Alaska 2013

Discussion in 'Americas' started by jprism, Jan 16, 2013.

1. jprism

jprism Got Miles & Smiles

Oddometer:
    Been to 48 states...some 4-5 times...per-pairing now to cross Alaska off my bucket list in mid June to mid July 2013. Looks like I will be riding solo as most of my riding friends either still work or are simply afraid to go that distance.

I will be traveling from Nashville, TN and riding up through KY, IL, WI, MN, ND to cross into Canada at North Portal SK. In Canada I will traverse WNW through SK, AL, BC, YT and cross into Alaska at Beaver Creek YT. I figure this will take me 8 days but really have no schedule.

In Alaska, I will visit the cities of Glennallen, Anchorage, Homer, Seward, Willow, Denali NP, Fairbanks, Tok, Valdez, Haines, Skagway over a 12-13 day period. Will try and camp when possible to save $$$ but will also look for cabin rentals when heavy rain sets in (and it will).

On the trip home, I will travel down BC highway 37 south and connect with highway 16 east over to Jasper/Banff NP or Ice-fields Parkway. Next will be to cross back into the US on highway 93 south Roosville MT and visit Glacier NP. This I figure will take me 7 days. From Glacier I am afraid it will be time to head home.

Is anyone from the Southeast or Mid West going this year. I would certainly like to hear your plans?
  2. KOH

KOH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Myself and a couple others ( 2 or 3) are planning for a trip to Alaska this coming Spring. Departing Texas on or about 25 May. Here's the planned routing. Dallas TX to Junction CO to Salt Lake City ( meeting one of our riders in Salt Lake City) to Ontario ID to Portland OR up the PCH then on to Olympic Peninsula take the Port Towsend Ferry over to Whidbey Island the on to Vancouver BC to Cache BC to Prince George BC to Prince Rupert BC ( catch the Ferry) to Haines AK to Tok AK to Glenallen to Denali Hwy, to Fairbanks. Retrun via Tok, Haines, Cassier Hwy ( heading south) to Smithers to Prince George (heading east) over to Banff then south to Glacier then taking the Chief Joseph and Beartooth Hwys over to Mount Rushmore. Turn south back to Texas. Bikes will be: BMW F800GS, BMW R65L, KLR and a Triumph 800 XC. Plan is about 90% camping. KOH
  3. Digasi

Digasi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know Idaho has been planing to take over Ontario for quite a while! Didn't know it happened :)
  4. mnesci

mnesci Adventure Dad

Oddometer:
    Im looking into leaving June 17th from the western burbs of Chicago. Have a ride parner and going uthe Alcan and down the Cassiar.
  5. HeyWhatever

HeyWhatever Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was considering a month up to Alaska and back from northern Montana... but I will not be able to afford a new Beemer by thin, only the Buell... :cry:cry:cry
  6. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Come to Alaska! It worth once in a lifetime ...
  7. Schleprock

Schleprock Let's Do This!

Oddometer:
    Leaving Seattle area 16 June to catch the ferry from Prince Rupert on the 18th to make it to Dawson on the 20th for D2D. If ya need somewhere to crash, let me know, beers free!
  8. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:

Talking about crashing once at D2D? You getting rooms ?

I'm planning to camp it out. Hopefully all goes smoothes
  9. Schleprock

Schleprock Let's Do This!

Oddometer:
    No in PNW for any ADV peeps on their way up.
  10. Nanuq

Nanuq Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer:
    Point Hope, Sitka & Biorka Island- all in Alaska
    Awesome! If any of you are passing through Sitka on the ferry and want a little tour-sometimes the layovers are several hours. Look me up and I'lll show you around on the bikes, just send a PM. Also if any of you guys have any questions about coming up north, most of us travel down to America often, just let us know your thoughts and we would love to chime in on locatioins, places to eat, camping, sites to see, fuel etc, etc.

I generally head down to various parts to see family or visit the east coast, but this summer I think I will stay close: just the Yukon, B.C. and AK-maybe up to Prudhoe again. :D
  11. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Nice to finally meet you at the REI Anchorage store this summer. You coming to Dawson City for the D2D gathering June 20-21?

For those of you interested, there's an info thread about our ferry system in my sig line

Mark H.
  12. road tramp mike

road tramp mike n00b

Oddometer:
    I plan on leaving 6/28 and going up the mississippi river and on to ak. Will have plenty of timeas I probably quit work. I live 80 m8 east of you. Contact me if your interested
  13. Creepwood

Creepwood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My goal this summer is to leave Nashville the beginning of August and get back sometime in September. I've always read the aurora borealis in Alaska is the best in September and that is my goal really, Northern Lights and Arctic Circle/Ocean. Everything along the way is a bonus. I realize that September in Alaska will be colder and might get sketchy but I have to see those lights.
  14. wayne_l

wayne_l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    im headed up first week of june to check on my house in Wasilla then riding back down mid june to colorado .
  15. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    I will be rolling out in mid June till mid July. I plan to enter Canada in Montana and head on up to Dawson Creek. Unsure but thinking of taking the Ferry back from Alaska. I lived in Delta Junction AK for almost 8 years an drove it in my truck a couple of times. 1st time on my bike. kind of torn right now as to if i am going to ride my Harley Ultra or my Buell Ulysses. leaning towards my harley simply because if I need mechanical support at least I can get it. I hope to camp the majority of the time but my plan is if its raining hard them a roof and warm bed it is. I've been wet and cold enough in my life.

Looking at solo as the guy that was going backed out.....it happens
  16. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Yes those month will be a bit more colder and rain. So just be prepare , dress warm and stay dry.

:)
  17. Nanuq

Nanuq Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer:
    Point Hope, Sitka & Biorka Island- all in Alaska
    Hello AKDuc, it was a pleasure to meet you as well. I would like to make it, I suppose I should stake-out a campsite now. Are you getting any winter rides in this year? How is the amazing Fai right now?
  18. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Just finally getting the studded tires on the KLR. Fai is doing well. I'll tell her you said "hello."

Be great to see you in Dawson City. We really fill up the corner of the Goldrush Campground in town. Fun!

[​IMG]

Remember to practice up for the Biker Games too. :wink:

And then plan on going up The Midnight Dome behind town for the Solstice party with the locals. :choppa Mark H.

[​IMG]
  19. jprism

Oddometer:
    Sounds interesting. My only plans that are written in stone are my dates. I have already made campground reservations for Denali NP, Jasper/Banff NP and Glacier NP as they are almost impossible to get. Therefore I must leave Nashville on June 11 to meet those reservations. If you are not already set on your dates let's talk.

Jim
  20. jprism

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you have a great plan but I am stuck with my dates of June 11 to July 12 as I have reservations for Denali NP, Jasper/Banff NP and Glacier NP plus hope for less chance of rain in mid June and mid July.