J&M Hndlbar Mtd CB Radio/I-Com - R1200GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Tommy Gunn, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Tommy Gunn

Tommy Gunn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a handlebar mounted J&M CB Radio unit mounted on the left handlebar of a 1200GS?
    Do you have info on bracket used or picture?
    Thanks in advance
  2. HasBean

HasBean Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had one mounted on my 06 GS for a year now. I used a Kawasaki mount and bent it slightly to get a better angle on viewing the display.

[​IMG]

I used the inner mount of the hand guard with a spacer and a long bolt and it's stayed with no problems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you have any other questions, let me know
  3. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    Do you have a pic of the antenna mounting and did you have to adjust the antenna at all (tune it.. whatever they call it on a CB)?
  4. HasBean

HasBean Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I made a custom mount out of a scrap piece of aluminum, but you can use whatever will fit or work. Depends on where you want to have the antenna.

[​IMG]

I chose to mount mine here next to the top box. I don't pack any stuff on the side bags either.

[​IMG]

I don't have the swivel on anymore, but have a quick disconect instead
    I'm using a wilson "No Ground Plane" antenna and the adjustment is a slider that's in the cable. This adjustment ended up being in the right place to cable tie behind and above the oil cooler. It's easy to get to and adjust if necessary. You can use a regular CB antenna and I used a wilson on my HD Fatboy with the J&M CB I had on it. It had an adjuster built into the tip of the antenna and it also worked well. I went with the no ground plane just to be different and it seems to work just as well. YMMV [​IMG]
  5. mqo233

mqo233 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used ram mounts and it works great, the only problem I have is sometimes the connection between the cb unit and the wiring harness gets moisture and you can hear it in your helments and the intercom stops working. I added dielectric grease to try and keep mositure out, and when I was the motorcycle, I put plastic bags over the end connectors. This has happen three times, I now carry a spare wiring harness when my passenger and take trips, just in case. Otherwise the unit is great. I wish it had FM radio added, but I have Sirus hooked to so, otherwise great product.

James
  6. Griffis

Griffis Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. bwlinux

bwlinux Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I chickened out of making my own mount around the handguard hardware. Instead I used the new Ztechnik Z6131 mount, just had to drill a few holes on the mounting plate.

http://shop.ztechnik.com/cgi-bin/ztech/Z6131.html?search_model=bm-044

I'll try to post a pic this evening.

My only complaint is that it's a little tall as far as height from the handgrip. It sure works great with my Zumo though.
  8. Tommy Gunn

Tommy Gunn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the great pics and info. This pretty much clinches it for me. I'm going with this unit over autocom or starcom - mostly for the CB feature and I'm planning on using the Zumo too.
  9. bwlinux

bwlinux Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's what it all looks like. I'm thinking about moving the Zumo over to the left just to the right of the CB. I don't like reaching across with my left hand to control it and my right hand is usually on the throttle more than my left hand is on the clutch.

[​IMG]

Here's a close up of the JMCB:

[​IMG]

And here's the antenna mount I made. Basically it's just a peice of flat bar with elevator bolts. Of course your mount may differ if you don't have a Givi top case

[​IMG]