BMW G650 X Challenge SM Questions

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Jolly705, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Jolly705

Jolly705 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look what showed up in the mail today :D

[​IMG]
  2. tdv

tdv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know what it is! A little bundle of awesomeness!
  3. QUIRKSM

QUIRKSM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well whats the hold up Jolly? How are they (not like i don't know already) but i want another persons opinion. And since you do a lot of aff road riding i just wanted to see your take on the distanzias.

I never did much off road riding but now i find myself looking for powerline trails and the like on every ride. So far the distanzias have been great in everything but mud, and even then they held their own
  4. tdv

tdv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Indeed, I myself eagerly awaiting a report on the brake rotor.. (hope it's crappy so I don't have to spend the $$$ on one :lol3 )
  5. Jolly705

Jolly705 Long timer

Oddometer:
    okay okay... Here is my impression based on a short ride. A full ride report will follow tomorrow afternoon after I actually put some serious miles on her.
    I love the way bike feels and handles with the 17's. I had to cut my right fork guard in order to fit the wheels without any rubbing, just a tiny bit. Did anyone else have to do that?
    OKay back to braking, I rode around NYC, a lot of stop and going and the rotor and wheel combo is night and day in the braking department. It feels amazing and stops on a dime in comparison. I will be doing a couple hundred miles tomorrow so I will give you a real report. I only went about 10 miles so far around the city, so far and SUPER impressed with the change. Here are some Pics :evil More details tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. Jolly705

Jolly705 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well after a day or riding with X with SM wheels I must say I am super impressed. The new braking rotor and 17 inch front is amazing, I was worried about doing a track day but after today my fear is gone. I think the braking will be plenty good for a track day. I am pretty sure the improved braking is due to the combination of the new rotor and tire but either way I am very happy with the result. I have been playing with the clickers up front and I finally think I have the front end nice and stable. I had a 100 psi in the rear shock for the dirt which I really like but felt wayyyyyy to stiff for the road. I just dropped it to 90 psi and will have to take it for a spin after. What setting are you guys running for SM with front and rear suspension?
    Here is a pic from digi in the beginning of the ride :evil

[​IMG]
  7. halo99

halo99 n00b

Oddometer:
    I own the Xmoto, I have yet to take it off-road; however, on the street, she is a great deal of fun! In fact, yesterday morning on my way home from work was the first time I actually jumped it on purpose. I need to work on my technique as I am certain I am no Travis Pastrana. BUT... what a hoot, I look forward to taking her off-road in the near term! :thumb
  8. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    Hey Jolly how you like the X-Challenge compared to the Duke or 625 SMC?

I'm thinking hard about getting an X-Challenge...
  9. QUIRKSM

QUIRKSM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jolly -good to hear you like the setup. I was told i might have to cut the fork gaurd but all i did was sand a little bit off the top corner and it hasn't hit the tire yet. As for suspension i don't know how many clicks one way or the other but i think i have the comp. like 2/3 from full stiffness and the rebound a little higher at like 3/4 (if that makes any sense) and the rear shock i run 110 to 115psi on hard damping (i weigh 230lbs) So far this is the best i have gotten it. the rear just soaks up everything but is stiff enough for more spirited riding, the front is a little stiff at times but if i go softer it will dive too much under front brake application

Halo - funny you should mention that cause on my ride yesterday i jumped mine for the first time, it was awesome, i'll have to find more spots around town to jump.
  10. Jolly705

Jolly705 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually like the X Challenge way better than the Duke or 625. The motor is way smoother! They all have very similar power. I opened the airbox and added a slip on to X and it really improved the throttle response and power. The other great thing is you throw on a new pipe and run the bike for 10 minutes the FI makes the adjustments and you are good to go, no carbs :clap I really think you would be happy with the change. The only thing that some people don't like is the suspension but for dual sport and street riding it works great for me. If I was full out racing the bike it would prob. need some tweaking. NOW I have no comparison to the new 690's but for 3500-4000 cheaper I am sure it can't be that much better :lol3

110-115 psi in the rear is high! WOW.... I am around 165-170 though and normally run 100 in the woods/ whoops. I have to play with rear. I am not sure what my settings are for the front but I know I am 4 clicks out on rebound and 4 clicks harder on compression in comparison to my dirt setup.
    I have jumped the X off road several times, she lands hard but not horrible, I have to do so on the street, but than again I only rode it once, haha...
  11. tdv

tdv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now you'd done it! I'll have to get myself one of those rotors.

I didn't have to cut the fork guard, I still have a few millimeters clearance and it doesn't rub.

As for suspension, I haven't changed it yet. It was adjusted for 50/50 by a local suspension shop, I'm afraid to touch it =) I wouldn't mind a stiffer front though, so I might as well play with it.

I have Ohlins rear shock so I can't comment on the air shock setup.

It doesn't feel very planted in high speed turns, it wallows a bit, but I sort of assumed it's inevitable with this suspension. May be it's fixable.

What gearing are you guys running? XChallenge stock?
    I have Xmoto gearing, but thinking of switching back to XChallenge stock in front, since it definitely feels less punchier than before. Although highway feels nice and relaxed.
  12. Jolly705

Jolly705 Long timer

Oddometer:
    TDV
    Playing with your suspension is fun and key to learn what is going on, just remember to write down what you do incase you hate it :huh If it is wallows in high speed turns I would go up in the compression a few clicks, it may help you out a lot.
    As for gearing I am running stock X Challenge but I think I would like a 16 up front for serious long distance rides to keep the RPM's down when I am on the highway. In the back roads the stock gearing feels great.
  13. The Red Wonder

The Red Wonder Full of Wonder

Oddometer:
    For you guys who have put on the 17s, does the ABS still function correctly?