Border Road - El Paso to San Diego

Discussion in 'Americas' started by RuggedExposure, Mar 6, 2013.

1. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be expecting a full report. This is a ride I've vaguely considered, but never checked out.

I'll appreciate your pre-run :1drink
  2. Bucket Boy

Bucket Boy The other mechanic

Oddometer:

I work on the Camino del diablo every day. Easy sandy bumpy road. 125 miles across. You need a free card at the Cabeza office in Ajo and it covers all agencys. The road that is right on the border is off limits. And you don't need a flag. (ATV's do) This should be the last yr it's closed 3-15 to 6-15.
  3. RuggedExposure

RuggedExposure Now with more rugged

Oddometer:

Ok, after some searching I found it. The 60' strip is known as the Roosevelt Reservation and specifies that it cannot be built upon or infringed by and public land laws. It's original purpose was to be a 'public roadway' to prevent the smuggling of goods from Mexico along the borders.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Proclamation_758
  4. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    RE----my buddy Dingweeds just rode the El Camino Del Diablo trail--------I can put you in touch with him if you like-------he knows all the details and permit issues---------he and I both have a track log with helpful waypoints thru there.

BigDog
  5. RuggedExposure

Oddometer:
    Email me information if you can please, RuggedExposure@hotmail.com .

I guess the Camino Del Diablo shuts down for the most part March 15th - July 15th.
    Luckily the west part from Tule Well over remains open. The other closed part we will attempt to use the border road to cross. If we stay within the 60' 'Roosevelt Reservation' they can't tell us anything.
  6. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting interpretation- but not the sam way I see it. Appears you may not be able to build a house there, but I didn't see anything that granted you unlimited access.

And, just like any roadway, officers can (and do) prevent your access when the deem it necessary- enforcement activity etc. I believe here in SD County, they shoo us off just because it's easier to enforce the area if only bad guys enter it.

Don't get me wrong- I want you to be able to go through, because I want to read your RR and do something similar.

But my opinion of the Roosevelt Reservation (I am, after all, a photographer, and therefore trained to interpret legal documents) is it does not grant you right of passage.
  7. RuggedExposure

Oddometer:
    " that the said strips, tracts, or parcels of land, reserved as aforesaid, may be used for public highways but for no other purpose whatever"

That pretty much sounds to me like unlimited access. The 'no other purpose whatever' tells me that it can't be shut down for immigration reasons, or because some North American two toed white sided speckled gay pronghorn antelope is having a breeding season either. The only thing I could see it being closed to the public for is if it presents a specific danger to people.

Now granted, I work in this 60' stretch pretty much everyday, and we have people come and go. Some are curious as to what it looks like, some are from the media taking pictures. Either way, they get checked inspected, and if there is no reason to detain them, they are sent on their way to do as they please.
  8. RuggedExposure

Oddometer:
    Got the knobby on the back, ready to go for tomorrow.
    [​IMG]
  9. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is your setup like on this the Husky? I saw you had put in a custom rack on another thread but didn't say what kinda bags etc.
  10. RuggedExposure

Oddometer:
    Made my own racks, here is where I started: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20827282&postcount=345

The bags are Nelson Rigg 'Survivor' series waterproof bags. Affordable and they've held up through the abuse so far.
  11. PhiSig1071

PhiSig1071 Friendly Neighborhood Privateer

Oddometer:
    From Nogales you can cut up Ruby Rd, to the Fresnal Split, and down past Garcia Ranch to Sasabe, you should be able to check it all out on google maps. From there you can take La Osa Ranch Rd (take the Mirador split and about a mile from the ranch there's a two track that goes north) across the Pozo Verde's and down on the border rd on the far side (this will get you onto the Rez)

I'm off for a week or I would get you some better info, I am pretty intimately familiar with the Roosevelt easement from Cal Gulch (few miles west of Nogales) to the border rd on the other side of the pozo's.
  12. RuggedExposure

Oddometer:
    Ha. You nailed our exact route: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872817

I'm getting to that part of the RR soon.
  13. BlackHawkChief

BlackHawkChief The Dude Abides

Oddometer:
    Oregon territories (Currently working abroad)
  14. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I'm wondering how all that talk of The Roosevelt Proclamation worked out.
  15. RuggedExposure

Oddometer:
    The ride report has been done for a while:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872817

Worked out pretty good actually. If we had more time we probably could have finished.
    Part 2 is in the works.
  16. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer: