Yamaha XC155 (SMax) thread

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by 16873, Aug 28, 2014.

1. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the headlight or front end of the XC155 because of those LED's which make the visual presence stand out more than just one light.

On the SYM RV250 I had there was a circle of LED's below the headlight plus dual filament turn signals and that bike had the least number of people pulling out in front of me.
  2. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Hey Brian,

I agree for functionality the XC155 probably lights up the road in one massive glow. In retrospect after riding both Trail and Aero on the Night Ride I realized how little light emanated out of the big Honda headlight, pretty primitive.

It was especially evident when there were no streetlights.
    But I think it would be a great scoot for you and I hope you get one!

~ Red
  3. Motovista

Motovista Go Fast, See Nothing

Oddometer:
    Nice bike. Hopefully they will bring over one of the big wheel scooters next.
  4. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When they get here! May it fit well.
  5. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Brian, I'm sure you're on it!

~ Red

PS- Work hard, play harder!
  6. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't help but think fuel mileage might be a factor in sales. The Honda PCX150 is getting around 100mpg in the states, but the Fuelly website is reporting 65 to 75 mpg for the Yamaha Majesty 125.

Considering they don't sell the Majesty in the USA yet, who knows if the conversion on Fuelly is the same in other countries. For example in Britain they go by Imperial gallons.

If the US version of the Yamaha 155 is off by 25 mpg compared to the Honda, some may not be interested even though it seems to have a few extra features the Honda doesn't have. And in my case, the Burgman 200 is even more substantial than either the Honda or the Yamaha and it too is in the 75mpg range.

Tough choices.
  7. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought I had read 95mpg.

The Burgman 200 has been on my radar as well. There is something about the Yamaha that has me. I think that it has to do with it being close to the SR50 dimensions and being more of a sporting bent. Plus simple valve adjustments.

We will see.
  8. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not sure why it is but it seems out of the Japanese big 4 Yamaha has always been a distant 2nd to Honda in regards to fuel economy. Same class of bike in a Honda will get a little better mileage then a Yamaha. Suzuki tends to be 3rd best and Kawasaki dead last when it comes to mileage.

Not sure what secret mojo Honda has!

This was more so 10 years ago and beyond but not so much now of coarse. But even now some differences can still be observed between same class of bikes and the different brands.

I think its mostly because Honda tends to be more conservative with the performance figures. Usually Honda has under performing bikes compared to the others and this is likely why Honda's are slightly better on gas. Kawasaki for years had some seriously high performance stock motors unfortunately this design philosophy rare yields maximum mileage.

This is just my opinion based on owning lots of bikes. Others may have different opinions and differences are slight but yeah in my experience Honda tends to have class leading fuel economy. I would not be surprised if that ends up being the case between a XC155 and the PCX150. I bet the CX155 will end up going a little quicker and faster though!

My 2015 PCX150 is yielding amazing fuel economy. I don't have an exact reading in part because its so good. 161 miles so far on a 2 gallon tank and I still got 2 fuel bars remaining.
  9. AMAC1680

AMAC1680 Outdoorsman, advocate, paraplegic

Oddometer:
    I don't think gas mileage makes as much differance here as other parts of the world. The differance between 100mpg and 75mpg is about a .01 a mile differance.

At $4.00 a gallon it's $.040 a mile at 100mpg and $.053 a mile. At some point it's just numbers on paper. I don't see a penny and a half a mile as a deal breaker for most.

Just my .02

Be Big,
    AMAC
  10. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:

Absolutely. Around here the vehicle of choice (besides the Prius) is the full sized crew cab truck. Almost always seen with only one person in them. They are EPA rated at 16 mpg in 2WD configuration. Even if someone needs one of these, I just can't see them as single person commuter vehicles. Park it and use a small car for commuting.

I remember the "oil embargo" in late '73. The price of gas doubled almost overnight. This is actually what got the Japanese into the American car market, with their small cars and trucks. People were buying them like crazy, because of the price of gas. Now with the price of gas more than 5 times what it was then, most people seem to buy the largest vehicles they can find. I would love to buy a small truck, like the '70s Datsun and Toyota. But I can't, because there is no market for them here. I DRIVE an average of 25,000 miles a year, no way can I afford 16 mpg. My current transportation car gets nearly 30 mpg, my next one will need to be better than that.

I don't know where people get the money to put gas in those large vehicles, the economy must not be as bad as everyone says. All I know is that I can't do it.

As for motorcycles and scooters, they get such great mileage even I am not that concerned about it. I don't have any problems being able to put gas in any of my bikes. Right now I average about 15,000 miles a year on bikes. I used to do a lot more.

As for those Zumas, no way mine would have done anything like that, at least not with my weight on it. The frame would probably broken in half. I had all the body panels off, and the frame did not look that strong.
  11. JerryH

Oddometer:
    The total is indeed 40,000 miles a year. Yes I practically live on then road. I used to put as much as 25,000 miles a year on bikes, but since I started having health problems a few years ago, I started driving more and riding less. I typically make 3-4 3000 mile round trips to Portland OR a year, that alone can be as much as 12,000 miles. Just last May I made that trip. In a car. Made it up there in 22 hours straight, only stopping for gas, food, and restroom breaks. Did the same on the way back. Being on the road, on either 2 wheels or 4, is a recreational thing for me. I have both driven and ridden across the country more times than I can remember, over the past 40 years. Not including AK and HA, I have 4 states left to visit, but I have been to the rest of them many times.
  12. savit260

savit260 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much money have you spent on the multiple bikes/scoots you currently own? (let's not even figure in the price of the 40+ you've said you owned in other threads over the years.) I'd imagine if you added all that money up, it would buy a whole lot of gasoline for a pickup truck.

As for the Zuma. I go about 200 lbs ( a good bit more with my backpack full of gear for work) and have no problems getting 100mpg with mine on street tires. Given the purchase price of the scoot used, the cost of insurance and registration etc. It's still going to take a long while before I'm ahead on what I would have spent driving my pickup truck (about 22 mpg average) back and forth to work.

I do have a hell of a lot more fun riding the scoot back and forth though.
  13. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did the payback calculations when I bought my Zuma 125 (including insurance, maintainance, fuel, and tag fees). Two years of commuting on it for 6 months out of the year was break-even (80 miles of commuting per week). After that the total operating cost for those six months was 1/3 that of driving my Durango.
  14. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Live To Ride

Oddometer:
    My 2006 big ol' diesel truck has 160,000 miles on it; most of that is towing something heavy. Not sure I save a lot of money because of the scooters, but I do notice I have a bigger smile on my face... definitely more smiles per gallon. :D
  15. JerryH

Oddometer:
    My 2002 Vulcan 750 has 92,000 miles on it. XT225 has 30,000 on it, recently sold Zuma had over 8,000, and the Vino 125 before that had 26,000. I have put 100,000 miles on my '01 Malibu in the past 4 years.

Yes I have spent a small fortune on bikes during my life, enough to buy a house. Some would say I wasted it, but I enjoyed it. Now I enjoy riding and driving more than buying.

A lot of my traveling is impulsive. About a month ago, I woke up at 2:00 AM, couldn't sleep, was wide awake, went out and got in the car, filled up the tank, got something to drink, and drove all the way to San Diego. Got some food, walked down to the beach, then turned around and drove back. Nearly 1000 miles in 2 days.
    Tromper likes this.
  16. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Any more announcements for this little puppy?

Oh, and how come some countries get a windshield?

[​IMG]
  17. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:

Interestingly no and I have been looking for some sort of announcement plus checking the Yamaha website to see if it shows up there.

Usually Yamaha is pretty fast. I would not have been shocked if these were already on the showroom floor. The FZ-07 was a rumor and then 4 weeks later it was on dealer floors.

I was just thinking about this bike last night and the scooter market in general. Oil is tumbling and gas prices are expected to fall with it. Makes me wonder if the scooter market witch has always been small in the US is about to plummet even further? Perhaps Yamaha is having second thoughts bringing this scoot into the US market because of the recent dip in oil prices? Only thing is historically at least in the last 10 years whenever oil prices fall they find a reason for them to go back up. Also just because the price of oil is low does not mean we get a big break at the pump. Still $3.39 a gallon at Costco here thanks to the state gasoline tax.
  18. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    New models don't usually arrive until March. They better bring this in! It is the only recent bike that I definitely plan to snag.
  19. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Yes I agree Yamaha announces new models pretty early but they might wait until December or so. I am not sure that Yamaha would change their mind about bringing this new scooter to the US because of oil prices.

By the way, I saw $2.98 at the pump this weekend. I paid LESS $2.50 to refill my Super Cub. Not bad...
  20. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are probably correct. The current price of oil and fuel likely will not have any baring on the release of this scooter. Plus I can almost guarantee that something will happen in the world and oil will shoot back up. They want $5 gasoline and we will get there eventually.