HPN inserts for GS forks

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Beemerboff, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lookig through the HPN Catalogue I noticed they list adjustable damping inserts for the post 87 fork which -

" MAKE THE ADVANCED DAMPING TECHNOLOGY OF THE MARZOCCHI MAGNUM SUITABLE FOR THE SERIAL FORK "

Or something.

Has anyone fitted a set of these things and can post on just exactly what you get for your money , what springs work best with them, and if they offer any worthwhile advance over the stock fork.
  2. Basic_Gerd

Basic_Gerd Gerd

Oddometer:
    Hi Beemerboff,

these cartridges come with springs and are to replace the whole interiors of the stock fork. Yes, they are an improvement, far more than different springs (which I found +/- effectless). Over here in Germany they were available at every BMW dealer, rumours were heard that they were out of stock, but more rumours followed saying still on hand.

Find my personal experiences here (sorry: it's german). You'll also find the part numbers and € prices. If I can help with procurement lemme know.
  3. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just to close off this thread I just fitted the MAgnum fork inserts which I finally recieved from HPN.

The kit went straight on my 93 R100 GS , the only extra needed was bar risers which I already had, and 10 wt oil.

Staight of, without any fine tuning , they made a bigger difference to the front end than fitting a Ohlins did to the rear.

I have set them so I have one third of the compression damping availible, and two thirds of the rebound .

They have really improved the front end to the point that it is now better than he F650 GS which I previously owned, and that was the all time best handling little bike I ever had.

IMHO they are worth every cent and up there with the best bang for the buck you will spend on the GS.
  4. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:

How many cents were they?
  5. Southpawman

Southpawman Overpowered by Funk

Oddometer:

Why did you need risers? Was it to clear the damper adjustment controls?
  6. AliBaba

AliBaba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  7. TEXASYETI

TEXASYETI Call me "thread killer!"

Oddometer:
    Can we get some pics here?
  8. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    I too am very interested in these things! I looked through the on-line HPN catalogue and didn't have much luck getting detailed info.

How did you go about getting these things? Part numbers? How much did the whole conversion cost? Was it the whole internals (damper assemblies and springs) that got replaced?
  9. RocketJ

RocketJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  11. Southpawman

Southpawman Overpowered by Funk

Oddometer:
    I found the inserts in HPN's catalog, and they look to be part no 1009, but couldn't find them on the price list.
    I did notice that the WP USD front end that would simply replace the stock one (no extra travel) is about $300 and change more than I paid for the bike... :eek1
    Yeah, I got a deal on the bike, but holy hell! :huh
  12. AliBaba

AliBaba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like this:
    [​IMG]

If you zoom in on this picture you can see how it looks on a bike: http://www.hpn.de/bilder/high_resolution/kordys2.jpg

It’s smart to change the bearing in the outer fork legs, then all your internals are new.
    If your bike has the indicators on the top of the fork, the indicators have to be modified a bit.
  13. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are several folks pursuing a change of front end, the definitive answer is that custom triple clamps from a few sources run about $600, then add in the cost of the forks and front wheel, then the cost of a shortening the forks (or extending the swing arm and buying a new shock)... don't see any way to do this coversion and end up with a well handling, non-chopper styel GS (or G/S that also requires frame stregnthning) for anything less than $1K on the low side unless you are a machinist:D

And IMHO, the RaceTech mod works really well and costs ~$75...
  14. AliBaba

AliBaba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...or you can buy a WP4860 with 220mm stroke and trippleclamp for 2190€, brake and wheel fits :-)

The inserts are a nice, I used them for a while.
  15. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:

but my o my they are pretty :wink:

I also shall try the Racetechs before anythign else rigth now. If I'm going to upgrade forks at all, I'm going to make damn sure I can fit a steering damper to it, as well.
  16. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Thats like 10K USD these days :bluduh :huh

Put a decimal in that number and I'll come get them myself.
  17. Cigars&Scotch

Cigars&Scotch My eyes are up here Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:thumb:tb
  18. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    So how much are those inserts with the springs??? Are they part #1009?

Does anyone have a comparison to the Cartridge Emulator?

If anyone needs or wants an emulator for the 100GS, I've got one since I don't need two. I'll just make a copy of the instructions for myself and send the whole package minus one emulator along to you.
  19. wiggins

wiggins Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am very much interested in purchasing these inserts in my 92 GS
    If you go to page 14 in the bike flee market and find the post by PHRED3512 you can see the adjustment knob on the top of the fork tubes, this bike has the inserts along with a lot of other good mods.
    I have talked to the Marzocchi USA people and they tell me that the inserts probably come from www.Andreanigroup.com but I could not find them listed anywhere, and the Marzocchi techanical people said that they did not make the insert for our GS's and did not know if the inserts from there other forks would fit.
  20. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    PM'd you TVRLA...