Side Effects throwing out some bait...

Discussion in 'Hack Vendors' started by brockoli, Mar 1, 2011.

1. brockoli

brockoli Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a pic for you guys and gals to ponder over. I have more, but photobucket is not being friendly right now and I don't know if I can post a facebook link up to view the photo album that all the pictures are in.
    -Brock Smith
    Side Effects

IMG_5146.jpg
  2. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    Oh man! Nice.

Hey Red!! Look at THESE welds! :lol3

I'm really satisfied with the service and features that SmugMug provides, Brock. No ads, custom pages, videos, backups. Fairly inexpensive for what is provided.
  3. D.Bachtel

D.Bachtel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nipomo ,,,, Where HWY 101 and HWY 166 collide!
    Need more bait Brock, and Ralph is correct... that is some fine metal stitching going on. :wink:

Sooo... more bait plaese!

Don in Nipomo
  4. brockoli

Oddometer:
    IMG_5152.jpg

removable aluminum rocker arm mounting plate, lots of stuff in a little bit of room ;)
  5. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    facebook?
  6. brockoli

Oddometer:
    Hi Everyone, Here are some links to check out while our website is being redone. We specialize in everything from basic installs of sidecars and trikes, to full blown custom fabrication of what ever you like, racks, hitches, sub-frames, suspension, exhaust, wheels, off road, etc. We have been in the industry a VERY long time and have done work with and for customers and manufacturers all over the world. We are the people that build the 'Steerite' triple clamps that have been put on hundreds and hundreds of peoples trikes and sidecars. We also developed the original 'Leading Legs' as well as our 'Leverite' kits for you BMW guys with trikes and hacks.
    I will do my best in answering what ever questions you may have as well as the best way to go about doing some things that are sidecar or trike related. Feel free to post below and I will reply. Check out the links below and see whats been going on.

Thanks for the go-ahead on the link. Here it is direct link to the photo album pages.
    http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=144069652295470

Here is the link to the 'wall' with information that may interest some people.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Side-E...44069652295470

This is my first post in the vendors forum, I have read the 'read before you post' rules and I believe I am with in them. If not, please contact me and I will adjust accordingly. Thanks to all the moderators for keeping this a great site!
    Regards,
    Brock Smith
    Side Effects
  7. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    Hey Brock! :wave

Cool pics! Thanks for your participation.
  8. uraldog

uraldog vagabond

Oddometer:
    fuck face book -- post it here -- Face Book is for the YUPPY crowd
  9. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    Like! :thumb :lol3
  10. brockoli

Oddometer:
    I know, but it's a good outlet for keeping things rolling while our website is being completely redone. If it was finished already I would have just posted up the web page link. I will do that when it is completed. Thanks for your understanding.
    -Brock Smith
  11. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    Brock your Facebook page is amazing, Nice to know people don't need to resource to Europe to get some really trick stuff..:ricky

Please post the pictures of your amazing work here or get some photo site and share them here.

Congratulations again, Your guys are really good at your job and your welder(s) is miss at his old "plastic Surgeon" job, FuckMe he is good, hell God:clap
  12. brockoli

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I was trying to upload the pictures to my photobucket account but the sizes of some of the pictures are huge so I have to go through and resize them all first. The welder/fabricator/ designer is me, thanks, not been one for blood and gore of plastic surgery though, hahaha, I'll stick to the metal stuff :) Gerry is the one that does all of the Steerites so I can't take credit for his fine handy work either. I will post a link to the photobucket page when I have all the photos uploaded, keep checking in.
    -Brock Smith
  13. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    No, No ,No get your self a Smugmug account and get Treated like the pro you are a deserve, Is not to expensive, super easy to use, Link and you can keep all your photos at full size

Man Brock you are really good, What kind of training do you have, Aircraft, Military, Racing machines,,,etc...?

Hey do you have any pictures of your "Shop tools"...:evil
    Well Congratulate Gerry too, You guys make some really fancy stuff and so so Beautiful too
  14. brockoli

Oddometer:
    I will look in to the smugmug. Thanks

As for training, Gerry is a ticketed welder, did the schooling etc and is very trained in what he does. As for me, I guess when you've been around this stuff from day one you get to pick up all the skills that get passed along, my dad (Peter Smith) has taught me a lot. I have a huge interest in fabrication and always have. I was in the bicycle industry (mechanic in the DH wonderland that is Kamloops, birth of Freeriding) for about 13 years and have a huge understanding of suspensions and their workings as well as geometry and what works and what doesn't. I have my own shop doing fabrication work as well (bumpers, roll cages, custom stainless exhausts and headers, all custom) and it just comes to me, sounds cocky maybe, but sometimes I look at the finished product and think, 'Did I just build that?'. Soon the two shops will become one, as we are moving Side Effects to it's new location (my new shop, built to handle both businesses) as my mom and dad 'retire'. My wife does all the office work and Gerry and myself are in the shop. I'll be 32 this year and I think a fresh outlook on some things is a benefit, in any business, but when you're dealing with the weird contraptions that sidecars are ;) , and have been, for the last 100+ years, it's good to get out of the 'we do it this way cause that's the way it's always been done' rut. Not to say the old way isn't good, just trying to inject some fresh ideas in to the world that is sidecars.
    Thanks for the compliments, I'm off to adjust my hat now, hahahaha.
    -Brock Smith
    Side Effects
  15. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Fuck 32 Years old............!!!!!!!!!

Brock your work is so "mature", is very factual, Very technical, No "Decorations" Is also easy to tell about your Bicycle background (I'm big onto Bikes too, Nicolai's, Balfa's all that fun stuff) who did you work with...??

Even if I'm not a sidecar owner Yet, I very much appreciate when something is done "just right" and for sure you craft is the shit.:clap:clap:clap:clap
  16. brockoli

Oddometer:
    I worked with a shop that was a Rocky Mountain/Trek/Norco dealer in the mid to late 90's (been wrenching since i was 14) and worked with the guys from Rocky as their 'Frorider' team was taking effect. Name drop time... Brett Tippie, Wade Simons, Richey Schley, to name a few. Moved from there, got married, moved back to town, worked at the Bicycle Cafe with an awesome couple of people and worked on free riders to road race bikes and everything in between for Graham Agassiz and Matt Hunter to B.C. road racers bikes to paraplegic hand cycles and wheel chair wheels, (I love building wheels). Well known in the bicycle mechanicing circle here. They were fun times, now I'm taking over my dads stuff, it's fun, always a challenge, still haven't figured out how to add more time to the clock so I can get stuff done on time though, the joys of custom stuff.
    Thanks, any mountain bike questions, fire away, hahaha, i haven't forgotten.
    -Brock
  17. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Great have you ever seeing the Nicolai-G-Boxx bikes

They use to look like this using a 14 speed "External" Rohloff hub as a gear box
    [​IMG]

Now the look like this, Nine speed Integrated gear box at the crank, such a amazing evolution
    [​IMG]

Ps: Building wheels is one of my favorite things to do in the whole world, Including BMW GS wheels if I have to do it
  18. BMWzenrider

BMWzenrider Too slow to get out of my own way...

Oddometer:
    Ok, I have a couple of questions about this sidecar hub setup if you don't mind... :ear

[​IMG]

I am a little bit confused about the adjustments.

It appears that you have provided provisions for being able to adjust for both Camber and Toe at the sidecar hub, but I get lost about how there is any freedom of movement for the Toe adjustment.
    I can see the pivots to allow for the Camber, but for Toe it appears that the hub is fixed and would not be allowed to rotate in that axis.

Or am I missing something?

-----

Also, is the Unit Hub that you are using from a particular make/model of vehicle, or a generic unit?
    What is the bolt pattern on them?
    How much do they cost?
    It looks like they are set up for a drive shaft, correct?

Thanks in advance for your help!
  19. brockoli

Oddometer:
    no problem, the two 'pivots for camber adjustment are poly-urethane with sleeves inside. The toe in adjustment at the hub needs to move such a tiny amount because we are changing the actual wheel location instead of the conventional method of re-aligning the complete sidecar frame. The smallest movement here makes the toe-in, measured at the front wheel, a large amount when measured there. The poly bushings are capable of moving that small amount and because they aren't pivoting constantly like they would do in a a-arm or leaf spring, they get held in place by the tie rod toe adjuster, can't go anywhere and all the small road vibrations that would transmit through a rod end or uni-ball are somewhat taken care of being dampened out by having the wheel isolated from the swingarm, and the swingarm has poly pivots as well. Hope this answers your questions. It is a little bit of abuse on the bushings there, but think of the loads they would see on a flexed out leaf spring, not even close to what this is having to do. Thanks for taking the time to look through the pictures.
    -Brock Smith
    Side Effects
  20. brockoli

Oddometer:
    missed your second question about the hubs. They are unit hubs for a Chrysler Sebring of all things, why you ask, they fit the best out of all the different mounting bolt patterns. The bolt pattern is 5 on 114.5 I think, I'd have to double check. Turns out to be the same bolt pattern as the ZX-14 front brake rotors being used all around and as fun as parts sourcing is, it shares the same spline as a Dodge Dakota front CV joint from the 4x4 trucks which has a companion flange mount instead of a spline stub which is way harder to mount to. It all worked out great, things fit together good and will be more than durable enough for the power and weight of this machine compared to that of the trucks and cars the parts have been sourced from.
    Another note, I got the sidecar suspension and tilt all done today, pictures will be up on our site tonight, I may post one in here too :)
    Check back often.
    Thanks to everyone,
    Brock Smith
    Side Effects