ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this has already been answered,but I'm just starting to read through this thread and wondered just how much weight can I expect to carry on this bike if I used your racks. I have a WR250R right now that can carry 70-80lbs no problem if need be,but I'm wondering if you think I could do the same on this bike?
  2. nzcvlh

nzcvlh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried installing the Safari 4 gallon tank yet? I just got mine and either they sent me a tank from another model or there are significant fitment issues.

The thickness of the flange material in the area of the fuel pump and fuel line is significantly thinner than stock. As a result the O-rings do not seat / compress. The seat doesn't seem to fit either.

Anyone have any good or bad experience with this application. I sure hope they sent the wrong tank and all will be corrected with the right one. I have a 2013 KTM 500 XCW

Thanks for the feedback
    Dave
  3. bill1960

bill1960 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_Z5xrdXEXDg

http://bestdualsportbikes.com/

After 100 hrs of dualsport use, I'm looking at lowering my 500 for easier dabbing and more stability. I'm 52yo and the bike is sprung for my weight (75kg)

Interested in the concept setout in the vid
    For dualsport use, they suggest the bikes are too high in the back.
    Remedy is internal shock spacer to lower seat height ~1" and fine tune with fork height in clamps and rear sag.

Has anyone tried this mod. Are you happy with the results.
    I'm mainly interested in the concept, not necessarily bestdualsportbikes doing the work
  4. Notaduke

Notaduke Migration to offroad

Oddometer:
    Just about to do the first oil change on 2013 500 EXC. The manual refers to using a "pin wrench" when you insert the long screen into the engine on the side. My dealer said they just use a screwdriver to guide the screen in. I don't see how a pin wrench (the ones I am familiar with) could be replaced by a screw driver, and I'm not thrilled about potentially inserting a pointed steel object into an oil journal.

So, the question for the experienced is: how do you safely insert the long oil screen into the motor?

Thanks.

5. Dirty in all

Dirty in all Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer:
    I just push it in and if it needs a little guidance I use my fingertips to lift it up, you feel it seat when does and it stays seated. Not a real issue.
  6. Notaduke

Notaduke Migration to offroad

Oddometer:
    Super, thanks. I had hoped that was the case.

7. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:
    A pair of needle-nose pliers makes grabbing the plastic end real easy as well
  8. YAHBO

YAHBO Grip and rip since 1983

Oddometer:
    A 1/4" socket extension works perfectly. If you look into the motor where the screen goes, you can see how the screen needs to sit. Easy stuff.
  9. Per W

Per W Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, after spending the weekend reading ALL pages in this very informative thread I had to order a Sixdays as soon as the dealers opened this morning. Thanks for all the valuable information regarding this bike. It will save me lots of time when it comes to future modifications.:clap

My present favorite bike is a 690 R with rally fairing and tanks from Rally Raid in UK, but it suffers from some extra kilos - just like me. Since I don't have any plans of loosing weight it has to be the bike who stand for this metamorphoses. Welcome 500!
  10. MJG2

MJG2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What are you doing

Manual says after 1st hour

then every 15 hours
  11. MJG2

MJG2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seems that seat concepts is most popular

I have used EE seats in past but leaning towards SC one this time

How is the carbon side and gripper top - which seems most popular? is the gripper top too grippy?

ANd on the standard height -how is the foam- is this overall a more comfortable seat?

Thanks for seat feedback, pictures and advice

I am getting a new 2013 500 EXC in a week or two-

Mark
  12. MJG2

MJG2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Headlight on

Is the EXC headlight always on?

I ready some comments on a plug etc in harness

Anyway change anything so the headlamp can be swithed on and not always on when running during the day

tips- advice

PS- what a thread here -lots of great tips and advice

Mark
  13. Per W

Per W Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 500 is a race bike and the intervalls in the manual refer to that kind of use of the bike. I firmly believe you could give those timings a bit of a slack with good consiousness if you use the bike for dual sport purposes. They now have 1,5 liters of oil in the engine in comparison with the 1,3 liters of the 530 and 525. Ideally you should follow the manual, but I wouldn't worry if I went longer on an extended weekend trip.
  14. Stifdickerson2006

Stifdickerson2006 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will be very happy with the SC seat. The seat is top notch and just as durable as any other. The gripper seat cover is great and holds you in place but is not to sticky where it hampers your movement, As far as comfort, the SC seat IMO is light years more comfortable than an EE seat or any race type seat. Your Arse will thank you, I am 6'1" 175lbs (tall and skinny w/no ass) my stock seats and EE seats would kill me after a 40+ mile ride. With the SC seat no issues even after multi 150 mile days.Thanks to Seat Concepts I dont have to buy Anti Monkey Butt Powder:clap
    [​IMG]
  15. trailjammer

trailjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the upcoming new bike mark. I'd have to agree on the Seat Concepts. I've had one for a while now it's real comfy on those long rides. The standard height is fine for me and I'm 5'10". It's not 'too grippy' just right.
  16. boostracer

boostracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wired a switch in the wire to mine so I could leave it off in the daytime. Wired the small bulb in the headlight to the hot side of the switch so it's always on when bike is running, so I still have a light for the "daytime running light" deal. I replaced my stock bulb with a halogen so didn't want it on all the time.
  17. avconnect

avconnect Long timer

Oddometer:
    What tank is installed in the pictures and how was the installation?
  18. MJG2

MJG2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I plan to de smog and remove canister /hoses and solenoid valve -anyone find a nice cap for the plug that goes to the evap solenoid- Id love a cap that snaps in for a nice weathertght seal -I bet there is something out there thats OEM harness plug

I see some guys put grease in there and then elec tape it up -I'd like something cleaner
  19. Stifdickerson2006

Stifdickerson2006 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. boostracer

boostracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you're talking about the small hose fitting off the intake I just unscrewed it, plugged it, put it back on with hose in place, looks stock.