Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. desmodab

desmodab Oversized Canuck

Oddometer:
    Email sent!
  2. dudecati

dudecati Dudecati

Oddometer:
    I too went with the sheared version.

3. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    So true. I use the Alaskan sheepskin (sheared) on the Duc for daily riding, but if I'm going more than a few hours one way I'll use the Airhawk. Some days it's wonderful and others not so much. You just have to try one to see if it works for you I suppose.
  4. atgatt

atgatt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too have a sargent on my 2012 Touring S. The stock seat wasn't that bad. My main issue with it was that it was "tacky" so it locked me in. I would try to slide a bit in the seat and I would move... but my pants would not... so "the boys" would be in knots. The sargent seat allows me to slide around a little bit which makes a HUGE difference on long trips. It's also about an inch wider than stock. Expensive, yes... but worth it for me. Note that seat comfort is a very, very, very, very, very subjective and personal thing.
  5. gkaan

gkaan Bikes on the Brain

Oddometer:
    I'm on a trip, probably only going 1000 miles. I noticed my front left fork seal is leaking. Bike is fully loaded with camping gear. Should I be concerned?
  6. Flyinguy

Flyinguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Uuh, sounds like I better hurry if I want to stop by and check out your multi :lol3.

7. srelegante

srelegante srelegante Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been there, done that. If the forks are upside down forks, you may consider zip tying some paper towel to sop up the fluid, keeping it from ruining your front brakes. You might consider riding to the closest dealer to see if they can attend to it. Not the end of the world-1000 miles of tarmac will not kill it. Maybe consider topping off the fluid before you return-but that is probably overkill.
  8. expatbrit

expatbrit Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer:
    Man. After 2 days on the S1000RR and then a 700 mile day home on the Mutley? Tools for the job, for me!

Mutley is far more comfy for a tall rider. S1000 is awesome on track, even with a slow as molasses rider! (Me!). Mutley has the hard luggage, to boot. (Big part of why I didn't take the RC8 to Miller, and I find the Arsey Hater much more comfy than the S1000RR!)
  9. biggziff

Oddometer:

Nawww..the idiots at the BMW dealer offered me $10K on trade. I said, if you don't want a Duc on the showroom, just tell me that! They are the worst salespeople I've ever encountered.

It's safe for now. I rode it a bit this week and forgot how much I like it!

Come on down...you can try the Ural and the S1000RR too!
  10. SevenFifty

SevenFifty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same at the Triumph dealer here for me, makes you wonder how high the depreciation is on this bike, one of the Ducati dealers would give me a little bit more, but far from acceptable, but he is an ass anyway....

Skickat från min Nexus 7 via Tapatalk
  11. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Meh....this dealer kinda sucks. I watch these sell on eBay for mid 16s to 17 all the time. I thought they'd put 13-14 ACV in it and trade me for a couple grand. No worries. I'll keep the Duc.
  12. ProZac235

ProZac235 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They may just have some dirt stuck in the seal causing it to weap. I'd try to clean it. You can use old film or some very thin plastic. I cut a piece out of a butter dish container. Place it up between the seal and fork tube, rotate it around a couple times.
  13. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Watch their video to see how it's done...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIywUfwrHDo
  14. Ramv

Ramv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Resale seems disappointing. My dealer offered less than half of retail in trade on a KTM when it was a year old. Oh well. It finally !!!! runs right after 22000 miles. Multiple flashes and significant regearing and its actually fast now. No need to trade it anymore. Glad to have moved away from it being a slug compared to my VTR/950SE.
  15. Pampero

Pampero Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer:

You're the first I've read of in two tears with complaints abut the actual power, discounting low speed fueling foibles. Glad you're happy now. Resale is a bit disappointing but I think that's true for most models. The real resale story on these (which I expect to remain relatively grim) won't be known for a few more years. If the bikes bottom out and retain decent value, then we can make an honest judgment. Trading any vehicle purchased new within a three year window is always painful. The problem with expensive ones is that the fixed percentages work against you so badly.
  16. PartTime

PartTime n00b

Oddometer:
    @ Gkaan I have had minor weeping issues with my forks on my Multi. I have used a very thin feeler gauge .005, like others have said gently push it inside your outer seals then go around to wipe off the interior dirt. This is my first bike with Ohlins forks and so far I have had 3 leaks in 9000 miles! All of them and able to fix that way, except for the recall of course.
  17. irongrady

irongrady Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just picked up my Gran Turismo Saturday and I have a leaky right fork leg already. I used a seal mate on it and a tiny little pebble came out. Hoping that takes care of it but I'm not optimistic. Uuuuugh!!!!
  18. gkaan

gkaan Bikes on the Brain

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the advice. the bike leaked pretty bad for a couple days and seems to have stopped. Another posible issue developed today...for the first time ever I found False neutrals downshifting from 6 to 5 while on my Newfoundland trip. No big deal right? Only problem is i never had this problem before and I have noticed since it seems to have more play in the clutch and shifting isn't as precise. There is no slipping and maybe I'm paranoid but still I'm a long way from any dealers up here. Any expert advice or thoughts?if the clutch cable is going how long after first symptoms until it's useless? Any roadside repairs or adjustments I should try .

19. PartTime

PartTime n00b

Oddometer:
    Good news is there is no clutch cable, its hydraulic. The false neutrals have been talked about in great detail. I had the same issue for awhile until I began shifting with more force. I know, seems to be the obvious answer. The last time I cleaned my fork seals it took about a day to eliminate anyvsigns of oil on the forks. I think I'm going to invest in those Kreiga fork seal savers in the future.
  20. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
    Well ~ the MTS 1200 has a "hydraulic clutch", no cable ~ clutch system might need bleeding....