Tourmaster synergy electric jacket

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by spraypilot, Jan 16, 2008.

1. spraypilot

spraypilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the tourmaster synergy electric jacket liner. I am tired of freezing! I looked at the gerbing but went with the tourmaster after much deliberation. I got the jacket liner for $156.99 shipped to my door which includes the battery connector and thermostat. Gerbing sells the jacket liner for $199.00 plus you have to purchase the thermostat seperately for about $69. Harley-Davidson sells the exact same product with their name on it for $220.00 plus the thermostat. The tourmaster comes with a 3 year warranty vs. gerbings lifetime. I will do a product review after I have used it a few times in the cold and rain for those interested in the product.
    I live in the southeast but am planning on riding to Alaska late in the summer so I think the electric heat will be welcome north of Montana in August.
  2. Rabbit_Fighter

Rabbit_Fighter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The flaming emotican led me to believe that you were having problems with this. I ordered mine a few days ago and am anxious to get it. You had me worried for a moment there!
  3. ylexot

ylexot Super Genius

Oddometer:
    +1
  4. punk_emo_tx

punk_emo_tx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +2
  5. klebel

klebel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +3
  6. mafpolo

mafpolo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine showed up with a broken controller (tear on red button). They sent me one pronto!!!

I guess that the flaming button is supposed to be heat
  7. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    +4! :d
  8. bynder

bynder digity digity

Oddometer:
    +5 :lol3
  9. TheMan

TheMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +6
  10. spraypilot

Oddometer:
    The flame guy was suppose to represent the warmth from the vest. Sorry for the confusion.
  11. AndyKirby

AndyKirby Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    LOL! +7

How's the jacket doing?

BTW These guys seem to have good prices, I've bought stuff there and they've been great but am waiting for some reviews before I pull the trigger on a set for Mrs Andy. Mr andy is a Gerbing man :-)

Brockton Cycles

No affiliation yada yada yada ....

Andy
  12. Digger3

Digger3 Rage Against Age

Oddometer:
    Bought a SYnergy vest back in November and took it on a 4000 mile ride (someday I need to do a ride report on that), used it every day and wouldn't do another cold weather trip without it. Layering to get by is a thing of the past for me, just too cool being able to "dial" up comfort.

Secret to getting the most out of it is to make sure it fits tight against your body, with just underarmor or long-sleeved T-shirt under it. Warning it always starts on high, it would have to be freezing outside to use it on that setting, I tried it once on a 38 degree night and was practically sweating. SO bump it down to at least medium at first and adjust up or down later.

SUGGESTIOIN: the controller clips (like a ball-point pen) to a loop on the elastic strap that goes on your left leg, and will come unclipped if you try to put the strap too high on your leg, I found it worked better just above the knee. I think I may drill a small hole in the end of the clip and safety wire it to the loop before I use it next time, VERY annoying when it pops out.:baldy
  13. spraypilot

Oddometer:
    I bought mine from ironpony.com Free shipping and a Tee shirt plus they gave me another $5.00 dollars off. Very friendly sales staff and very informative on product lines. Jacket arrives next Monday. I will use it and give a detailed report. I have had a heated stich in the past so I will compare it to that overpriced heavyweight garmet. -No connection to ironpony I live halfway across the country.-
  14. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested in hearing more about this liner & the vest also as I'm considering buying one. I've read the vest review on webbikeworld, they seemed to like it. It sure would beat having to do the multiple layers thing or just enduring the cold until I get to work an hour later :huh ....
    Tony
  15. mafpolo

mafpolo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The way that Tourmaster built these clothes, they have the carbon fiber heating wires woven throughout the vest. This means even heat - no more hot spots.

Looking forward to their BMW coonector. Meanwhile ordered one from Powerlet.
  16. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    alright, I'm a big fat pussy in the cold. I'm always looking for the ultimate solution and have yet to find it. I've had gerbings. I've had widder. I've had Aerostich. currently warm n safe. yes, they have fit, but, they don't keep me as warm as I hear folks bragging about! Maybe, that's all it is, Bragging!

Here's my typical setup. wicking shirt. warm n safe. sweater or fleece of some sort. darien jacket. For that, I'm good until mid 30's, and, that's with the warm n safe cranked to 11! Yes, I'm a southern california boy living in New England. I get cold. I hate cold, but, not enough to keep me off my bike!

OK, forget about the cold part for a minute. What impresses me about the new Tourmaster stuff is not the price. Or, the controllers that come with the gear, but, the FABRIC! I hate those wires. I hate the cheesy windbreaker material these other liners are made of. I feel like I've been wrapped with an extension cord over a cheap windbreaker from target.

Sooooooo, I'm very interested in the tourmaster stuff. Folks say they are HOT. Folks say GErbings and WnS are HOT, but, not for me! I want to fry. I want to actually turn it down and not have to continue layering! Is this the answer?
  17. ylexot

ylexot Super Genius

Oddometer:
    You know, I'm surprised that nobody has done a scientific study about heated gear yet (at least, I've never heard of one). Seems easy enough. Put the gear on a manequin with a few thermocouples underneath at various locations. Turn the gear on full power. Measure the results. If you want to get fancy, take some pictures with a thermal camera. That would show evenness/pattern of heat.

Any magazines out there listening? :ear
  18. spraypilot

Oddometer:
    I have had the stitch heated liner under the darien jacket and I did not like it. Dunno just to heavy and stiff plus the wires felt like I was wrapped in barbwire:eek1 !! I hope the tourmaster is the answer to the 30 deg cool. My package is suppose to be here Monday according to UPS so I will try it out and give a report Monday evening. If it works too well I might just keep riding :D
  19. Rabbit_Fighter

Rabbit_Fighter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got my Synergy jacket in the mail yesterday. Wore it home last night, and on my way to work this morning. So far, so good. Construction seems pretty good and heat distribution is pretty even and nice. This is my first electric jacket, so I don't really have any experience to compare it with, but it was a very good deal.

Bought my from Tonker.com for $161 with free shipping. Ordered Monday, and it arrived Thursday.

Ironically, I'm really looking forward to using this in the Spring/Summer/Fall even more than winter. My commute is fairly urban and moderate speed, so my torso usually stays pretty warm with the fleece liner that came with the First Gear Kenya jacket I wear (paid $70 for it used and it has never leaked, even in hours of downpour). It is those cold summer mornings over the mountain passes that I am really looking forward to.
  20. Sparkdaddy

Sparkdaddy aventurero

Oddometer:
    I have the vest and when I first went to use it the controller wasn't working. So I swapped controlers with my buddy who also has one and it worked fine on my vest and his vest. For whatever reason it is working now. I opted for the non v-neck version.

It was in the teens when I rode with it on the high setting and it rocked.