Talk me out of the new Blackberry Q10

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Hannda, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    That's the beauty of my situation. My phone is working fine and I don't "need" to upgrade. I'd just like to have some of the cooler things the newer phones have. I have the keyboard, but don't have a touch screen or the scrolling on the screen or the ability (that I know of) for some of the apps that the newer phones all seem to have. I can wait a few months and watch the prices drop. That typically sees the initial purchasers reporting to the mfgs all of the bugs in their system and the mfgs getting a 2nd generation out only a few months after the launch that has the bugs worked out. It's the same reason I'm waiting on a laptop. I'm not prepared to make the switch to Windows 8 until they make it more business friendly and not just a toy for the twitchy teenagers who like to do everything on a tablet while "swiping" with their fingers.
  2. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's largely based on the carrier not the hardware supplier. It does suck that support cycles seem to be getting shorter. The hardware vendor would be happy to keep the gravy train running. It's usually the carrier's customer-support ops that foots most of the operating expenses to keep the phone lines open, stock the b-stock, etc, so it's usually the carrier that is eager to end-of-life the old models. BBY did have an ugly jump to make, though, by bagging the old OS. I'm sure it was a tough call to make. That definitely adds a hiccup to the lifecycle, bcs now there's a hard stop to the upgrade path of the old OS...lots of pissed off old users, when software versions for things like flash, etc, start passing them by.
  3. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    The Q10 should be good if you choose to get it, the OS 10 or whatever the official abbreviation is, is already on its first update with the Q10. It's not a clusterfuck like the Storm was (an ex had that phone and it barely worked until the 2nd update IIRC) so you'll just be getting a few nice updates but likely nothing major.

Oh and for Windows 8 I just had to configure one of those computers in a office where everything else is Windows 7. That stock GUI is a real shit show if you're trying to find stuff, but toss classic shell on there and it's basically Windows 7....but more efficient. It even boots right to the desktop instead of the "metro" interface. I would wait 6-12 months for the next generation of Intel processors though, the one that came out mostly improved the integrated graphics.
  4. Icewalker

Icewalker Conundrum

Oddometer:
    Had Blackberries most of the time. Borrowed an iphone5s for the weekend :puke1 No thanks. Had the Torch for the longest time until I got caught in the rain - best of both worlds slider with a physical keyboard and a screen keyboard if you wanted. Best phone I've had - sadly dead now. Got a bold as a temp replacement - hoping for either the Z10 or Q10 ... or hoping they come out with a new Torch Z :deal

Haven't really had a go on any android phones as such.
  5. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:

My first Torch also died prematurely from barely a hint of moisture. I thought about filling the new one with RTV to keep that from happening again.
  6. Icewalker

Icewalker Conundrum

Oddometer:
    I kept putting off getting a waterproof case for it :cry Got caught out in the rain and thought I'd dried it off enough to power back on ...... zzzzzzzzap :cry
  7. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really? My friend has gone hot tubbing with his...multiple times, and all it took was a drying out, being baked a little with dessicant, and it was working alright. That always gave me the impression that they were pretty sturdy, even if they chose practical finishes over fancy-ass finishes.

My bold hasn't crapped out yet...but my 18-month old decided it'd be cool to slam it down on a bolt...so now the screen is shattered. news flash...the touch screen on the 9300-series bold is totally superfluous. I am getting by on just the "pearl" controller in the middle for the last 2 weeks. :lol3 Still itching to upgrade, though, as the shattered screen does kind of reflect light poorly in direct sun.
  8. FlagRS

FlagRS Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer:
    I like the new "Q" :thumb

I still have my 9930 Tour and I have been procrastinating an upgrade waiting for the Q10. My broker dealer has some crap encryption software on my Tour. I'm a self employed insurance and securities salesman and I supply my own equipment but my securities broker dealer encrypts and reviews my messaging activities.

I'm planning on changing broker dealers or dropping my securities registration all together by year end. That will be a good time make the change and the Q's bugs should be worked out.
  9. Hannda

Oddometer:
    As someone who likes/wants one, do you see any shortcomings between it and, say, the iPhone5 or the Galaxy III (or whatever's current for Samsung) or the Droid4 that was mentioned above? Have you done any research, or are you just a techno-troglodyte like me who wants one because they're familiar and they have a physical keyboard? I want one, I'm just worried I may be missing out on "bigger, better, more" from other vendors. That being said the video that N&VS put up got me thinking that the Q10 might not be a bad move, at least for me, after all. :dunno
  10. FlagRS

FlagRS Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer:
    My needs are simple - good work (enterprise) and personal e-mail, SMS messaging, a weather app and a personal checking account register app. Everything else can be done on a laptop or at my desktop in the office. I like the simplicity and durability of the Blackberry and I do like the keyboard. My wife has an iPhone 4S and we have an android tablet used primarily for reading so I'm familiar with those platforms.

As I get older bigger and better doesn't seem to be as much of an issue for me. I just need a durable device that communicates quickly and efficiently, I don't want to live on my phone.
  11. Hannda

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Wife loves her iPhone but I find it uncomfortable to talk on - but that could just be the case she has it in. I've never heard of the checking account app. That sounds interesting. Will have to Google that here in a second.
  12. FlagRS

FlagRS Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer:
    Mobile Checkbook - I've been using for several years, easy way to record transactions in the field. Not sure if it works on the new 10s.
  13. Hannda

Oddometer:
    Thanks. :thumb
  14. Hannda

Oddometer:
    I love the BB, but was introduced to the Samsung Galaxy Note II on the plane yesterday. Wow. Don't even need my reading glasses with that bad boy. Might need a brief case to carry it in, but . . . wow! That thing could eliminate the desire for an iPad + cell phone with just the one package.
  15. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    Have you tried the Galaxy S4 yet? The screen is only half an inch smaller and is higher resolution (720 VS 1080). Personally I think the note 3 which should be ~6 inches is my next phone.

Oh and it turns out a friend of mine has the Q10, I didn't get to ask her too many questions because we were in a rush but she loves it so far.
  16. Hannda

Oddometer:
    :baldy Now I'm going to have to make a decision. :cry
  17. BigIron

BigIron Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer:
    I actually tried the Note when it first came out. I liked it quire a bit at first, but it was (for me) a hassle to carry around. Around the house it was great.

After the Note, a couple of BBs, and a couple of iPhones, I'm going to try a Q10. The Blackberry platform just seems to work for me. The old UI was sort of annoying, it looked like it'd be drawn by 3rd graders with crayons. But the form factor and efficiency were great.

I really won't know until I groffle one in the store, but it's looking good for the Q.
  18. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook 'em Horns! Supporter

Oddometer:
    iOS7 is good reason.
  19. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    my personal take on bby's keyboard: it could be improved. I'm a fan of having direct access to the period, and the at sign, amongst other things. I'm pretty quick w/ it anyways, but these are little things I notice when I'm spewing along.
  20. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    If you buy the BB you'll turn Gay. If that's OK with you, then I have exhausted all my reasons for you personally to not get it.