Is it worth the trouble?

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by karitoki, Dec 28, 2012.

1. karitoki

karitoki Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been thinking about narrowing the rig a bit. Rides fine as-is, but very stiff around corners. Tracks fine at speed. I'm thinking at most I could bring it in 2". I'd have to trim that much off the clevis tubes as they are in the frame as far as they can go.
    [​IMG]
    I could bring it in more than 2', but I'm not willing to give up the right saddle bag.
    [​IMG]
    Another limiting factor is that I can only take in just so much on this rear angle brace.
    [​IMG]
    Plenty of wiggle room with the front however...
    [​IMG]
    And on the clevis tubes
    [​IMG]
    I'll bring the left side of the hack up a bit in relation to the bike. I have the "hand brake" lever to adjust for load conditions.
    [​IMG]

I borrowed a HD pipe cutter from work (which I've used before with much success before), so the biggest hassle will be getting everything back together. Again, not 100% committed at this point, but would appreciate any constructive input from the forum. Thanks
  2. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    'Morning Rick!
    :*sip*

Not much I can say bout this sorta' stuff, except thinking shortening up your track width would increase the angle the struts are at, too wouldn't it? That might effect their durability.

There's a couple places I've seen sidecar folks at where you could get some sound advice/bump heads... SNOWCAMP for one, CSR (in May) for another... There's a few folks here in ADVland that live nearby too - might try pinging some of them in PM's - haven't met a "bad one" yet. :deal
    :1drink

If you want to try my rig you're more than welcome to bomb around the MSF course behind South Sound Sears - that'd give you some comparison at least, to what your rig handles like versus something a little narrower (like mine).

Seeya' Tuesday - "First run of the New Year" :clap:freaky
  3. karitoki

karitoki Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hey Tony! Thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to Tuesday too! I wonder if any of the above mentioned ADV members would be interested in coming along. Seeing you are the one with the plan (and are well known in the forum) how about starting an invite thread. Maybe we could get a group going! :D
  4. jpalamar

jpalamar Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ability to ride all year has a sobering effect on winter projects. Hmmm, Olympia, WA, bored, nah, if it ain't broken don't fix it.

Happy New Year!
  5. Biebs

Biebs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is your current track width??

I agree with above post - quit looking for a problem or if it ain't broke don't fix it!!

:freaky