Soupy's lowering links?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Hesaid, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    As mentioned elsewhere, we're looking for a bit more lowering for her DR650. The factory drop has been done, and a lower seat in installed, but she'd like another half-inch or inch. A rather helpful member posted a link to a nice set of links, but they were out of stock. Further searching has produced several viable options, and one that cought my eye was this:

http://www.soupysperformance.com/catalog/item/4408900/7531010.htm

I did some searching around here, but didn't come up with much. So, does anyone have them? Anyone have any thoughts on them? The adjustable aspect seems pretty cool, especially as her skills and confidence grow, and future additions to the bike might change ride height. So let me know, get them or no?

MV
  2. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    My KLR came to me with a set of those on it. I had them machined so that I could make the link either shorter, or longer than the stock length links. They have functioned fine for me for the last 7k miles.
  3. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear. I doubt we'll need to go higher, but just the ability to go back to stock should do nicely. If you've had them for 7,000 miles, and they were used when you got them, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they seem to hold up ok. As for the locking nuts, do they have a tendency to work loose, or do they stay where you set them? Or have you done anything to ensure they don't work loose?

MV
  4. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    have not gotten loose and I assembled with coppaslip, not locktite. No issues for me at all.
  5. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok. I didn't hear anything negative, or any reason not to, so links have been ordered.

Now is when everyone chimes in and tells me what a mistake I've made, right? They should be here by the end of the week, so I'll probably have them on by this time next week. Hopefully we'll be able to privide some useful feedback for others.

MV
  6. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, for those who find this thread in the future, I can say that the shipping was certainly prompt. I ordered these over the weekend, knowing that they'd go out on Monday. I got them today. So that part is good.

Now for the install...

MV
  7. zxrider11

zxrider11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride dirtbikes & streetbikes with Soupy, he is a good guy.

Soupy rides a KTM 450EXC, Aprillia SM, Turbo Hayabusa and BMW1000rr.

Will pass along the comment that you were happy with delivery service.
  8. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, the links are installed.

I have to be honest, the installation didn't go all that smoothly. In fact, I can certainly see where some would say it was downright difficult, if not impossible. The links have "eyes" on each end, with holes in the middle of them, for the bolts to pass through. The eyes have a flat surface that the bolt and nut rest against, and then a ring that surrounds either the head of the bolt or the nut, depending on which end we're talking about. Basically, the bolt/nut is nestled a few millimeters into the eye. I like this aspect of the design, I think it both looks clean, and offers some protection to the for the bolt/nut. The thing is, of my four eyes, only one would actually allow the bolt head or nut to fit inside the ring. Two wouldn't even come close. One other was very tight, and could likely have been forced, but that's not really my style, so I didn't.

What I did do, was take my bolts and nuts to work the following day, chuck them up in a lathe, and turn just a bit off of the shoulder. I think the most was just about one millimeter, so we're not talking much. And of course, nothing off of the shaft of the bolts or anything, so it's not like any strength has been sacrificed. It wasn't really a big deal, but it did mean a day long break in the install process. In my case, I had room in the garage for the bike to sit, and had easy access to a lathe, so things still went pretty smoothly, but I can certainly see where this would have really thrown a wrench into someone's plans.

But that's all in the past. The links are installed. The bike is lowered approximately one inch, which is about the minimum the links will allow. Any more adjustment gets a few things a bit too close for my liking. There's still plenty of room to go further (lower), but she's happy with it where it is, so that's where it will stay. All in all, I'm happy to have bought the links, and she's happy to have the bike that extra inch lower, so all is good. I'd still recommend the links, just with a warning that the install might require a bit of work, and take longer than the half hour one might think.

MV
  9. zxrider11

zxrider11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will relay your feedback to Soupy.

Soupy said the DR650 is one of his best sellers.
  10. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like I said, I'm happy to have them. I like this idea much better than guessing and changing, buying and removing, swapping and storing, a bunch of other links trying to get the height right. I haven't Loctited the locknut threads yet, I want to make sure she's happy with everything before I lock it in place, but she's much ahppier with the bike now. Tomorrow we see if she's happy with her new jacket, which she found as a close out for half price. Shame they didn't have the men's...

MV
  11. ZiRider

ZiRider n00b

Oddometer:
    Now, with more than 5 years since the install, how are those links holding up? Any tips?