Beemer Buddies handgrip covers group buy for BMW bikes (from Cure for Skinny Grips)

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by adkjack, Oct 14, 2011.

1. kevinj

kevinj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, my BBs arrived yesterday (that's pretty fast shipping). I mounted them today and spent about 2 hours on the bike (r12gs). It's definitely an improvement - the grips feel a lot bigger and are easier to control. I have a long trip planned next week (2000 miles) so that'll be the real test, but I'm already confident they'll easily deliver more than $25 in improvement :).
  2. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    I had them on my RT, and they were one of the first things to go on my GS/A. I have big hands, and the BBs make it easier to deep a relaxed grip on the controls.
  3. adkjack

adkjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    '05Train-

And that is one of the main reasons I developed these grips. I knew as a motorcycle safety instructor that if folks had a "relaxed grip" on their handlebars, that they would ultimately have better control and have more focus available for their rider radar in order to stay safer.

Thanks for your input.

Best,

Dave R.
  4. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the product Dave.

It's amazing how many aches, pains, and problems with the motorcycle can be cured by using "soft hands" on the grips.
  5. adkjack

adkjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Amen Brother!
  6. adkjack

adkjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quick Announcement-

Just wanted you guys to know that we will be at
    Americade in Warrensburg at the new location for vendors:
    the Warren County Fairgrounds, Schroon River road. This is the first (hard) right after the Ford dealer when you come into Warrensburg (about 5 miles north of Lake George on Rt. 9). It is about a mile and a half down the road on the right after you make the turn. Plenty of free bike parking, about 40 vendors, free admission to the venue, and I will have plenty of bottles of cold water on hand for inmates.

Looking forward to seeing you guys there!

Best,

Dave R.
  7. adkjack

adkjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    kevinj-

Have a great time on your trip. Hope you'll have good weather. stay safe, and enjoy the OBB's.

Best,

Dave R.
  8. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    we got our grips today and will get them in place asap. More later when I have something to actually say...:D They feel sweet just playing with them on the over the grips.
  9. adkjack

adkjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to it!
  10. adkjack

adkjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Leslie-

Did you get a chance to install the OBB's? What do you think?

Dave R.
  11. soph9

Oddometer:
    Yep all is good just trying to find time to post pics and a post on the BLOG...although my hands are smaller than most folks who ride they seem to be a great solution to my grips that needed to be replaced. I have to get used to the extra width but believe the neoprene will mold to my hand a bit more as I ride.

I will elaborate more later but I think what you have done here is taken a common sense approach to grips, made a very good product that most of wish we thought of and so easy to install. Oh and I LOVED your packaging....the lollipop is a nice touch Dave!
  12. adkjack

adkjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KEWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLl!
  13. Kurt

Kurt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Order placed!
  14. bmwgsrider

bmwgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dave,

Are you going to be at the RA Rally?

Thanks.
  15. adkjack

adkjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bmwgsrider-
    Unfortunately, that's not one I can make, even though I would really like to be there. I will be at National in July, though.

Best,

Dave R.
  16. soph9

Oddometer:
    Keep an eye out on our blog on Sunday....you grips will be featured!:D:wink:
  17. soph9

Oddometer:
    So here is our initial review of the grips. After July and we get back from a 2 week trip I will post if our opinions change...

GRIP BUDDIES REVIEW HERE

:D

<header class="entry-header"> Get a GRIP&#8230;Need new GRIPS?

<time class="entry-date" datetime="2012-06-10T05:46:39+00:00" pubdate="">June 10, 2012</time> by advgrrls

</header>

[​IMG]

Every once in while you come across a little accessory that is so simple yet ingenious when you see someone like Dave R. come around. Both our grips on our Beemers are about shot and I find myself scratching my head thinking, &#8220;How the hell are we going to change the grips since the heating elements are right underneath the stock grips?&#8221; Maybe not a big deal to cut the originals off and replace them but something has stopped us from buying new ones even though Leslie could have replaced hers 1000&#8242;s of KM&#8217;s ago.

Anyway, I go to the ADV Riders Forum and find Dave&#8217;s thread in the Vendors section of the forum and read. Read all the riders reviews and thought to myself&#8230;why not, his Grip Buddies are inexpensive so it can&#8217;t hurt the wallet to give this guy a chance. So, off I went to the ORIGINAL GRIP BUDDIES website and bought two sets in two seconds.

Also you should LIKE their FB page! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The packaging we LOVED and the lollipop is such a nice &#8220;sweet&#8221; touch. Thanks Dave. Oh, and before our order was shipped Dave contacted me a few times just to make sure everything was right with my address and he kept in good contact regarding the actual ship date etc.

[​IMG]

Piece of cake to install. No need to go into details here but it took just a few minutes to get them on. Dave includes easy to read instructions and on his website you can see him install these on his beautiful BMW. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are thicker than the stock and for Leslie having small hands they sure feel thicker at first. Cheryl has very large hands and no issues there. I played around with the heated grips and sure enough like advertised you can feel the heat through the neoprene covers. So, in a nut shell, many would say &#8220;Oh man I will just make my own.&#8221; You could but Dave really has thought these out and made sure they would stay put once in place. Safety should be Dave&#8217;s middle name.

My theory about the thickness is that I hope after riding a lot and with normal wear and tear the neoprene will compress a bit and &#8220;break in&#8221;. Time will tell.

I can tell he is an ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) type of guy. They are well made, simple and a perfect solution to covering your grips versus the tedious task of cutting old ones off and carefully I might add and then replacing them with expensive new grips.

[​IMG]

Dave sells these for other bikes as well not just Beemers.

[​IMG]

They feel so comfy to be honest, like having an in sole in your shoe. They do not impede your ability to get to the clutch of use your throttle. Easy as pie. They also look nice too!

[​IMG]

I give Dave and his ORIGINAL GRIP BUDDIES an A+ for thinking up these things, for making them in the USA and of course the lollipops! So, highly recommended and why not? For $19 they are the best thing out there to make our lives so easy!

According to his website he will be making some more accessories to these grips, he sells Hi-Viz tape and stuff like that. Check the site out. Like we said when we try something that really seems so simple but so convenient and good we have to pass the info along!
  18. adkjack

adkjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Introducing OBB "Extreme Duty" Grips

First, Leslie: Very well thought out and comprehensive write-up. Very Impressive.

My news is very simple and straightforward. Because I am starting to have a much larger universe of customers, new and interesting things are bound to be suggested and to pop up. Consequently, we responded to a call to design and produce a model of our grips which could be used in more extreme circumstances. Here are the features of our new "Extreme Duty" model in comparison with our standard Sharkskin model:

1. Provides the user with a more resilient "wetsuit-like" outer material, which is "sleeker" and smoother than the sharkskin model. This material is not easy to wear out, and I actually prefer it for use on my own motorcycle. This is (of course) a very subjective opinion.

2. While being a bit less water resistant than the Sharkskin, keep in mind that the Seal Teams use this material to assure that Seals are warm and dry during all of their underwater operations, so it has to be pretty effective at resisting moisture.

3. The inherent "sleekness" of my new Extreme Duty's is such that users who think the Sharkskins are too thick may actually prefer these for their "sleek" feeling. Notwithstanding their sleekness, they are very effective at "relaxing" your death grip, adequately filling your hands for better control, and reducing vibrations and relieve cramping and hand numbness like the Sharkskins.

4. They utilize our new 220 degree F, Hook Velcro, which is bound to help those users who may experience adhesion problems in extreme heat etc. this new hook is now incorporated in all of our grips.

5. In concert with #4, above, adhesion promoter is shipped with all of the Extreme Duties to assure no slippage of the hook adhesive in extreme circumstances. The good news is that after exhaustive testing, we have determined that use of the adhesion promoter does not harm your existing grips, but functions well to keep your new OGB's "stuck" to your stock grips in all kinds of adverse conditions.

Leslie: I would like to request that you and Cheryl act as testers for my new models, so I will be sending a couple free sets to you for your review. Will be in touch to discuss with you.

Thanks again for the great write up, and I will be in touch soon.

Best,

Dave R.

Short Note- This new model of my grips is so new that they haven't even been added to my website, so look for them to be added later this week, and not available to ship till sometime next week. Thanks. DJR.
  19. soph9

Oddometer:
    NP Dave of course we will be your testers. As for the thickness of these covers...They seem fine for the warmer months without wearing heated gloves. I was playing around with my gloves today and because my hands are small it was a little too much for me while wearing my Gerbings. Having said that I do have extremely small hands.

I look forward to testing our your new grips. At least you will have options for the riders out there. Nothing wrong with that!:freaky
  20. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a set after reading through a good bit of this thread. Price appears to be $25 now and not $19. I didn't see an option for the new grips on the website, but it looks like the site is still being worked on. I'm only a state away from where they are coming from so it shouldn't be long until I get them hopefully.