Front fender half Carbon Fiber Fender.....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ebrabaek, Jul 19, 2013.

1. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I am readying the GS for RMAR in Silverton, CO next week, I needed to make a front fender half, to protect the radiator. Actually I have had no issues with the rad, except the fan tends to seize, with all the crud that it slings up ( Known issue on the GS) So I thought I'd whip up a quick one. I would/will post the pics here, but as I have so many photo's @ photobucket, I have reached my monthly bandwith, and thus will not be able to post again, until the 22'nd. I did not want to let you hang, so I will enclose a link to my FB page, where they are also hosted, and upload them here on the 22, as the account resets.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/....1073741834.437413126297979&type=3&uploaded=1
  2. txtallywhacker

txtallywhacker I pooped today!

Oddometer:
    i guess im not getting it. my front fender i used hangs down past the radiator and protects it completly, does yours not?
  3. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 8GS does not have "traditional front fender" but a hugger front fender, like a road bike. They have been known to splinter while riding, with brake lines crisscrossing it, they lock up the front wheel, and you ....ehhhhh... wipe out:D. It also tends to clog with mud, and block the tire from spinning. By removing that low hugger fender, and route the dual brake lines like a mx bike you solved one problem, but created another. The front wheel ( now slinging up everything) will seize the rad. fan over time, thus need for some protecting is still there. The "half fender swinging aft of the tripple will remedy this.:clap:clap
  4. txtallywhacker

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

see how mine goes down past the radiator in the back? did you just not put a new fender on at all? if you didnt then hell yeah itll gum up a radiator! u catch a big rock and itll do more than that...
  5. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    How many broken fenders have you heard about?
  6. DoWorkSon

DoWorkSon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know a few people have posted regarding the front fender breaking. There is a good video floating around from a helmet cam where the fender breaks and sends the rider flying.... I think the other big complaint about the F800's designs is that the fender will get gunked up with mud, the front wheel will seize, and you are screwed
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did not know you had done the mod. Sorry, I did not mean to come across as schooling you on the 8GS, I simply guessed you did not have one, and guessed wrong.....:D Yeppers.... a few thousand miles in the dirt with no fender......:D:D:freaky
  8. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two, here on the forum. One crashed pretty hard, other one fared better. Then a few more who says they knew someone... etc.
  9. txtallywhacker

Oddometer:
    bring it on man. i just got the bike, the more i learn the better ! !
  10. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    Mine cracked first single track ride I went on, less than a couple hundred miles on it.
  11. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome.... I thought I saw you attending RMAR..... we can share war stories then.....:D:clap:freaky
  12. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeppers..... I was ancious to remove it, but simply wanted to retain the beak..... And have not gotten to it....:D. Next will be a 2-3 inch beak extension, to keep the front splatter to a minimum.
  13. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    I saw the video from the roadie. (trying to remember his handle, lost, roadie in motion) Not coming to me. That was the only one I had heard of.

I figured you might have done some research and found if there were others. Mines still intact with 27K miles.

David
  14. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    As were mine when I took it off, but are not wanting mine to be exposed.
  15. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    I thought you just wanted to change the looks. :lol3

David
  16. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL..... Not this time. Ironically, i don't do the CF for the looks. I actually believes that the looks is a benefit, that comes second to the usability..... Not kidding either. I have had many people mocking me over the years, but it is the truth. For me to make anything, it has to be practical, other why it is a no go. Remember the first piece I did on the GS.... the airbox cover. It was not done for looks, as many thought, but to pave the way for the dashboard/usb charger....:D I was testing the fender'less setup for a few thousand miles, and was astonished about how little gunk that was thrown up into the rad, until I saw the fan siezed more than once. Then it became a priority. I guess, I am old and stubborn... No wait... just stubborn.....:lol3:lol3
  17. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Done.......
    As the PB unlocks on July 22 I will post the pictures here.
  18. txtallywhacker

Oddometer:
    so there is room under the airbox cover right, i was thinkin what if you made an airbox cover that has a little door on it that you could press to open and keys and maybe some folded up gloves or a cell phone could go in there? kind of like where the ktm adv's fuses are. just thinking out loud..
  19. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeppers.
    That is an option, that I have toy'ed with. I do believe I mentioned that in the build thread. I just have not prioritized digging yet. But that was the final idea. A quite nice on, so as to have access to fuses, as you mentioned, as it is a pain to have to remove the cover, because your trail compressor busted the 3 amp fuse, and you had to install a 5 amp unit...... Dont ask how I know this, and I wasn't even airing up my own bike....LOL.:clap:freaky
  20. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's the 22nd.... :rofl