What is Adventure Motorcycling?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by bone13, Mar 17, 2012.

1. bone13

bone13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A friend who doesn't ride the other day asked me "What exactly is adventure motorcycling?"

It made me stop for a minute to think about what IS the definition of "Adventure Motorcycling"?
    Honestly its a clever marketing term for our big expensive dual sport touring bikes decked to the gills with travel gear and protective equipment. But it's much more than that... some might say "it's a mind set of a select group of crazy motorcyclists willing to take these bikes to places no one in their "right mind" would go!"

Philosophically I really started to pondering the term.
    Is it just a mind set or are there rules to what makes "Adventure Motorcycling"
    Do you have to travel the globe into foreign countries with dirt roads limited access to a dealer network?
    Or does a weekend camping trip on gravel and roads in your own "back yard" qualify?
    Does it even have to require off roading or camping?

So, I pose it to you my fellow inmates, help me to define "Adventure Motorcycling" to the non initiated:
    What does the term mean to you?
    *And the age old motorcycle phrase "if I have to explain it you wouldn't understand" doesn't fly here... LOL

I'm just really curious to see what eveyone's thoughts are. :lurk
  2. Barman

Barman Way Offline

Oddometer:
    ad·ven·ture/adˈvenCHər/

<TABLE class=ts sb_id="ms__id9009"><TBODY sb_id="ms__id9010"><TR sb_id="ms__id9011"><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; COLOR: #666; PADDING-TOP: 5px" vAlign=top width=80 sb_id="ms__id9012">Noun:</TD><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" vAlign=top sb_id="ms__id9013"><TABLE class=ts sb_id="ms__id9014"><TBODY sb_id="ms__id9015"><TR sb_id="ms__id9016"><TD sb_id="ms__id9017">An unusual and exciting, typically hazardous, experience or activity.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR height=1 bgColor=#ddd sb_id="ms__id9018"><TD height=1 colSpan=2 sb_id="ms__id9019"></TD><TR sb_id="ms__id9020"><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; COLOR: #666; PADDING-TOP: 5px" vAlign=top width=80 sb_id="ms__id9021">Verb:</TD><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" vAlign=top sb_id="ms__id9022"><TABLE class=ts sb_id="ms__id9023"><TBODY sb_id="ms__id9024"><TR sb_id="ms__id9025"><TD sb_id="ms__id9026">Engage in hazardous and exciting activity, esp. the exploration of unknown territory: "they had adventured into the forest".</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR height=1 bgColor=#ddd sb_id="ms__id9027"><TD height=1 colSpan=2 sb_id="ms__id9028"></TD><TR sb_id="ms__id9029"><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; COLOR: #666; PADDING-TOP: 5px" vAlign=top width=80 sb_id="ms__id9030">Synonyms:</TD><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" vAlign=top sb_id="ms__id9031">noun. venture
    verb. risk - venture - hazard - jeopardize - dare - jeopard
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE id=wn><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Noun</TD><TD vAlign=top>1.</TD><TD>[​IMG]motorcycling - riding a motorcycle; "motorcycling is a dangerous sport" cycling - the sport of traveling on a bicycle or motorcycle
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  3. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's when you make up a really good story and tell it to someone at a rally. Dave
  4. bone13

bone13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl:lol3
  5. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't seem to know what that means anyway as I have never been asked that nor do I tell people it's "what I'm in too". People ask about riding a dual sport and I tell them the benefits. I like riding on the road and I love being able to take it off road.
  6. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    riding to a new place you havent been before is what i think of it.
  7. bone13

bone13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Always a smart ass in every crowd... But as I often say, it's better than being a dumb ass! lol ;)

Seriously though, A reasonably "simple definition" could be created from that I suppose-

Adventure Motorcycling: a hazardous and exciting exploration of unknown territory by motorcycle

Though, to some of my non-riding friends, that could be any motorcycle ride across town... lol
  8. lp6

lp6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is the sound of one hand clapping.
  9. Benton629

Benton629 Business Casual

Oddometer:
    It's the fun you have when you ride your motorcycle.
    Whether to Wal Mart or Alaska, it is about the adventure.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    riding longer distances on paved and dirt roads day after day while being self supported with camping gear and spending each night in a different spot.

that's our definition and Touratech shares that with us.
  11. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's nothing to do with the style of the bike and all about the ride.
  12. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  13. flienlow

flienlow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is Adventure Motorcycling? -It's buying an over priced motorcycle and gear that are built for a ride you will never make.:rofl
  14. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    Dude, that is brilliant. And unfortunately too true for too many people... of course not me... I can't believe touratech never has sales!
  15. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:

This is by far the best answer to an even funnier question.
  16. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
  17. TCAdventure

TCAdventure Been here forever ... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adventure motorcycling is deliberately getting lost, whether minutes or miles from home, only so you can find your way back using whatever route is necessary for you to follow your map, your compass, the sun, the horizon, or your instinct ...
  18. Desert Skies

Desert Skies One brick shy...

Oddometer:
    Meh, GSAs are for pussies. Real men ride Goldwings. :1drink

[​IMG]
  19. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well that rules out a huge chunk of the people here who rely on a GPS. So if it involves a GPS, then by definition it isn't Adventure Motorcycling :scratch
  20. Snowbound

Snowbound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfect
    I have been stuck out in the "bush" as well as on some street or highway that I didn't really want to be at .
    So does that qualify me as an Adventure Motorcycle person?