Fuel filters installed in 990 filler caps.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Trail bandit, Jun 27, 2013.

1. guglemonster

guglemonster Crivens!!!

Oddometer:
  2. rossguzzi

rossguzzi Started on Montesa.

Oddometer:
    Gugglemonster can you tell more about it ??
  3. guglemonster

guglemonster Crivens!!!

Oddometer:
    sure, shoot the questions :)

btw, depending on the shape and construction of your tuono tank cap it may be possible to adapt one filter to your tuono as well :)

mp me with whatever questions

I still have to understand how it works here, sorry i'm too much of a neewbee here

regards :) and I miss my green face for the smiles heheheeh

:killen:killen:killen:killen:killen:killen:killen:killen
  4. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good alternative. With 3 tanks, I am going with external,inline filters for the right side and auxiliary tanks. Looking for a handheld filter for use with the left side tank for those rare instances where I am getting questionable quality gas. Anyone have a source???

Thanks
  5. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. renogeorge

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Might work. I like the filtration but was thinking of something foldable and taking up less space.....
  7. guglemonster

guglemonster Crivens!!!

Oddometer:
    Unless you will use 30 microns or less filtering capacity you will never prevent the per-pump filter from clogging up and the pump from cavitating

The stupid paper filter in the pump is working between 5 and 10 microns and you will have to replace them eventually too, again falling in the stupid original design

Change the prefilter at the pump with a bigger one, eliminate the paper one with an automotive stell canister external setup and prefilter at cap

Unless you will refuel diesel or sugar enriched petrol your bike will never ever suffer from filter or fuel starvation

Eliminating the stupid paper filter will improve also pump efficiency pushing a couple of lines of bars, 0,2 bar usually, more due to smaller flow resistance

Result is a better throttle response at low and middle range

:D

This is the set up runninr on my as well as other bikes at the moment

Can't beat it ;);););)

E funnel is ideal for 4x4 for bike is a real pain in the back
  8. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those gains seat of the pants or dyno?

Sent using Telepathy
  9. Spark01

Spark01 V-Twin

Oddometer:
    There is a pressure regulator inside the fuelpump. Removing a filter doesn't increase any thing. The pressure regulator will maintain that same fuel pressure....
  10. guglemonster

guglemonster Crivens!!!

Oddometer:
    Yesno

The pressure maybe the same but the flow and resistance to flow have nothing to do with pressure since the pump will have to fight less in case of bigger and better flow surface

We do not talk about more power just about better throttle response derived from less resistance from the media ;)
  11. guglemonster

guglemonster Crivens!!!

Oddometer:
    Here again we are talking the wrong language

I do not talk about more power just better response

Pants if you want, pants of people working on rally sets, but it was a by product of the free of standard filter design

I went for getting rid of the original dwarf design and obtained also a better responding bike

More I am not saying nor selling ;)

Ain't no wonder trick, it 's a filter setup nothing more

Again every time somebody is talking about something simple and cheap which works there must be a dyno run ;)

I just wanted clean petrol whatever the source without having to put and remove filters at cap o putting original mini filters

:D:D:D:D:D
  12. Themastermike

Oddometer:
    Never said MUST, just asked if verified.

KTM engineers know about flow requirements even if they don't consider the guy on the road and plugged filters.

Sent using Telepathy
  13. guglemonster

guglemonster Crivens!!!

Oddometer:
    Heheh

Here another issue which I personally find very interesting

Engineers
    Yep there must be some working at Ktm, but I suppose they drive the fork lifts

:D:D:D

Air box
    Regulator
    Clutch master/slave
    Clutch push rod
    Generator
    Main switch and fuse position
    Battery size/position
    Fuel pump assembly
    Brake lines for abs bikes
    Pds

The list may get a tad boring so I'll stop here

Ktm is far from being a perfect product, I am pretty fond of mine but have being working at it since 2007 and I am still wondering what will come next

About the fuel...

Let,s take the gs 1200 or any previous 11xx ie model

Ever took apart the pump in tank set??

Weeeeeeel far from perfect but much better designed an the newer Kim jimmick

Big strainer, automotive std fuel pump, general in line in tank alu fuel filter,

The new 1200 has not a set up were you must wait until all goes clogged up and you must change filter and pump !!!!!!!! Again marketing haahahaha

Got a solution for that too.... Just as somebody already did also here ;););)

What Ktm was after was a copy-proof system to tie the customer to original spare parts

First prefilter is/was plastic based membrane water separating and prone to sudden clogging and pump cavitating origin

The paper filter has the size good for a carburetor 125cc Jawa not a fuel gouged like our small virgin

No... Ktm eng have nothing to do with thi part of the bike.... Believe me
    Here is marketing people after the cash for the original spare and consumables were they charge you a 100 bucks for 5$ stuff

And please don't tell me it's a fair price or I will put in the 40€ they charge for two stupid o-rings :D:D:D:D:rofl:rofl

Btw. The new per filter lost water separation capacity gained 30% more surface filtration and is now based on non woven PE wool trapped in a 200micron mesh

Btw

The same filter is used on the er6n..... Sort of a bad joke no??????

:D:cry:D

Now any one interested in revealing his profession as a Ktm eng??? Nope even if they do check all important forums.... Or at least they should haahahaha

I was Piaggio product marketing...... Was there bought the ticket got the scars

:rofl. :D:D:D:D:rofl:D:D

Ps

Damn I hate thi friggin istupidpad it's continuously changing or erasing what I'm writing
  14. Themastermike

Oddometer:
    Marketing.

You are good with words.

Sent using Telepathy
  15. Hootowl

Hootowl Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. renogeorge

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I think that will work for me. Maybe get one and modify it so it fits and can be moved to each tank when filling. I have 3 tanks with in line filters for the right side and auxiliary. Should work for a mexico trip and infrequent fill ups from questionable sources....
  17. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
  18. guglemonster

guglemonster Crivens!!!

Oddometer:
    Ups do I have to feel offended???

:D:D:D

I am better with my brain and hands

Ok, how should I demonstrate the results behind the words????

Pictures???

My solution to pump filter with reusable automotive prefilter and multiple water stopping layers media replaceable ????

How to fix an out of th tank automotive filter and remove the stupid paper umbrella???

My solution for below the cap mounting filter???

You see, it's a forum, people talk, people work, people solve ;);)
    It' a wonderful think tank over e world, there are plenty of other forum with great people presenting ideas and working on their bikes, and I am happily part of some very fine ones among them and it's my luck ;);)

For the ret jut brain squeezing and good old sweat and research

Ups... Again just words haahahahah

:norton:norton:norton:norton:norton

:D:D:D:D

As for the rest of filters you are presenting

All can be adapted, it's only a question on how you think e problem over and if they will or will not solve the problem of the dumb filter set at pump
  19. renogeorge

Oddometer:
    I am enjoying your enthusiasm for the whole discussion. But I am confused as to exactly what you are recommending and selling?

I saw the earlier pictures of the in-cap sock type filters. Do these fit original KTM Adventure gas caps? Can I assume they are easily removable for cleaning? What is price?

It also sounds like you have an idea for a different solution at the pump? What is it you are recommending? Automotive type cannister filter? Where? How? Pictures??

Thanks
  20. guglemonster

guglemonster Crivens!!!

Oddometer:
    Shah

Thank you for your words

I asked the admin if I can put my stuff and how

Don't want to go against any rules and don't know hot to post otherwise both my ideas and the results

I do produce under the caps filter, to clean them, should ever the need arise since they are really big compared to the pump prefilter for example, you simply remove the cap and clean them, or in case of the separate membrane you open the cap and remove/clean and remount it :)

As for the pump solution I produce a multy layer filter twice the sice of the original one just to mount on the pump instead of the tea bag

For the paper filter I have simply installed outside the tank an in-line GM or Bosch automotive filter, petrol reinforced hose and inbox screw bracelets (not sure about the translation)

https://www.google.com.tw/search?q=...hl=pl&client=safari#biv=i|0;d|2vvp-zZUjDWIYM:

Sorry for the link don't know how to post it with e iPad

As for the "socks" they are designed to be attached under the fuel cap and stop any contaminants, two type, for carburetor bikes 20/30 microns high speed flow and for ie bikes 0 microns filtration.

Maybe in order not to break any rules I should wait for the admin ;)

As for your trip to Mexico, I will send you a couple of ideas in mp waiting for the admin :)

:D:D:D:D:D