Adventure Engineering EZ-Pull compact block & tackle system.

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ScienceOfDirt, Jun 21, 2011.

1. ScienceOfDirt

ScienceOfDirt U-Boat Rider

Oddometer:
    The details of group buy are:

The cost is $60/each + shipping. He ships them for a flat $10. I think they would fit in a flat rate padded envelope at $4.95, or the flat rate small box at $5.20, but I would have to ship them after I got them. I'm still working out how to pay for, and get them to you. It will depend on how many actually commit to one. I can certainly ship 5 or so for cost, but if it gets out of hand, I'll let the manufacturer ship them.

You need to order by July 17th, 2011. See post #20. We may repeat this if there is sufficient interest, and the manufacturer agrees to another group buy. I have no financial interest in, nor am I making any money on this, so it is completely up to the manufacturer.

The item is described here

http://www.adventureengineering.com/ae/ezpull_index.cfm

This group buy is ONLY for the EZ-Pull. The manufacturer is not interested in a group buy on the BringAlong.

Also, keep in mind he's a 1 man shop, and I know he only has a few ready to ship. If you need it now, it's not going to work.

In return for doing this group buy, the manufacturer has asked that if you actually use the device in the field, that you post non copyrighted pictures here of the device in use. Some of them may end up on his website, so don't post anything you wouldn't want used in that way.

So far, the following have expressed interest. If you have expressed interest, please subscribe or watch this thread for order information. I will save me having to PM everyone on the list. I'll post a new reply as needed.

ScienceOfDirt -I'll order last
    JDLuke - Ordered
    Pardus - Option 2
    Simplyred - PM sent
    brfinley - Option 2
    Eugene - PM sent
    gonzo2k - Ordered
    ChrisZ - PM sent
    S1am - Ordered
    wdeTA - Ordered
    Raven Rider - PM sent
    Kbroderick - Ordered
    Mr. Canoehead - PM sent
    EdGear - Ordered
    maverickoc - Ordered
    dnrobertson - Ordered
    dcstrom - Ordered
    shoot870p - Option 2
    Motoriley - PM sent
    FJRick - Ordered
    ChiTown - Ordered
    Mike.C - Waiting
  2. ScienceOfDirt

Oddometer:
    OK, the current group buy round is over July 17th, 2011. There are 2 ways to order.

The first way - the preferred way.
    1. Place an order on the website for the regular price+shipping.
    2. Immediately send an email to Victor here -> vmimken at g mail dot com
    3. In the email, state that you are part of the AdvRider group buy, and list your handle.
    4. Upon confirmation of your participation in the group buy, a charge back will be issued for $29.00
    4. Wait for the arrival.
    5. You must order before July 17th to be part of the group buy.

The second way - use this only if you have a problem with the charge back.

The second way is full for this round at 7 interested, 6 paid.

1. PM me to get my PayPal address.
    2. Place a PayPal gift to me for $60 + $5 shipping
    3. In the notes, tell me your Advrider handle.
    4. I will place a bulk order for these on July 18th, and ship them to you when I receive them.
    5. Wait for the arrival.

EDIT: Please post a reply here, or PM me when you have ordered. I don't want anyone to miss the chance.
  3. JDLuke

JDLuke Ravening for delight

Oddometer:
    Thank you for arranging this.

Order placed. I also included the google shopping order number in my email, as that seems like the most solid way to tie our emails to our orders.
  4. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:
    Order placed and email sent.

Thanks.
  5. Raven Rider

Raven Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If someone backs out I'll take their spot for one or wait for the second round.
  6. ScienceOfDirt

Oddometer:
    Raven Rider - Wait until July 15th. If there are any left to ship, I'll add you to the list. I'm pretty sure you'll get one. I just want the people who signed up to get theirs without waiting for more to be produced.
  7. JDLuke

Oddometer:
    Got an email last night, that mine was shipped yesterday. I was never charged for it until yesterday, and it was straight up seventy bucks, no refund required.
  8. ScienceOfDirt

Oddometer:
    I guess there's no reason not to go with option one then. Let me know how it looks when you get it.
  9. JDLuke

Oddometer:
    It came in the mail yesterday. It's even smaller than I expected, and will fit almost any nook or cranny you have available. The metal bits are assembled perfectly and are very nicely finished. Overall it's a lovely little setup.

I need to pick up some nice strong rope to use with it now I guess. I do have one tow strap that I carry, and I guess that will serve for anchoring one end. I almost can't wait now for my buddy Ron to drop his 1200GS off the side of a trail again. :lol3

I'll try to take and post some pictures of the thing later today, but that's iffy. My phone has been acting up lately and I'm never sure if it will be perfectly usable or if it will act like gremlins are running over the surface of the touch-screen.
  10. kbroderick

kbroderick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear the report. I placed an order with method 1 as described above, look forward to having some chance of getting my 1150GS back on the trail if it tries to escape.
  11. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    Put me down if there are any more extras.
  12. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:
    Got mine yesterday, just two days after the email saying it was shipped.

Very small and light. Looks very well made.

My primary reason for getting it was to get the bike up if I dropped it, or get it out of a stuck position. Since I didn't feel like dropping the bike just to test it out, I resorted to the simple test we use for rigging Z-Drags for boating which is to attach it to the ceiling in my garage and my climbing harness and see if I can lift myself off the ground (yes, I realize that violates at least two of the safety precautions).

It rigged easily and had no problem lifting my weight off the ground with pretty minimal effort. The attachment holes are well machined and very smooth so no risk of cutting whatever rope/strap you want to run through it. A standard climbing caribiner will fit through the hole, but depending on the biner shape, it won't rotate all the way through since the bend in the biner has too sharp a radius for the width of the hole.

The spectra cord is more than long enough and strong enough for lifting the bike up or pulling it out of a hole. The spectra line is very thin and stiff however, so it wants to tangle easily. The biggest drawback I see is that the cord is so thin, it is difficult to get a good grip. They include a dowel which definitly helps, but it cannot be reset under tension. This means you can get your initial pull easily, but if you need to regrab the line farther up you might have problems. I might need to see if a clam cleat like winsurfers use might work.

Something like this:
    http://www.clamcleat.com/cleats/cleat_details.asp?theid2=143

or this:
    http://www.clamcleat.com/marketing/news_article.asp?theid=44

In all, I'm pleased with the system and I'm adding it to the gear I carry on trips.
  13. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    Great idea

Hope someone will post a video of it in action :wink:
  14. maverickoc

maverickoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you still can, please put me down for one as well!
  15. JDLuke

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. EdGear

EdGear Edventurer

Oddometer:
    Placed an order on the website, emailed Victor.
    Thanks for arranging this.
    Ed
  17. maverickoc

maverickoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This happened to us on Sunday: Whata Trail in Los Padres National Forrest, about half way up Frazier Mountain: too much for my gal's F650GS twin... Steep rock face section, not enough clearance... :uhoh
    Out came our aztek pulley system and 20 minutes later we had the bike clear (we needed a little longer to catch our breath though :bert).

GOPR0162 Screen shot2.jpg

The Aztek is rated at 36kn and very commonly used as a people rescue system. However, it's 8mm rope also makes it the bulkiest component in my road kit (it takes up more than half the space).

One more comment about pulley ratio: The Aztek has a 4:1, but when you have to "drag" the bike (~440lbs in this case), i.e. because it's crash plate / side stand / foot pegs are sitting on the rock (as happened here) or it's on its side, then 5:1 really makes the difference. In those instances I use a Figure 8 Belay Device at one end of the pulley system to run the rope through one more time, bringing my system up to 5:1.

If I can manage to score one in this bulk sale I'll try out the EZ-Pull next time we go up there - that darn rock face will still be up there, waiting :D
  18. gonzo2k

gonzo2k Adliberator

Oddometer:
    order placed
  19. kbroderick

kbroderick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine arrived quite quickly and looks well-built, solid, etc. Now I just need to come up with a couple of pieces of rope (thinking perhaps retired climbing rope if I can find some) so I can attach the blocks to the bike and an anchor point....and then put it on the bike and hope that I only need to use it to help someone else out. :D
  20. ScienceOfDirt

Oddometer:
    OK, check the first post to make sure that you, or someone you know on the list has either ordered, or been notified. I think I got everyone (sorry if you got more than 1 notice). The group buy is over Friday, July 15th, 2011. As some people work odd shifts, are out of town, etc., you must place your order on or before July 17th, 2011. That gives you the whole weekend to order, or decide if you want it or not.