Calgarians that dualsport

Discussion in 'Canada' started by macuser, Feb 9, 2009.

1. flossandfly

flossandfly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rough luck on that big bmw. Hope you have a speedy and ful recovery.

Someone was asking about items to include in a first aid kit. The instrictor of my first aid course recommended

Sam splint - a light rigid splint
    Polysporin for burns
    Second skin for burns or blisters

Wouldnt have helped on that hooligan ride, but useful for less serious stuff.
  2. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    That's all that Victor and I could see looking over the bike tonight... You could jump on it tomorrow and ride it to California. Okay, maybe not Peter, but I sure could :evil

I think I have gone up a few notches in prestige now with that fine bavarian bike parked in my garage. Neighbor probably thinks I knocked off a bank or something.

Peter - I'm meeting your brother tomorrow am to transfer over the jacket (w/house keys), helmet (it took a beating), gloves, tank bag and side cases.

Hope the pain meds are doing their job for you.

Cheers,
    Andy
  3. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there any interest in starting a casual Rally group in the Calgary area? I recently got a small taste of roll chart/road book navigation and it was a blast. We've got great terrain for in it Southern Alberta.

Being that someone has to go out and make/check the route, it wouldn't be any feasible for a couple people to do as you would already know the route so it wouldn't be any fun to go out and navigate it. If there were several people interested then everyone could take turns making routes for the others to ride.

The Rally Navigator program makes it pretty easy to create route and print roll charts using Google Earth.

Anyone interested?
  4. Cowtowner

Cowtowner Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the accident and hope the rider gets well soon.
  5. ThePedro

ThePedro Soil Compaction Guy

Oddometer:
    Andy,
    Thanks so much! I owe you guys big time.
    Mornings are a bit rough.
    Cheers
    Peter
  6. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    When do they let you out?

I've got a couple motorcycle books I can lend you. Adventure Motorcycle Handbook is a staple read, if you haven't already.

Being that your summer riding has been chipped away, I think we need to plan a Boxer Ice Rally, so you can catch up on your riding. (Now that I think of it, I'm amazed that we don't already have that!) First prize will be the Peter Cup. It will consist of a Tim Hortons mug twist tied to a base made of a broken hand guard.

I don't have a Boxer engine bike... If we're going to do this, I'd better get my shit together.
  7. ThePedro

Oddometer:
    I hope to be out tomorrow. But probably Sat. I have read that book, it is most excellent.

Now an ice boxer rally might be the ticket. Doesn't the orange kool-aid freeze easily?:wink:
  8. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    I've seen a lot of Euro bikes in ice races over the years. From CZ bikes with side cars to new KTMs. BMW seems to be rather unrepresented. Most likely because there hasn't been enough people/bikes to make a Boxer class. Most tracks are a bit tight for a liter plus bike, as well. With the oil money in Alberta, the long winters and older BMWs becoming available to abuse in the winter; maybe the conditions are coming together to start such foolishness.

I know there was talk of starting a Rally type ride as a fund raiser up north. From the start of the ice road an hour north of MacMurray to Fort Chip. That would allow for any type of bike. Not sure what happened with that idea.

Edit:
    Was just thinking about how heavy studded tires are. The BMW front telelever system might do quite well with the extra weight, compared to normal forks.

Edit again.
    I found pics on the webz!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    I'm heading out on my Gas Gas tonight to ride some single track. If anyone wants to join me, I'll be staging out of the Fisher South lot, right at the far south end of McLean rd. I plan to be unloaded and ready to ride by 6 pm. I'll be riding Barwell Ridge (NW of Fisher south lot).

Andy
  10. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    I have family plans tonight otherwise I would try to meet you there.
    I'd like to test ride the BW200 since the carb adjustments, too. Single track would be a good way to do that.
    Have a great ride!
  11. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    Ran across this in the South Center parking lot today. I haven't seen a DR Big in probably 25 years but this one was mint. It had an AB plate. Anyone know the owner?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout adventure flyfisher

Oddometer:
    Not sure of the owner but there was a 88 for sale a few weeks back in Edmonton in similar condition might be the same one. The orange, white,and black was the most common color in Canada I believe. There was another for sale in Calgary last week but needed a ton of work.
  13. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Nostalgia is a funny thing.

Stuff like that catches my eye, too. I always get a little excited when I see a Transalp. They were a really nice bike, back then.
  14. XSoCal

XSoCal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. ThePedro

Oddometer:
    Ironically, the city streets hurt more.
  16. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Back home?
  17. ThePedro

Oddometer:
    I wish! No parole date yet.
  18. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Just start wearing the hospital gown around the lobby with the opening at the front. They'll send you home in short order.
  19. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Had a great time at McLean last night. It was a solo excursion, so risk-taking was at a minimum (Peter's mishap is still very fresh in my mind). The single track trails down by Barwell Mtn are in great shape right now.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VF-vCVDY44A" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  20. ThePedro

Oddometer:
    That would be a challenge on the GS. Don't think I could have negotiated under that log! Good variety of terrain.