Professional Shipper, Trailering My Bike on CENTER STAND.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Barnstorm, Jul 28, 2014.

1. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. Barnstorm

Barnstorm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you bracky, this is the kind of material I am looking for.

If only we could find some from a manufacturer.

3. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Google "uship shipper". UShip looks to be a business that connects people who want things shipped and people who can ship.

One link from Google:

http://uship.pissedconsumer.com/uship-shippers-learn-the-tricks-20120122291057.html

Read the fine print on the shipping contract. See if they can legally employ out-of-work Nigerian 419's to ship stuff. Seriously, see what UShip's responsibility is.

--Bill
  4. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have him flip it over that way the center stand and forks have no pressure on them. Just the seat and bars will.:rofl
  5. Barnstorm

Barnstorm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually, the shipper is quite nice and has a 5/5 star rating with several hundred reviews over the past few years.

I am quite aware what UShip does, myself and others I know have used them a number of times, I did not elaborate on that as it was distracting from the topic and might confuse people as to my questions.

UShip, the shipper and myself all have insurance to cover the shipment.

I had hoped this thread would flush out some technical information about trailering bikes.

While I can see some anecdotal posts that agree with my experience and some comforting posts that think a centerstand is "ok" so far we have only one post that brings in authoritative documentation, but it is from a dealer not a manufacturer.

6. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    I definitely wouldn't transport a bike on its side stand, but it being on a center stand wouldn't bother me much. Of course, if I were a "professional" bike shipper, I'd definitely have a trailer with a wheel chock in it so I could just strap the bike down and let the bike's suspension absorb some of the bumps, too.

You're probably fine either way. Worst case scenario if he ties it down the way you want is blown fork seals (extremely unlikely IMO), and that's not all that much liability to assume.
  7. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have always been told and transport my bikes with the stands up using the suspension to put tension on the straps. A buddy was helping me tie my bikes down in my trailer and started cranking the bike down with the side stand out....when I pointed it out he said that's how you do it....(one of the guys that knows everything or thinks he does) Since it was my beater KLR I figured I'd let him try.....needless to say before he about snapped the side stand off trying to cinch up the straps I stopped him and had it done right. I have transported several bikes long distance this way and never had an issue.

To the OP...if you're okay with his methods then let it go...
  8. dasrider

dasrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So the shipper has not shipped the bike yet?

This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't want a bike of mine shipped on the sidestand or centerstand if it had one. I would not want every giant pot hole the guy accidentally runs over to deliver that energy straight into my bike frame. I admit the chances of catastrophic frame failure are probably low, but if he's giving you the option to put it on the suspension, well that's what I would request.

I would much rather take a chance to have to replace $30 worth of fork seals versus my bike receiving seen or unseen frame damage. Of course I have no documentation to back this up other than what would make me feel better at night.

- Also +1 to never having a fork seal blow from being strapped down. As long as you don't go too crazy strapping it down, it won't be an issue.
  9. ZiaThunder

ZiaThunder Go big or go home

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised they still tie bikes down, with all the strapless stands for shipping that are available. Not to mention wheel chocks that will hold the bikes with minimal straps. Far easier to load and much more scecure.

Beside, who would listen to someone from a H-D dealership? Esp, about center stands. :huh
  10. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The method I posted above on a telelever front equipped bike does not actually compress the shock. So no leaking seals to worry about.
  11. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    Being in the transportation industry, many things will come into play. Namely what's left hanging or what's left unsupported. Trucks bounce a lot going down the road. And hard too. Normal consumers wouldn't tolerate the ride we have. I'd assume he's using the center stand so be can tie off easier without the bike being tilted or falling over. Many drivers work alone. If I were shipping,I'd use the center stand and block the front and rear if possible and tie off the bars. Typically the more points of support you have,the less damage and risk of bends or failures. But you also run the risks of wear from your tie downs from the freight moving. Take your pick where you want the risk of damage. I'd go for bars and rims myself. But the constant pressure could blow the seals. There ain't no easy way to transport one short of recrating it in a factory crate.
  12. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    Their brokers. Nothing more than middlemen. You call them,they post the load or call a freight carrier to get a reduced rate. Google C.H. Robinson. They make millions literally doing none of the work. People call them and they can get loads. It's nothing more than an organizer for freight. Typically,you can save calling a few companies. I called ups to ship a motor 425 miles, $775. A couple others were about 425-450. Finally called ABF and got $205. Freight quote and ch wanted 350ish. You can always find cheaper than them. Just make sure your shipper and broker know what's being shipped and the limitations of it. Some carriers love to double and triple stack palettes.
  13. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    Not unless you do what Allied does - use a purpose made pallet. Incidentally, tying forks down will NOT blow seals. I've been tying bikes down for forty years and never have had that happen. Tying bikes down on center or side stands can fracture frame lugs, requiring replacement of a frame. Don't do it. The bike will ride just fine on its own suspension system.
  14. RedShark

RedShark Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still want the guy to show me a Harley on it's center stand.

Just one.

Only thing I can think of (aside from him being a complete lying fool) is that he thinks the side-stand IS the center-stand - a non-motorcyclist may not know that many bikes used to have 2 stands, as so many no longer have center stands.

I have to keep reminding myself not to attribute to malice that which can be explained by simple ignorance.
  15. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not on my R1150R. When on the center stand the front wheel is off the floor and the rear almost is. It just about balances on the center stand.
  16. Barnstorm

Barnstorm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bike arrived this morning in GREAT shape, no problems.

I spoke with the driver for a little while before I had to go to work.

In the future he is going to give owners the option on how they want the bike tied-down and I gave him my extra pair of soft-ties.

Attached Files:

17. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    I don't know diddly about UShip, having not had the need. Googling "uship shipper" brought up a number of negative comments, which raised a flag with me.

Glad that your shipment worked out.

--Bill
  18. Barnstorm

Barnstorm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As previously posted, UShip just connects people with shippers to save you leg work. You set the price you want and shippers bid on it.

As with any system if you are CHEAP and go with a bottom of the barrel bid, you might just get what you pay for.

Each shipper has feedback records that are complete and very detailed. Ratings and price go hand in hand.

It CAN save you some money and time over calling shippers individually, but the service is not for everyone.

I am a little disappointed that I (and apparently everyone that read this tread) was unable to locate any "official" manufacturer documentation on shipping bikes. Through we did get one very good post with a BMW dealers document.

19. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to see that your bike made it to you in fine shape!

I don't know that there is only one official way to transport a bike. In fact I doubt there is. I've seen systems that lock the front wheel down using a rod thru the axle. I've seen systems that lock the bike down using the foot pegs. I've seen "fork Savers" used on dirt bikes to limit the downward travel of the fork when cinching the bike down with straps. I've personally always used tie-down straps, sometimes with a front wheel chock as well.

I feel there are some issues with just using straps against the suspension. They are convenient and flexible but they are not fool proof. Especially if large and harsh bumps are encountered (As mentioned above, cargo trailers and high capacity trucks bounce HARD compared to a regular passenger truck unless it's loaded to near max capacity)

The biggest issue I have using straps to compress the suspension is that while the give that is left in the suspension may help protect hard parts during a hard bounce it also allows the straps to go slack at the same moment. If the ends of the straps are hooks they can come off at that moment, and bad things happen. I feel there is always a small question of "How tight do I need to make these straps for the trip I'm taking today" I don't want to fully compress the suspension yet I want them tight enough that I don't have a hard bounce cause a strap to come loose either.

One rider I know uses a pretty neat process. He straps the bike down and compresses the suspension a bit, then uses an elastic shock cord attached to the ends of each strap at the hooks base so that if the bike does bounce and compress the suspension the shock cord keeps pressure on the hooks to keep them from popping off.
  20. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go to a dealership and ask to peek inside a couple crates? :dunno

I know I bought my Aprilia from (dealer in Idaho that shall go nameless) and after prepping it, they strapped it back into the crate so tight they bent the handlebars... but the forks have never leaked.
    glittleman likes this.