GA to AK back to GA on a 1K

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cmkaduce, Jun 22, 2011.

1. cmkaduce

cmkaduce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My grandfather this year decided he would like to ride from MN to the Arctic Circle and back one more time. He has done it three times already by motorcycle both times. When I found out about this once in a lifetime opportunity, I thought I would share it with anyone else that might be interested. What better place than ADVRider!

I will be taking my 05 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 up to my hometown in MN from Atlanta, GA. I plan on leaving July 2 & returning August 6. I have mapped out backroads the entire way from GA to MN and a good majority of the rest of the trip will be on backroads as well. I will meet up with my grandfather in MN and we will begin our journey to AK together. Additionally, my father will also be joining us for part of the trip, so we will have three generations putting on some miles together! The plan is to ride straight up to Fairbanks and spend a little time with my relatives there. My relatives do the Iditarod so I am looking forward to seeing the dogs. From there we plan to spend the day in Denali, then down to Valdez, then back into Canada where we will stay in Banff, Jasper and Lake Louise. From there, we head down into Montana to Glacier, then into Wyoming to Yellowstone, then over to the Black Hills of South Dakota, then back to MN where I will spend a day with family before heading back to GA. I will post up some pictures and updates periodically. Looking forward to an unforgettable journey!! :D
  2. Semper Gumby

Semper Gumby Vintage Adventure

Oddometer:
    ...from just down the road in Atlanta GA!!
  3. Eagletalon

Eagletalon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sounds like the adventure of a lifetime especially when you add your grandfather and father. I can only imagine the experience that this will be for the 3 of you and The stories that you guys will be able to share in years to come.
  4. MacG

MacG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great trip, ride safe :thumb
  5. Dazn

Dazn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I didn't know your dad is joining you for a bit now!

Ride safe Cody, I will see you next Tuesday when I roll through ATL. Have the Maker's and ginger ready, ha.

BTW, the Pilot Road 2s barely look used. I think Ill get close to 10k out of them no problem.
  6. charliesdaemon

charliesdaemon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    where in MN are you guys departing from? Will you guys be camping or moteling?

Have fun.
  7. TheCowboy

TheCowboy back in the saddle again

Oddometer:
    Hey! are you one of the NW guys that got caught up in the Delta merger?

TheCowboy :ricky
  8. cmkaduce

Oddometer:
    We are leaving from St. Peter on July 5. I was up for camping, but my grandfather said forget that we are hoteling it, so hotels the whole way. Small price to pay for a trip like this.
  9. cmkaduce

Oddometer:
    Nope. I did transfer down to GA with my company, but not in the airline industry.
  10. Dan Man

Dan Man ex-adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cody, so fantastic this came together for you and your grandfather! I look forward to your updates. Ride safe, and dont go too fast :D

See ya back stateside one of these days.

-dan j
  11. cmkaduce

Oddometer:
    The ride from GA to MN went great. About 80% backroads. I put on 675 miles the first day and 600 the second. I didn't realize it at the time I put together the ride plan, but I was crossing a ferry in TN. It also just so happened that the town had a festival and closed all the streets as well. After stopping rolling around the road block signs and getting stopped the first time by festival security, I decided I would try my luck on the other side of town. I stopped at the road block signs and talked to one of the locals that said the ferry was just down the street. He said no one would mind if I rolled around it, I concurred and there I was full leathers, 102 degrees, GSXR 1000 rough idle down main street with 150 locals that look as though they have never seen anything like what they just witnessed. I make it through the crowd and my ferry chariot awaits. After paying the ferry guy $1, he takes me across the river. He talks to me and pokes fun at my bike in disbelief that I am on my way to AK, at least I think this is what he said as I could only understand about 1 in 5 words from this gentleman with the heavy southern accent.
    After this I am very thirsty and in the middle of nowhere. I am riding along and blow by this little shack thinking what was that. I turn around and see a hand-written "OPEN" sign. I flip the 1000 and head back for a closer look. Turns out this guy has a stand with fresh fruit he grows himself and drinks for the locals in the area. All the prices are marked and he has a wooden box that the locals deposit into on the honor system. I told them there weren't many places where you could do that anymore, and he proceeded to tell me that if anyone did steal anything, well, that is between them and the good lord. I can appreciate that.
    That night I stayed in St. Louis, MO, and ended up talking with the bartender for quite awhile over a couple of Guinness. Turns out her whole family rides so we were talking bikes and good local riding areas around MO. Great person, even made me dinner after she already closed the kitchen for the night!
    From MO to MN was pretty uneventful. I found a great road that ran along the Mississippi River for about 70 miles and went through several small towns. This was probably the highlight. It felt like IA took forever to ride through. I took some photos of the wind farms. There is something tranquil about watching them. The wind farms and the nice bartender that talked to me about all she knew about Mount Eagle in TN were the best parts. I had no idea Capone had his hideway in Mount Eagle during the prohibition days.
    My grandfather and I have had an excellent trip so far. We made it to Minot, ND the first night and had to ride through water across the roadway to get there. We went another 450 miles today and made it to Saskatoon after crossing the Canadian border at Portal. We had to ride across some pretty deep water about 30 miles into Canada today. The road was completely covered in water and they had construction workers taking traffic down to 1 lane. My grandfather and I made it through OK. The only bad part was my boots were soaked even after trying to keep them high, but what can I say, crossing 1 ft deep water on a sportbike isn't exactly an everyday occurence. Had a couple local Canadian beers tonight after the ride and am now just unwinding. Great trip so far and looking forward to tomorrow!
  12. cmkaduce

Oddometer:
    Ferry in TN near KY line.

Attached Files:

13. cmkaduce

Oddometer:
    Water across the road in Canada.

Attached Files:

14. cmkaduce

Oddometer:
    Wind farm.

Attached Files:

15. cmkaduce

Oddometer:
    Bridge over Mississippi.

Attached Files:

16. cmkaduce

Oddometer:
    Oil jacks in Canada.

Attached Files:

17. cmkaduce

Oddometer:
    The 1000 after water on the road.

Attached Files:

18. cmkaduce

Oddometer:
    1000 before water on road.

Attached Files:

19. Dan Man

Dan Man ex-adventurer

Oddometer:
    nice write up Cody!

I want a photo of you sporting full leathers in the 100 degree heat.
  20. Dazn

Dazn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice! do you saddlebags always touch your exhaust like that or was it just loose?

Looks awesome so far dude! keep it up!