Would you, could you with a xt250?

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Jetstreamer, Aug 8, 2013.

1. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bum bag, or strap it to the tail of the bike. I carried a small pack with my H2O bladder and tools. Empty the sand out of the base of the emergency triangle. You'll need a small roadbook holder. They're around 25 bucks from Moose. Get a watch and strap it to the bars, you'll need a second hand but it's best to go digital. Bring a sack lunch when you go to noob orientation. Those mother fuckers like to talk. 3-hrs.:lol3 But seriously, most of the shit that goes on in there involves the cars. Bunch of great guys/girls that race NASA. I think I've officially retired as it's just not cost effective for me. Have a blast! Oh, go ride in the sand, the most tore up sand roads you can find for training.

2. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    The XT250 can do as good as anything else as long as no huge jumps are in the mix. Real tires and bark busters a must.
  3. KTRMN8R

KTRMN8R Sand Camel

Oddometer:
    Go Man Go!!!:clap

2008 Sandblast Competitor
  4. GREWUPIN_D11

GREWUPIN_D11 GREWUPIN_D11

Oddometer:
    I rode the SandBlast this year on a F800GS, had a great time. XT250 will do fine, although a bit down on power compared to some of the competition. I recommend leaving all the tire repair stuff in your truck. Carry some big zip ties so you can tiewrap the tire to the rim to limp out if need be. Run normal highway tire pressure. In my opinion running low tire pressure in search of better traction is a waste of time, and leads to flat tires, which slows you down more than the mostly imaginary negative effect on traction does. My kit: some duct tape, tiewraps, wire, 4 inch longnose vicegrips, 12" crescent wrench for bending levers and pedals back into shape, also doubles as a hammer, and can be used on axle nuts.
  5. Hypermofo

Hypermofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^^What she said... best advice +1

I also agree with GREWUPIN_D11 - pack light and beyond that don't worry about it too much. Just have fun.
  6. sweetwater

sweetwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like fun to me! NCRacer and I are hoping to do the SandBlast on KLX250s in 2014. The missus even threatened to do it on her TW200. Why not?

We will run Adventure Lite Class and battle it out for last place...in front of those who DNF.

Tool kit suggestions sound spot on so far.
  7. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tool kit on the bike........zip ties, duct tape, and maybe a leatherman. You don't have the brain power or time to repair before or after a stage. Fix it at tech at your vehicle when you have awhole half an hour to mess more shit up.:lol3 I recommend doing it.....I really loved it and hope to have a better year to at least do SB next year.

@Jetstreamer.

Tow the bike, borrow a truck or mooch a ride. I bet someone fairly close to you will be racing. It's too much to haul you gear and have you bike be your only mode of transport It's really not safe. You'll be wiped out from racing, seriously, you won't want to ride home. Even though it's a 3 hour ride. At least have a back plan if you crash your bike and it isn't rideable home.
  8. sweetwater

Oddometer:
    In another life I lived to race pushbikes. It is not a solo operation. The driving all over the place and the mechanical issues and the basic logisitics require some minimal support.

So, to mirror Hardwaregrrl, beg, borrow, or steal a ride to the event or you will be miserable trying to ride home. FWIW, Harbor Freight has the hitch packer/moto-carrier on sale right now for $114.00.

This is actually the reason I recruited NCRacer to go with me. He's young, fast, and good with a wrench. He works for beer, and he can drive my truck. Aside from smelling like a goat, he's a good travel companion.
  9. Ncracer79

Ncracer79 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweetwater is only flaming me cause I will smoke his ass. I threatened to ride my klx to and from just to piss him off:rofl

To the original post. Do it. XT is fine. Just hold that throttle back and roll with it. Like someone else said make sure to play in some sand before you do it. Good steady pace. No need to break records or bones. Most likely you will beat sweetwater so you won't be last:D

Kelley
  10. sweetwater

Oddometer:
    Jetstreamer: 'Racer is right, I'm slow, easy prey, but what he didn't admit is that the last time we raced, I spanked him:

[​IMG]

In spite of his propensity to corner sideways and wear ugly SEMA shirts, I got the best of him. What he also didn't admit was his propensity for falling over.

Now, to get the thread back on topic, I emailed Anders who advises dates for SandBlast Rally 2014 are soon to be released. I'm sure there will be a whole thread about the SB Rally, but I will keep watching this one too.

One more thing Jetstreamer: if you PM me an address I will send you a lil' care package to share with NCRacer should you meet him at the Rally. Just remember his propensity for falling over.