Kern Plateau on chesty 650's

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by goldentaco, Dec 14, 2012.

1. goldentaco

goldentaco Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am planning a Spring trip out to and around the Kern Plateau area Sherman pass and whatnot and am needing some routing advice as in what not to ride. I plan to visit some of the lookouts in the area and have planned a few loops one of which returns to the main hwy via Rincon. After viewing some videos of the Rincon it may not be a good choice for the little piggies.

I'm a strong Intermediate DS rider , bike has knobbies, and am comfy on anything my bike can make it over but what would be some routes to definitely avoid? I.E like no place to turn around.

J
  2. Windrat

Windrat just a poser

Oddometer:
    stick to the roads if your riding a bmw 650... there are no eazy trails and turn a rounds are just going to dig holes

bring a ktm 530 or like.... ride and have fun
  3. DowDuer

DowDuer !rn00b-aK

Oddometer:
    Tehama Co. California, gateway to Hwy 36!
    I second this. I did some trail riding out there on my DR650 and wouldn't recommend it. There are switchbacks, step-ups, and sections so narrow you will have trouble fitting your bike through. It is no country for lone riders.
  4. HAPPYTRAILSINC

HAPPYTRAILSINC single track rider

Oddometer:
    there are plenty of great dirt roads up there to explore!
    without getting into anything difficult!
    ranchiera rd/ and any thing up in the green horn mountians/ monument!
    get a map at the ranger station in town!
    get a room in kernville (thekernlodge or the pineconeinn), and explore the surrounding mountian passes!
    this is an awsome place to visit!
    plenty of great place to eat and drink:freaky
  5. goldentaco

goldentaco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good info guys.

I have a FS map and it has what I think are actually Hiking trails or multiuse singletrack with FS road designations and Basecamp has everything up there looking like a "road".

I think will just stick to the map and Google designated "roads" to plan my routes and explore some of the other trails.

Where is the nearest gas to Sherman Pass and Kern River Rd. intersection? Kernville?

J
  6. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:

Kernville or Pearsonville sometimes at Ponderosa