Oil Filters ??

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by lockyv7, May 30, 2012.

1. lockyv7

lockyv7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunshine Coast Australia. There is no winter here.
    OK so i had a service kit sent for my 89 R100GS and after droping the oil and removing the filter i find the new filter is to long, its for an oil cooler fitted bike i think and my bike hasnt got a oil cooler. Now i have a look through the boxs of BM stuff i have and find this, 'the photo' this filter is one unit not a two part filter but its the right length. Will this filter fit ok, the hinged filter is just to clear the faring or crash bars on some bikes right or am i wrong. Will save me half a day getting another filter if it fits.

OX36 was the hinged filter to long
    OX35 is filter i found in my stash

[​IMG]
  2. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    Bent or not bent, there are only 2 lengths of Airhead BMW oil filters.
    Long is for the oil cooler models.
    Short is for Non oil cooler bikes.
    I guess I've never seen a GS without an oil cooler. I'm wondering if your bike has been modified or if the oil cooler spec is just for certain countries.
    I've been working in the BMW industry for a long time, and here in the states I've not seen one without a cooler.
    Too make your life easier, next time you order a filter, tell them you have a 1971 R75/5. That way you will get the right filter.
    They can't fuck that up.............
  3. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    I have an OX37, hinged filter that I have been carting around for about 10 years. If this fits you are welcome to it and I will even bring it up to you tomorrow, rain or shine. I think it`ll be rain, but I need a ride and my bike`s filthy anyway.
  4. lockyv7

lockyv7 Long timer

Oddometer:

I fitted the other filter i had, just about ready to start this thing again, i had to reline the tank and do a few other things. I will have to change the fork oil again as i drained them then mixed up some 15w and 20w fork oil and stood in front of the bike and said this goes in the left, remember i am standing in front looking at it. You get that sometimes no big deal, it just means they get a flush out then the right oil.

Wont be home tomorrow, there sticking my ex mother in law in the ground and i have to go along, just to make sure she stayes in there !! :evil

I will be here saturday working in the shed and be great to have someone drop in for coffee and a chat, 0417622880 is my number if you want to give me a call.
  5. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    Good to hear you`ve got things sorted. I work Sat through to Tues, so most weekends are out for me, unless I`m going away somewhere.

I would like to have a look at your operation/bikes up there sometime though.
  6. lockyv7

lockyv7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the next project for now, to build the luggage system and fit up the new exhaust can i picked up, I have a display at the Horizons travelers meeting next weekend and want to take the 100GS along with some luggage fitted, more than likely have to stick it in my van as i have take tables and about a dozen set of luggage along to for a couple of days. I am here most days, head on up for a spin anytime.

[​IMG]