Double Take Mirror- a new (and better) Dual Sport Mirror

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by neduro, Apr 20, 2010.

1. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have never found a satisfactory dualsport mirror. All of them are prone to breakage, or they don't really get out of the way when folded, or they are lousy for actually seeing what's behind you (and some manage to have all three faults). Last fall, I dropped my bike and found myself buying two(!) new master cylinders as a result, and I decided it was time to make a really good mirror, one that would function well as a mirror, and also protect the bike (and me) from damage.

I had three goals for my design:

1) That it work as well as an OEM mirror for seeing what was going on behind;
    2) that it could fold completely out of the way, safe from giving or receiving damage when offroad;
    3) and, that it be tough. Ideally, it would even have some ability to give in a crash and prevent damage not only to the mirror, but also to the bike.

Many experiments later, and I am happy to say I've found the answer.

[​IMG]

I give you the Double Take Mirror.

The benefits of this system are many, but let me expand on a few.

First, because there are two ball joints, you have the ability to position it exactly where you want it, both when extended for viewing, and also when folded away. On most bikes, you can fold it perfectly along the handlebars, out of the way of any conceivable crash, and without blocking the view of the speedometer or GPS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second, because there is adjustable tension, it is easy to position it and then lock it in place. The system uses RAM-Mount components, which are well known for their durability and effectiveness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Third, the joints are stiff enough to hold the mirror at triple digit speeds, but will move if they are struck, which protects you from injury and your bike from damage. I'm sure it is possible to break the mirror, but I haven't succeeded yet and I've tried pretty hard, going so far as to race an enduro with the mirror in place. The body is made from 43% glass filled Zytel, which is really tough stuff.

Other benefits:
    - Easy to remove the mirror entirely- just loosen the RAM arm, and remove it along with the mirror.
    - Convex lens- we used SAE spec convex glass that provides a nicer field of view than a flat piece would, while retaining the ability to focus on details. Are those Crown Victoria headlights, or can I speed up?
    - Universal fit- You can easily swap the mirrors between bikes.
    - Can be positioned further out than a stock mirror, resulting in seeing more of what is behind you and less of your elbow.

The mirror is available here, and it costs $25. If you need RAM components, we also stock and sell the parts you'll need for your bike.
    woodzrider likes this.
  2. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...ordered :drif
  3. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
    Great idea...ill be ordering one. RAM mounts are the bomb..I've done so much with them!
  4. kizniche

kizniche pyro

Oddometer:
    What diameter is the ball-stud and mirror ball? I'd like to look into what options I have to mount my GPS to the setup.
  5. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both are RAM size B: 1"
  6. Backwoods Boogie

Backwoods Boogie High Desert, High Mileage

Oddometer:
    Ordered.

Thanks Neduro!
  7. husky123

husky123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool. Simple, straight forward design. Great website too. Love the "build your mirror" feature.:clap
  8. DualSport650

DualSport650 Lucky Burglar

Oddometer:
    Great idea!

I always break dualsport mirrors when I smack 'em
    on tree branches, forest critters, etc. :lol3

I think I'll buy some! :clap
  9. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Damn, I did not see this until today. I just ordered Ken Sean Enduro Mirror after getting tired of not being able to see behind me on my plated KLX450R with my current useless Acerbis DS mirror.

I guess I will try the Ken Sean and if it does not work, I will put it on flea market and get these. Great idea as ram mounts are nearly indestructible.

Jon
  10. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    all right Ned, I need two but ordered one to try out. I think I've broken 3 mirrors on my 640 so far; I'm looking forward to one that works and stays alive.
  11. Swamp Rat

Swamp Rat DEO VINDICE

Oddometer:
    Now that is just slick, ranks right up there with the lightbulb only better.
    :clap

Gonna have to order one when I order my videos!

:ricky :ricky
  12. xdbx

xdbx Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    What's the story with the reflector? Can you post a picture of how that's implemented?
  13. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    Finally! Nice work Ned - what took you so long?
  14. Region Riley

Region Riley rally kit widow

Oddometer:
    Best mirrors ever!

My husband and I were lucky enough to have a few mirrors to try out a couple of weeks ago in Utah.

On the hubby's SE

[​IMG]

On my 250XCF-w

[​IMG]

We rode a lot of rough gravel road and even at over 60mph, I could see clearly behind me. I also did some slickrock trails, but forgot to tuck away the mirror. The mirror held up well to my abuse, it even survived a few low speeds drops on the slickrock!
  15. wonky

wonky TETETETETETETETET

Oddometer:
    I crash a lot, its survived where most of the other plastics failed (rear fender and a handguard that day!)

:clap
    [​IMG]
  16. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    The reflector is glass, and it has the same bend as SAE spec for driver side rearview mirrors - 40" radius of bend. The effect is subtle but gives better field of view, without making things that are close look far away.

I wanted an indestructible reflector, so I tried a bunch of different plastic options, but chose against them all for two reasons. First, when they get muddy and you wipe them off with your glove, they scratch. Glass is about the only thing that doesn't. Second, the optical qualities left something to be desired.

They are held in place with silicone, and are inside a bezel molded into the mirror. So far, I've not had any come loose or break, and I've tried pretty hard.

If you break the mirror stalk, I'll replace it for free, just send me a picture and a story. If you break the lens itself, you can buy a replacement on the site, which is better than any other mirror company will do.

You can see the bezel in this shot, if you look really hard (and ignore the scenery!)...

[​IMG]

Getting the details right took forever! Hi, Dave! :wave
  17. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Looks very clever! :clap
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    can you comment on which type of bikes the long or short arm work better or is it just personal preference?
  19. E-Jay

E-Jay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just ordered some; Thanks for the hard work!
  20. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Ned, Thanks for answering my questions. I just ordered my first set. I think I am going to need a set for my GS too but I sure am looking forward to not having to remove my mirrors on the little WR250X/R anymore :clap

And I am betting I will be able to see something besides my shoulders :lol3

Awesome work :clap