Father/Daughter Dance

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Thinc2, May 21, 2006.

1. MGB

MGB ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer:
    My posts were a quick reaction to the picture. Not my kid, not my ride. I removed my posts.
  2. andy45320

andy45320 n00b

Oddometer:
    Neighboor across the street has 3 young daughters (all under 10) and each of them have their own dirt bikes with gear. It is just the coolest thing in the world to see.
  3. ilmostro

ilmostro Under Da Sea

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  4. BigDave

BigDave Adventure Drummer

Oddometer:
    COOL! :thumb

Ashton is outfitted in mostly MX gear. He out grew the boots. This year I am getting him som Alpinestars (touring) in wimins sizes. Gore tex and all. $169. Crash gave him a full face helmet w/shield. Ashton got tired of the mx helmet and goggles. Thanks Ray!!

My kid digs younger chicks. When you want to ride together? :evil

[​IMG]
  5. Bossmech

Bossmech Chubb Feeley

Oddometer:
    Very inspiring ! !
  6. svwayne

svwayne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ATGATT. My little dirt biker. She's got 2 speeds - WFO and stopped. Last time out she biffed pretty hard and tore up her elbow and hip. She walked around for 2 weeks showing her dirt bike injuries off to whoever was around. I don't know if I should be proud or scared. Haven't had her on the DL650 with me yet. Mom probably wouldn't mind, she's cool with the dirt bike. I'll wait until the little rugrat asks for a ride on the DL before I cross that bridge. If mom objects, and can make a good argument in support, then I have no problem waiting. I've yet to experience a bad decision when wifey and I both had our say and worked through to a resonable conclusion. The way I look at - she has her strengths, I have mine. When we combine those strengths the result is stronger than either one of us alone.

Attached Files:

7. drewhbend

drewhbend Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    great shot! My daughter asked me again if she could get one like that but she wants her to be blue. She was very specific it had to be blue. Girls????

Then I remebered I really like all my bikes to be the color I like too...red. so I guess thats cool.
  8. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    New enough has kids MX gear on sale, got the e-mail yesterday from them. I haven't seen much in the way of kids street gear off the shelf, but I'm sure motoport would make them - just send in a pair of jeans and jacket that fit your kid and they can replicate them in kevlar:thumb

Over the last couple years the selection of women's gear has grown greatly and is offered in some rather small sized. My 5'2, 100lbs mom has no trouble finding gear these days:)
  9. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:

Dave - would love to ride together sometime. I'll PM you once I get the gear together and get her used tolonger rides.

Course, the other issue is that off road, you're as fast (or faster) on the GS two up as I am on the DRZ :D

Look for a PM after BV sometime.

tim
  10. dieter von hexhead

dieter von hexhead I made a doodie...

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  11. Just_Sean

Just_Sean herewegoagain

Oddometer:
    :photog

BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from the land of the barefoot and pregnant :rolleyes

How come the henpecked guys ALWAYS try to portray themselves as the man of the house????
  12. Mrs. Lone*Star

Mrs. Lone*Star Motorcycle Ornament

Oddometer:
    :dunno I don't know you. I am also a native Texan, but just don't get it...I respect my husband's role in our family and he "definately" has the lead (and does a damn nice job of it)-however, because our relationship is SO right he would never be so one-sided! I don't want to come across as judging you...not meaning too. I just want to encourage you to have enough confidence in your spouse to make smart/wise decisions that would make you proud. In the end, you will also allow her to feel better about herself ( and vice-versa)

Cheers. Mrs. Lone*Star
  13. L.A.

L.A. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool!! I can't relate to the father-daughter relationship, but my son and I have had many a good adventure on the bike.
  14. iuekwee

iuekwee Let's be friends.

Oddometer:

HAHAHAHAHAHAH! I love that picture! Stoic silence. Hilarious!:rofl
  15. Texklr

Texklr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't know what being Texan has to do with it, but I've been around so many mamby-pamby momma's boys in my life..call their old man 20 times a day at work to "talk", 20 times an hour after work if he's having a beer, and cut him off forever if he plans a bike weekend with his buds. Either you're a man, or you're not. I don't have to discuss with my wife of 29 years what I'm doing after work, when I'm gonna be home, or where I'm going. I have a cell...she'll call one time. when I get around to it, I call back. I've always made the final decisions in our family, with her in put if necessary, she trusts me to do the right thing. We're NOT 50/50. That crap doesn't work. Let the bleeding hears begin right here...I am the man of the house:norton

16. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    definitely Texan...

:pot :poser

PS- Nice pic, Tim. When I was in kindergarten, my Dad dropped me off and picked me up from school on his Harley. Of course, it was an Italian made harley "Enduro", but I was still the coolest kid in school!
  17. Brad Felmey

Brad Felmey Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love how the personal insults have come out. Truly the hallmark of a strong argument. :rolleyes

Being the leader and treating my wife like solid gold are not mutually exclusive (well, with some of you maybe it is :rolleyes ).

I challenge any one of you insulters to come meet my wife and me in person. I apologize in advance for not being the rednecked, whip-cracking, rotton-toothed, sloped-forehead, beer-swilling, dirty-t-shirt-wearing stereotype. I'm sure you'll not recognize me in my business suit, holding the door and chair for Shelby, and sipping sweetened iced tea while I listen attentively to her day.

But I'm interrupting the insult-fest. Please continue with the references to my evolutionary status, geographical stereotypes, and general inability to comprehend the idea of a family leader. Please exclude reason and any other inconvenient thought processes, just let the uber-brainiac postings of cro-magnon portraits continue apace.
  18. Georgiapeach

Georgiapeach Adventurer-Lite

Oddometer:
    Anyone who exposes their children to the world of motorcycling is opening up a whole new world for them and should be proud. I remember the time I grabbed my son's helmet and picked him up from our neighborhood elementary school on the Magna. He was thrilled as it was the first time I ever rode with him on pillion and I know he will remember that day forever. PS, we were not totally ATGATT that day either. Now, he can ride my DR-Z better than I can!

Good work, Dad! :clap

Georgia
  19. CDillard

CDillard Old Bass Player Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thread has definitely taken an interesting turn:evil . I think that each couple/family has to work out how they balance "control" with feeling that their individual input is valued and taken seriously. For some folks the man "taking the lead" works for them and the woman is cool with that. For others it doesn't work and the woman needs more input and/or "control" :lol3 I have buddies who definitely "wear the pants" in their families and also have buds who call their wives/SO, etc every 20 minutes when we are camping/riding/drinking, etc.

For Roverwife and myself we have more of a 50/50 split on making decisions regarding our family, finances, etc. If either of us wants "time off" we try to be respectful of what that means for the other (we have two small kids) and plan accordingly.:deal IMO

However, the old saying is true for any relationship "IF Mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy" :lol3

Cheers :freaky

Chris
  20. Bentley

Bentley Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m a Texan, and my wife and I make decision together. Neither of us has the “lead” in our relationship, I don’t “give her 90% percent of what she wants” since I don’t believe that I own it in the first place.

She works – I work;
    She picks the kid up from school – I take the kid to school;
    She cleans the house – I clean the house;
    She reads her book a few hours every day – I exercise a few hours every day;
    She hates to cook – I love to cook;
    She loves to sleep in – I like to get up early;
    She’s completely uninterested in motorcycling – I’m completely uninterested in genealogy;

I don’t ask for permission to do many of things that I do (and I do a lot), but I make sure she knows where I am and how to contact me and that it is not inconveniencing her unnecessarily. While we aren’t perfect, I do think that my daughter is learning that nobody has a inherent right to lead in a relationship just because of gender or income.

Clearly, couples/families can have different kinds of relationships that work well for them and we should be glad for that.

Cheers from Austin,

Ben