jul 22, 2014.

1. dyno_dave

dyno_dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It'll take us two days to get to Salida from home. I would expect you to be ahead of us on the trail.
  2. johnyrrr

johnyrrr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looks fun, subscribed.
  3. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    Just checked the surface temp of my DR's muffler after a 2 1/2 hour ride this afternoon - right around 400 degrees F at the hottest point I could find. The silicone things might work as a heat shield after all.
  4. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report, keep up the reports. :clap
  5. FBR

FBR Long timer

Oddometer:
    We had the same road/bridge closed. We just went over it, great ride on the other side! Hope ya didn't miss it.
  6. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    your max speed is gonna go up through OK, carry oil. get's pretty remote on the west side until CO.
  7. bhb645

bhb645 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Posting from a crusty motel in Trinidad, Colorado. First one if the trip paired with a big Mexican dinner is good.

Not much to say about Oklahoma. Started out fun and got progressively worse until it got horrible. We decided to hit the pavement for about 130 miles this morning. After a gas stop, Nick asked if we had turned since the last stop. We hadn't....in almost 60 miles.

Getting to the end of Oklahoma was cool. Big mud puddles. Pete and I both dumped our bikes in the puddles.

We saw about 5 tracks in front of us. Who are yaal? They were fresh.

The horses wanted to chill in eastern Oklahoma. We also got some free peaches here.
    [​IMG]

Who doesn't like that?
    [​IMG]

I found this guy coming along for the ride when we stopped. He was cool.
    [​IMG]

It seems that I make a trail of gear every night.
    [​IMG]

Good site. Felt like one of a limited number in Oklahoma.
    [​IMG]

Big bike on the ground is no fun.
    [​IMG]

New mex
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

New Mexico
    [​IMG]

Great change in scenery after Oklahoma.
    [​IMG]

Does anyone know if this sign ? It's in New Mexico when you make a right turn about 10 miles south of Colorado. We went down the road and a ranch owner came out and said we couldn't continue. He said he turned the group back in front of us and that group told him we'd be coming. We haven't met this group yet and this guy seemed very shifty and strange. Has anyone been turned around here before ?
    [​IMG]

Colorado
    [​IMG]
  8. bhb645

bhb645 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going for a new rear tire, chain, and sprockets off the trail in buena vista Colorado unless there is a better place. No DOT Knobbies in stock but it will work till Moab I think.
  9. FBR

FBR Long timer

Oddometer:
    We got turned around there as well. The rancher is trying to make trophy elk hunting property. We had to take the highway around. I think Sam has been informed that the trail needs to be changed.
  10. 07jkx

07jkx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    that turn around part.... any exact location on it? While my trip is planned for next year, I would prefer to minimize potentially hostile encounters. haha
  11. 07jkx

07jkx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thats what I figured... even with limited area here in Georgia... people still try that. Put of a gate and no trespassing sign. After X number of years you just squatted yourself an extra chunk of land if it goes uncontested.
  12. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep an eye on that oil level. Most DR's burn quite a bit. Run low on oil toast the head/cam. Seems like there currently is a rash of DR's that have been run low on oil and looking for new/used heads.
  13. bhb645

bhb645 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe that these are the GPS coordinates of the No Bikes sign: N36° 57.288' W103° 29.223'

It is about 10-15 miles south of Colorado in New Mexico. You make a right turn from 456 to B039.

I don't think my oil consumption has increased but it is hard to say for sure. I have been checking it at every possible time and it rarely gets towards the bottom of the dipstick before I dump some more in. My bike drinks oil but I'll keep dumpin it in if it takes me to the ocean. I am guessing that it is about 4 oz from the bottom of the dipstick to the full mark.
  14. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    You ought to be fine as far as the oil consumption goes. As long as you're keeping the level up you can't really damage the engine. Mine burns a little oil too but really only when I'm riding at "high" speed on the freeway. Once you get past the flatter, faster terrain, you'll probably start burning less oil.
  15. 07jkx

07jkx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the intel on the no bikes sign!

Sounds like your oil consumption is about the same as mine. It is really noticeable at higher sustained speeds.
  16. dasrider

dasrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed by a fellow DR350 owner! :freaky
  17. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good man. Mine will go from the top of the dip stick to the bottom every three tanks of gas or so.

Agreed that you are fine as long as you are on top of it.
  18. falcn

falcn Squidless Soul Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to jump in but I saw some discussion on Heat shields for the DR250/350 and protecting that side panel with soft bags:

There are these universal clamp on heat shield available like the one I have mounted on my DR250SE. (I need to coat my exhaust!)

[​IMG]

Keeps the side panel from touching the muffler with the bags loaded.

This one is a Giant Loop. AltRider also makes one. Works great!

Kept the bag from getting toasty on a 600 mile round trip:
    [​IMG]
  19. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just following along.
    Have fun.
  20. rhino_adv

rhino_adv Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lurk