2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Georgios

Georgios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On a picture, I can see two fans on the right side of the radiator. I would place a light paper sheet in front of the radiator. If the fans work, the paper shouldn´t fall down.
    Or you can see them operate when you look through the gap (between the orange and the black part) on the right side of the tank. At least some hot air should come out.
  2. explodingmouse

explodingmouse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joe Pilgers report from Africa on a 1190r states that he was pleased that the bike didnt overheat and he was extremely happy with the dual fans compared to his 990r.
  3. umitc

umitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes he is right; no overheating. Anyway, I will wrap it up tomorrow and wait for the Akra arrives in the dealer's stocks. I hope that it can turn to be more bearable.
  4. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
  5. umitc

umitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Surely there is a problem; I am maybe just a little bit more careful against it, then other people. During summer it gets between 30 and 40 degrees here and it will be even more irresistable.
  6. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:

Not exactly an answer to the question you were asking, but here are my 2 cents of generic approach to an answer: I have continuously had cars, since the 1990's, that have separate water and oil temperature gauges. For these cars, water and oil temperature not always run in tandem. Most common example: oil temps go up when higher RPMs are used, as in freeway riding at higher speeds, oil temps go down at idle speeds or stop and go traffic. Water/coolant goes down at higher speeds of travel, goes up when seating in traffic or at idle speeds. Now, an oil cooler/radiator changes that some but because of oil's higher viscosity when compared to water, oil cooler/radiators are not as efficient as water radiators. That is, oil remains a function of engine speed, will cool down when RPMs go down. Also, oil temps also change at slower rates than water/coolant temps change.
  8. umitc

umitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your detailed explanation. Today I have spent a lot of time wrapping the exhaust using thermotec copper wraps. Seems like we have overcome a good portion of the heat. I have done almost all the bumper but, in my opinion, the biggest cause to this problem is the small pipe, in the middle of the bike. I can give you more feedback later. By the way fans work well, no problem.
  9. veesquared

veesquared Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found a pic on page 2502 of this thread and see the stacked fans on the right. Cant wait to ride one but that is months away here in the USA.
  10. Lion BR

Oddometer:

One more thing... back to analogy of the car. Up until 50 C it is considered "cold" as in oil has not reached ideal temperature for doing its thing and pressure is high. And I've seen it go up to 110-120 C in constant free-way higher speeds in the summer. The car is an Audi, by the way. I'm glad the KTM has an oil temp gauge. I consider it important information (I also have an oil pressure gauge in the car, and you can see how the pressure goes down as oil temp rises). Oil temp and pressure are important information for decisions when to give the motor a break, if thinking on the longevity of the motor. Although these things are much more durable today, with better tolerances, better materials, almost irrelevant to worry about.
  11. Lion BR

Oddometer:

In my Tiger 800XC water temp almost never changes. In my Ducati it is always changing (but you see it as numbers and not a "needle" so it is easier to see it always changing, but always in the normal range).
  12. igorpetrovich

igorpetrovich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    show us a photo of your modification.....
    Today I was driving around Milan with a lot of traffic and traffic lights. In this conditions I felt some heat coming up on my right leg when stopping, nothing drammatic....
    as soon as I got moving the heat was over.
  13. umitc

umitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Lion, you are right. Oil temperature should be higher. So, at least now I am sure that the water temperature is stable at 1190. The wraps stopped the heat rising; not totally, but to a better range. I am happier now. :-)))) I think that I can enjoy it more now. :-)))
  14. Lion BR

Oddometer:
    Also, I would read the manual, see if they have information on what is the oil temp range. In my car, normally aspirated V-6 motor, it says not to push below 50 C and slow down if oil temps hit 130 C.
  15. umitc

umitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes you are right, let me check it too
  16. coast range rider

coast range rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe we need a survey, which side hotter right or left? :D
  17. umitc

umitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you have an alligator skin :D:D:D:D
  18. umitc

umitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was a joke :-)) maybe it's the help of Akrapovic
  19. igorpetrovich

igorpetrovich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it depends on witch foot you put down when you stop, the other leg gets the heat.....:rofl
  20. umitc

umitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]