Idiots Knock over Gobblins in Gobblin Valley

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Yellow Pig, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Tfogger

Tfogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is right up with the idiots that shot up the petroglyphs a while back. I'm not sure it rises to the level of a felony, but it is definitely a crime. Stupid should be painful, and expensive.
  2. Sig_Sour

Sig_Sour Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These types, as with any "types", don't just pop out of the ground. They are a product of our society, a part of it at least. Do a majority of Americans give three-quarters of a flying f$%& about this sort of behavior? "No one got hurt, it's a rock and some dirt"...I'm not justifying it, but that what many others are probably saying especially these d-bags' friends and family.

Did this even make the local news? That'd be telling.
  3. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    They weren't idiots, they were a "giddy trio". (fuckin' morons)
  4. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    I heard (but didn't see it myself) that the video was on Good Morning America this morning. :dunno
  5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    It made the NBC evening news tonight. Dicktard asshats...
  6. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    YES! I believe it was employees of the Salt Lake Tribune that found the vid on FB and they pulled a copy or something before the dipshits took it down. And now its national news.

I don't know why that matters tho...the friggin rock had stood there for 20 million years until dipshit, dipwad and son of dipshit decided to exercise their might....er....dipshit's lard and knock it over. Granted, the rock was probably not balanced just so the entire time, but it eroded that way.

These lying morons have no clue and should be banned from being able to enter any Utah state or any National Parks. Hows that for part of their punishment?
  7. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    Wow, that is really sad. That behavior is completely against everything Boy Scouts teaches. I'm a Webelos den leader with Webelos 2 and 1st Class Scout sons. I'm very disappointed.
  8. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Devil's Advocate: Has no one knocked over a rock on the side of the 5MOH trail riding up a hill? Are some rocks in the desert worth more than others? Would you cry the same tears and have the same angst if that one rock fell over in a heavy rain as it would surely would have? Yes, it is a state park but we all ride through and dig ditches in the same kind of places. These people will get the wrath from the same groups that are trying to take away our access to the same places riding our bikes through the desert. A felony? Put it in perspective. Flame away.
  9. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, I found the quality of Boy Scout leaders has really gone down since I Scouted long ago. There are still some very good and dedicated leaders with sound skills, but the training and wilderness ethics in the program haven't kept up with the times. My son was in Cub Scouts a while ago. I was shocked to find how much a suburban/urban experience the program has become. Ernest Thompson Seton is rolling in his grave.

Our society is to blame, also. We're all supposed to live with high railings, signage, and all sorts of things to keep us "safe." I'm amazed anyone goes out of their backyard.
  10. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Not a flame, but risk management is a big part of the outdoors experience. Lots of people have been killed on Everest. Does this mean we should put a fence around it or blast it flat?

When I ride, I don't bring a bulldozer to clear a path. I don't intentionally trash the landscape. These guys did, and I want riders to be in no way associated with them. Stupid's supposed to hurt.

If you're not in-tune enough to get out of they way of a falling rock, stay out of the woods. Same thing for snow avalanches..I. for one am deeply sick of seeing good people getting killed on rescue missions.

If you don't know how to be in the woods, for Christ's sake stay home.

11. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    FC are you trollin? That's a surprising comment. I hardly see the similarly between knock in a rock over on a trail accidently and destroying one of the very things that is unique enough to make that location a state park not to mention the message that sends out by posting it up on the web. Usually there's a big difference in transversing a trail and destroying something that is a state landmark, at least in my book.

12. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Knocking a rock over "accidentally" while digging a trench up a steep hill on 5MOH is morally superior? They are both intentional acts and both rocks have been there a long time and make (made?) it a special place. I think that is literally a slippery slope. Let's look in the mirror before casting a stone to be honest with ourselves. Be careful with whom you are aligning against the act of destructively moving a rock in the desert . Those are all special rocks to someone. Just a Devil's Advocate here since there are a lot of riders here cutting a fine line calling for a felony arrest for the same outcome from someone else riding the same place for shits and giggles and posting there own incriminating evidence for all to see. Take a look in this page's own ride report of riding 5MOH to get a perspective and the image of our own actions that cause the same destruction in a cloud of dirt and noise and tire smoke.
  13. Tfogger

Tfogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I ride, I stay on established trails, and avoid damaging the surrounding environment(like the cryptobiotic crust in the areas around Moab). You can be certain that I don't go out of my way to destroy unique landmarks. There is a big difference between inadvertently dislodging a rock the size of my fist riding up a steep hill on an established trail, and making a deliberate effort to ruin a unique geological rarity for no other reason than because I can.
  14. ironbrewer

ironbrewer Hopefully Riding

Oddometer:
    Was in Colorado now in The Northwet, Washington

I have to say that I don't see the parallel either.
  15. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The whole safety concern thing is just a cop out cause they got caught.
  16. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    It is human nature to see no parallels when we have our own selfish justifications for doing the same level of damage but with different moral glasses and intentions while out on our own adventures that end up with the same outcome. There are none so blind as those who will not see. Yeah for our team
  17. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Will the next rock you knock over riding 5MOH be special enough to someone else to swear a felony warrant against you for knocking over their sacred rock? This attitude would fit right in with the Sierra Clubbers agenda.

I am just seeing no common sense here to see how we are them but we try to convince ourselves that our actions are somehow morally superior when the same rocks attain the same levels of entropy through our own acts of entertainment.
  18. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    Even worse when folks know they have done bad get caught and suddenly they justify their actions by some lame excuse. We are becoming a society of VICTIMS, its always someone elses fault. You will not find these guys picture anywhere near a definition of leadership.
  19. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Nor will you see vindication for those who do the same damage blasting a motorcycle up an unstable hill except from their own mutual admiration society. Reality is an elusive bitch.
  20. Canuman

Oddometer:
    That's a shallow argument. I can kick up a rock weighing several pounds. In the scope of things, it does minor harm, but it still does some harm. I don't rail or roost unless completely necessary. I've never dropped a rock weighing several tons. I run trials tires. You can scream and shout about guns 'n' freedom or whatever you want to do, but busting the landmarks or stealing the antiquities will get you cuffed and stuffed. These guys were complete assholes.

Would you ride through a cemetery knocking over crosses on the bike just because it was in your path? Thought not. The sooner we calculate the line between freedom and responsibility, the better off we'll be.