My Eyes Are My Ears: A solo journey thorough the USA and Canada by a deaf Adv rider

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Abenteuerfahrer, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Tom48

Tom48 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting your pics and story. I ride with ear plugs and wear hearing aids. I' m interested in your story.
  2. JohnyCakes

JohnyCakes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very interesting report...looking foward to reading some more.

Thanks, Johny
  3. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

1) Yesterday I was a bit tired to caption some of the pictures if not all. Maybe I'll post some less pics so that I can write some thoughts and the places where the pic's were taken?

Some of you are asking me what the challenges have been as a deaf rider. None so far..I just ride and ignore the world. I did have a small incident yesterday that I can understand very well. Remember that off-side truck advertising selling seafoods....fishmonger..on the side road somewhere in northern Maine. What happened was that I forgot to take some pictures of live lobsters back there and saw this unusual truck. Pulled over and took a picture of the truck and its signs, then proceeded to the drivers window asking whether he could show me a live lobster for picture taking? He oppened the window and gave me a barrage of profanity that was easy to lip read. His veins were about to explode...dunno why...I profusely apologized for the intrusion...no dice, he kept ranting on about making a living...costs..., etc. Got only about 50% of his rants. Told me that I'll have to buy a lobster first and take a pic from there. Don't want a live lobster stuffed in my tank bag. I did not feel threatened but thought of economic times in Maine...lobster prices are down...gas is up...economy in Maine is down..these people make a hard living. Completely understand, no big deal.
    So decided to stop for lunch and order a dead lobster for picture taking..a very expensive way to take a picture, eh. Caution, treat this picture with care it costs $21 a snap!

[​IMG]

2) It's been said that when a biker is pulled over by a State trooper, one is to keep his hands on the handlebars. Do not fumble getting your helmet off or fumble in your tankbag or whatever for your license and registraton. It's a security issue for them. Officers more likely will talk to you from behind. Me being deaf makes it kind of scary..if I don't respond or do what he says from behind....what comes??????
    They all need to be educated that there are deaf riders as well. So far so good...trying to ride within the limits or 5 mph over posted speed limit. Ride well and don't give them a reason to pull you over.

3) I always quickly tell anyone...customs officer..front desk clerk..waitress..gas attendants that I am deaf as soon as I see their lips move. I have gotten 95% positive responses with about a small %, "never mind".

So far so good...it's raining dogs and cats here at the US/Canada border...maybe I'll don my heavy duty BMW Lab rain outfit or the Walmart kind, hmmm...

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD
  4. Cat Daddy

Cat Daddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. Perry B

Perry B Perry B

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great start.
    Looking forward to more.
    Be safe.... enjoy!
  6. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    for inviting us along on your trip. Welcome to Canada, eh. In Canada, we have this wee institution called TIM HORTON'S. Ledgend has it, Tim used to be a hockey player. He played for both the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Buffalo Sabres. Most people don't know that. Somewhere along the way, he invented the coffee shop. You will still find Starbucks....but the coffee is way better at TIM'S!!! Enjoy.:freaky
  7. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    This has been a good read so far. One of my closest friends is deaf and We sign a little when we ride. Safe travels.
  8. mikefryman

mikefryman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoying the thread. I love souse, but I watched my granny scrape a hog's head and that looked different and good too. Thanks for the chocolate recipe. I am definitely going to try that. :D
    Mike
  9. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Left Calais, Me. in the torrents of rain...due to poor visibility and fogged visor I overshot the Canada customs line. Saw red flashing lights and some kind of a booommm...maybe a horn to alert one that you crossed the line. Traipsed slowly backwards to the window and apologized to the customs agent. The young Gent was very understanding and seem to know that bikers have a handful to recon with. Told him that I was deaf..no problem, mouthed a few questions: where to?; guns?; booze?; buying property up there?; how long you staying?; asked what my bikes license number was..couldn't remember so had to roll forward for him to see and document. Then showed him my passport...passed with flying colors and on I went into Canada in the rain. It rained, rained, and rained forever from Calais, Me to Moncton, NB. The rain gods unleashed what is to become part of my trip. Tucked away my camera(wish I had a underwater camera) for fear of ruin. Even in the rain, the landscapes are gorgeous...spectacular...undescribable. It was blowing gale force from the Fundy area, about 50km/h. Had to ride sideways most of the way. Couldn't take pictures of St. Johns..too wet. Finally stopped for some Java to warm up. Oh, by the way forgot to tell you that I had to don the real rainsuit by BMW and none of that Walmart stuff, the rains were too heavy and cold. Was about to wear one of the best rain proof and warm gloves by BMW, but to my horror I realized that I carried one of my Frau's other smaller sized glove. Gggrrr....

[​IMG]

Cheap gasoline here???? Nada, its $1.36 X 4=......
    [​IMG]

Rest stop for some Java. These riders came from Moncton and told me, "You ridin' up there, expect a rainstorm...yeah".

[​IMG]

Woooooo double power..need it to beat the rain gods..

[​IMG]

Ugh...where's the Baquettes, Brioches, Croissants; this is bilingual Canada. Gimme some French pastry please....

[​IMG]

Palourdes...le Clams on the go, just pop into your mouth?

[​IMG]

Testament of the strong winds that I had here which spilled my Double Blaster Java....ggrrr

[​IMG]

Found Le Starbucks in a Monctons Barnes & Noble like book store. The store was packed with customers due to the rains. I looked like an idiot walking among fine books in my trenching rain gear looking for a replacement of my lost double Blaster. Got it and lo and behold, St. Bucks cups also have French translation or vice versa " The way I see it". Sorry no ROSE this time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This lovely lady at Sackville Tourist info desk helped me call around for a BB in the Moncton area as my Frau is making a landing here,....woooooooooooooooooo.....come Tuesday

[​IMG]

First Covered Bridge in the Sacksville Marsh area..............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prominent United Church of Canada...Sacksville, NB

[​IMG]

This concludes my report for the day.....tomorrow it shall rain once more, then another day of rain when my Frau arrives..Thursday Le Sol might take a peek onto New Brunswick

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD
  10. ocechap

ocechap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, keep up the pics!
  11. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Did that GS come with the yellow rear splash gard? Great idea. The yellow helmet as well. I'm now thinking yellow for my next lid.
  12. VespaMamma

VespaMamma Shutterbug

Oddometer:
    ooooh, the downpour is no good for picture taking. Waterproof camera is good thing to have, especially in the areas you're heading to. Losing your coffee in the gusts of wind ain't good either. Looks like a good day to take a break. Great photos and comments...keep them coming! Ride carefully...you don't want them Mounties coming after ya!!
    :clap :clap :clap
  13. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    SKY SAILOR....I painted the splash guard with simple yellow automotive spray paint after sanding the surface a bit with 200 grid paper, primed it white then applied the yellow/orange. Gives a bit conspicuity.
  14. hondachopper

hondachopper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is sooo cool! I'm hooked. I feel like I'm riding along with you listening to your stories and the pictures...

I check in here 3 or 4 times a day---

Tom
  15. Scoop

Scoop runs with scissors

Oddometer:
    I sure hope the rain lets up for you. There was a large system rolling through there, but hopefully you will get nice weather soon.
    FYI, this is about the best site for accurate weather here:
    http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html

Have fun!
  16. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Decided to explore this area a bit before my Frau comes tomorrow. An ADV rider who himself is hearing impaired made contact with me through ADV posting, invited me to crash at his home; share meals, and chat. His name's Lloyd, who rides a Suzuki Vstrom and has been around and about. He's such a gent, is so accommodating and helpful, one couldn't ask for anything more. He even invited me to his parents house to meet them and have his mothers prime lunch.

LLOYD and his bike:

[​IMG]

His lovely folks....

[​IMG]

Then the 200+ ride went on...............

Confederation Bridge
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=j>The longest bridge over ice covered waters in the world, joining Borden-Carleton, Prince Edward Island and Cape Jourimain, New-Brunswick

[​IMG]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

[​IMG]

FLEURS FOR THE BIKERWOMAN OF THE WORLD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Solitude.............

[​IMG]

Residents of Prince Edward Island.....

[​IMG]

Brunhildes first red earth ride with Lloyd. It was kind of a wet earth/clay type consistency. Rode for some distance. I was a bit tense to see my heavy laden bike tackle these roads. Brunhilde did good, but on ocassion had to stand on the pegs in order to give better center of gravity and weigh forward...whew..!!

[​IMG]

Lloyd telling me that Brunhilde and I did fine......almost shaaat in my pants. Get ready for Labrador...?

[​IMG]

Salt Marsh Lands of PEI

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Typical small Campground for the small camper; no RV's here, Yeah.........

[​IMG]

View from atop campground.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    I've been meaning to ask this but didn't really know how appropriate it would be. I'll ask anyway. :lol3 I'm curious to know how has being deaf affected your travels? You've mentioned reading lips and having a bit of trouble communicating a few times. Can you elaborate on that a bit more? :ear
  18. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Gate to the NFL Ferry to Nova Scotia...1 hour 20 min....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Follow the Golf chart......for bike lane...

[​IMG]

Three Happy Beemers......(author on the right) met these guys..told them that I was deaf....both started mouthing very slowly and made me welcome immediately. One's from Maine and the other New Hampshire. They plan to run around NS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vacationing Canadians are way ahead in energy conservation and excercise..

[​IMG]

Wanna try this next year to ALASKA.......

[​IMG]

Brunhilde strapped down good; in gear and front brakes locked...

[​IMG]

Inside the bowels of the Ferry...

[​IMG]

Staircase to Heaven.....!

[​IMG]

Leaving the Dock...

[​IMG]

Underway...............[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sistership....

[​IMG]

Typical Fishing Harbour....

[​IMG]

Renovated, preserved Train Depot....

[​IMG]

You could still dine here but at standstill. Either dine in the railway car or inside the Depot.....really NEAT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dear Enthusiast....I am taking a few days of R&R with my Frau here in Moncton, so I won't be posting for some days. Many thanks for your continued support and encouragement and kind words.....there are indeed kind people in this uneasy world of ours. Thank you.
  19. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Jeffy......Your question is perfectly appropriate. No sweat. I try to ride and articulate my conversation within my means. I know I am deaf so there are times I look at the situation to match my needs. Everyone has different lip movements; has moustaches; southern drawls...foreigns accents;...all these are difficult. Some people simply have never met a deaf person and assume they have to shout. SO far the trip has been a blessing and everyone has been very accommodating. I find Canada's people much more forthcoming to ones handicap than Americans, although we have the best deaf education system and technology, but I do see the Canadian Quebeois reluctant to go the extra mile. Can't wait to visit Newfoundland, been told that their drawl is very Elizabethan..oh, God help me. Will keep you posted, Cheers...........
  20. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I figured it was best to just ask rather then be dumb and wonder. :lol3

Have fun on your R&R... This thread is like a small R&R for the rest of us.
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.