Wunderlich 2011 F650GS ooops

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Emperor Norton, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    So I took my 2011 F650GS into the dealer this Saturday. I was told 1.5 hrs for the 600mile service, throwing on Touratech hand guards, the Touratech nose/mud extension and the Wunderlich ADV Crash bars. So 2hrs into it "Theres a problem with the crash bars, somethings taking longer, another 30min and you're gone". After 3 hrs I asked them to bypass the side stand switch.

The problem is: On a 2011 F650GS (Not lowered) the wunderlich crash bars break the functionality of the stock sidestand switch.

After all this I'm actually happy. Why? The dealer didn't burn me for the extra time it took for them to call Wunderlich and troubleshoot the bars and I got to beta hardware on a new vehicle with only a little lost time as the ill effect. I have to go back, eh. I need more farkles anyways.

If you have a 2011 F650 (possibly F800) and you get the Wunderlich bars watch out for this.
  2. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    What is different about the 2011 over the 2010 that makes this so?
  3. Emperor Norton

Oddometer:

They weren't 100% certain but thought that the 2011 footpegs/mounting brackets were relocated to where they usually were on the factory lowered models.
  4. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    Geez I didn't realize the factory lowering messed with where the foot pegs were located - only seat height and rear suspension.... :huh
  5. Emperor Norton

Oddometer:

Im not entirely sure thats it. The issue had only previously been seen on lowered models, so something isn't quite where it used to be. Hopefully Ill know more next weekend.
  6. nuland

nuland Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This exact thing happened to me on my F650 2010 model, the lower mounting point on the left side needs more radius (see picture) in order to clear the switch... nothing that a dremel cannot fix quickly instead of going thru the whole returning process.

[​IMG]

I did contact Wunderlich and they say this is completely new for them... rats! There are a couple of posts in this forum describing that same issue.