Why Does It Always Have To Be A Harley........

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by elite1, Nov 20, 2012.

1. elite1

elite1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I'm in outside sales and I walk in to see one of my new customers. In an effort to start up a conversation, I told him I just picked an old motorcycle. Heres how the conversation went.......

Me - "So, I just picked up an old motorcycle I've been messing with......"

Him - "Cool. What did you get? Shovelhead? Knucklehead?"

Me - " Nah, Nah, its an old Honda. Ft500 Ascot. 1982. Thumper."

Him - "Only bike worth owning is a Harley......"

HERE WE GO......

Me - "Oh, you ride? Whatcha got?"

Him - "I dont own a bike."

Me - "You dont?"

Him - "Nope, but I do know enough to know that the only bike worth owning is a Harley."

WTF??? Okay, we're done here.......
  2. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    Because the world is half full of mindless asshats. The same losers that plaster MoCo stickers, t-shirts etc. even though the scariest ride they ever had was on a Schwinn. They want the "badass image". The angry scowl that comes with the Village People look. The same guy who couldn't even change his own oil, let alone conceive "restore" an old bike/car/house. We, as motorheads, I've come to realize, are freaks. The mainstream is stick and ball sports. Stick to that and things will go smoother. You'll know when you walk into the office of a gearhead, it's the little things in the decor that will tip you off.
  3. elite1

elite1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can I get an amen!
  4. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with old Harley's, actually I love the old things. But the knuckle draggin' mouth breathers that seem to gravitate to that brand actually makes me nervous for the human races' gene pool.
  5. ikonoklass

ikonoklass Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer:
    Just humor them. When they say Harleys are the only bikes worth owning, say "Damn straight!"
  6. willis 2000

willis 2000 neo-quixote

Oddometer:
    Let's see some pics of that FT500. Most people quit on them because the carburetor/charging system problems cost a few hundred bucks to repair.
    Old shovelhead/knucklehead Harleys are cheap, but they require constant repairs to even operate, and, despite what others will soon say, are antiques as rideable machines.
  7. marksbonneville

marksbonneville Long timer

Oddometer:
    It must have made a big impression on you to make you share it with all of us. No doubt over the years I have had a few overly excited Harley people ramble on, and BMW people, a lot of Triumph people but NEVER have I had someone come up to me and get excited over a Honda Ascot, but then when it happens I will post about it here.
  8. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    When people who are not into bikes talk about bikes, Harley inevitably comes up. "Aren't they the best motorcycles in the world?" If you disagree, you get the "obviously you don't know squat about bikes" look.

So I've given up talking bikes with people who aren't into bikes, and pretty much with most "lifestyle" riders.
  9. marksbonneville

marksbonneville Long timer

Oddometer:
    In over 35 years of riding I never noticed it but then I was usually on a brit bike. I now have a Harley and nobody has told me its the best motorcycle in the world yet, I have noticed that little old ladies seem to wink at me more.
  10. chiefrider

chiefrider Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer:
    "You got a motorcycle? Cool! Did you go to Sturgis?"

[​IMG]

Tom in Salem
  11. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    When they start looking good to you, you'll know you've "matured". :lol3

GILF's? Grandmothers I'd like to....... :rofl
  12. caponerd

caponerd Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    You're joking. Kuckleheads, cheap?

One on ebay, already restored

Another, chopped, would take a lot to bring back to original spec

Another expensive project

One listed at Walneck's, a bobber.

I won't directly comment on their ridability, except to say that I know a few guys who do ride them, some quite a lot.
    Have you owned a vintage Harley?
    They're no different than most other old bikes; they need regular maintenance to be reliable.
  13. presto88

presto88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've met a lot of people who are fanatical about their particular brand of motorcycle but, in my experience, the Harley guys are unique in their belief that their bike is the only "real" motorcycle.
  14. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMW guys have been known to say very similar things.
  15. caponerd

caponerd Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Oh well, who cares? We all know those guys are not "motorcycle enthusiasts", otherwise, they'd be more open minded about other people's choices.
    I know lots of Harley owners (the aforementioned knucklehead riders included) who appreciate all motorcycles.
  16. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    Next time just say you bought an MT500 or Harley Aermacchi. Then you'll be cool in his eyes.
  17. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Old Harleys meaning up to about 1945,those are slick old codgers of bikes.
    The new advertising driven schlock bikes are all the same cookie cutter parts bin specials with shiny new paint,metalflake being cool this year. And really,as long as you dont plan on leaning over much further then a Buick,dont care much about suspension or top line brakes,maybe youve always wanted a set of ape hangers, a new Harley may be the perfect bike. Of course,really,the look is the overlying factor for purchase. Or your best buddy/neighbor got one.
  18. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Farkle? :rofl
  19. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I have nothing against Harleys per se, but that kind attitude gets all over me. I would be tempted to egg him on, telling him that HD is a sell out company, and the only real American motorcycle company was Indian. I'd go on to say that HD was just a copycat startup when Indian was a pionier in motorcycle racing in 1901, and they are only still in business because they sell t-shirts to people who don't even know how to ride.

I think the majority of people with that attitude believe that because they are loyal to USA made vehicles, so they would have a hard time putting down Indian, and the t-shirt comment should send his tail hiding between his legs.

I really don't believe any of that, but love to play devil's advocate. Harleys, Indians, Hendersons...they are all cool in their own right, but I also love the Hondas, BMWs, Triuphs, and Ducatis. Personally, I like sporty performance machines, but I wouldn't tell someone their choice sucked, even if it was a scooter with a top speed of 20 mph with a flower basket on the handlebars. (OK, I might snicker quietly to myself :lol3).
  20. Domiken

Domiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So my buddy and I walked into a gritty diner in the middle of the state of New York (super rural) around 10am, we are riding an SV650 and SV1000, and every bike we have passed since we left NYC has been a Harley (not one wave). A few older gentlemen turned around and mumbled something about our crotch rockets, so we paid them no mind, one of them with a thick white beard walks over and mentions why we aren't riding Harleys? We look at each other and just said not our style, he then said, those were the biggest pieces of shit that I've owned in my lifetime, the 75yr old dude was telling us about his old Moto Guzzi's, Triumphs and his precious Suzuki Hustler, and how he wishes he could restore his old Honda CB350, etc... pretty cool old dude, we couldn't believe it. He then mumbled something about some motorcycle hangouts from the 60's and 70's in northern long island (where he's from) and how he wonders if they are still there... etc.. we expected a different convo, but I gave the old man some props for knowing his bikes and surprising us with the stereotypical outlook of old dudes = Harleys.