New Honda 1200 V4 CrossTourer!!!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Two Plugs, Nov 2, 2010.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    when he said Honda was we referring to corporate as in brand new models or just Honda NA referring to new models now being sold in the US?

if it's brand new models, the updated ST/Pan euro is to be built on this same platform so that could be 1 of them.
  2. 3B43

3B43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine owns a m/c shop...Kawasaki & Susuki. I was lusting for a new bike and the only one that wetted my lust was the Ducati MTS. I told him that if one of the 4 major company's made something I wanted, I'd buy it...a MTS 'clone', but a GSXR/R1/etc. A R1, with hard bags/ up right riding position/etc would be a GREAT bike, but they won't build if, or if they do, it'll be 2-3 yrs too late. He said 'they' don't do things that way and take years to introduce something new.
  3. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Yamaha's been building it for years, it's called the FZ-1.
  4. Lu

Lu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Honda US, he knew about the releases last month as we were talking about the CB1100. In addition, he did mentioned about the upcoming update to the ST1300.
  5. 3B43

3B43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had an '08 FZ1 and put 25000 miles on it in 2.5 yrs, but it does not have when suspension, brakes AND motor of an R1! I put an Ohlin on the rear, Givi V35's + a host of other changes. It's a hell'eva bike for the $$$, but.....I'd be happy to pay the extra $$$ for the up grade in brakes/suspension and motor. I sold it 4 months ago, to a good friend of mine, and bought the bike I'd been lusting for....a Ducati MTS!
  6. twinrider

Oddometer:
    A couple friends of mine who own FZ1s just bought those parts from wrecked R1s and swapped them in.
  7. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook 'em Horns! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Honda should bring in an ST with the 1200 VFR motor and the DCT transmission. They have already reduced the ridiculous amount of cruiser models.

But yes, the CrossTourer should be imported here...
  8. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...the VFR1200 T.

Just put some taller bars and screen and lower foot pegs and bigger fuel tank on the VFR1200F and viola!!!!

I'd buy one in a nano-second.
  9. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    MR T.

[​IMG]

Geez that pic is BIG :huh
  10. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Oh man! That is frickin sweet!
    There are a lot of fantastic models coming out and this would really stress me out....
  11. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The silly thing is that of the three bikes they have tried to build around that 1200 engine, it is this one ^^^ that makes most sense.

The motor is clearly too heavy to power a sport bike or an adventure tourer. Both are nice in their way but their performance envelope doesn't really match their appearance and ergos.

The version above could be no heavier than class rivals, with exceptional durability, low maintenance, plenty of poke and some character.

Not everybody wants 1650cc and six cylinders.
  12. twinrider

Oddometer:
    When you consider that most people, myself included, buy adventure tourers for their looks, comfort and prowess on bumpy back roads, the CT fits the bill fine.

It was on my short-list but Honda saw fit to not offer a single demo in the country where it's built! :norton
  13. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    They were going to release that one first but some doofus convinced than that a sports Tourer was the thing to do.

Then someone changed their minds and decided that the Adventure Tourer was the way to go.

Then .......

Anyway an Adventure Tourer is a Tourer that can take a bit or a lot of crap. Luckily we have a good spread of options with different compromises from different manufacturers. The Honda just happens to be more Tour and Less Adventure than some others. The KTM is on the other end. Most people would be wasted on a KTM regardless what they think and they Honda makes more sense. Unless you just want people to think you are rugged and take trips down vertical cliffs on a regular basis.

But that is image not substance. The bike is what it is. You pays your money...It should suit a lot of people in reality.
  14. Two Plugs

Two Plugs Born to be blunt Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have gathered the Crosstourer works notwithstanding the weight.

Has a lot going for it. I like it. And especially for riders who will be mainly on tarmac and never on anything soft. Which is most of them.

Nevertheless, it is IIRC the heaviest adventure tourer out there, with the shortest-travel suspension.

It represents one extreme of the category, on the weight (and in its case, suspension) scale.

As does the VFR1200F.

Whereas the T version pictured might not.
  16. ishmac

ishmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    wOw, that VFR-1200-T looks beautiful, is this a Honda concept machine or is it going ahead for 2013/14 etc..? Suppose it'll replace the ageing Pan European motorcycle.

Beautiful indeed!!
  17. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honda should run security for the CIA...nobody has a clue what Big Red is doing?
  18. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook 'em Horns! Supporter

Oddometer:
    well while the rest of the world manufacturers produce bikes with Monster motors, Honda keeps releasing a PLETHORA of mid sized motor bikes for the USA... who is buying all these 500 and 700cc engined bikes? very confusing...
  19. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)

The new Honda 500's aren't at dealers yet, but my local dealer has sold every NC700X he could get from Honda. He was able to get a couple more from other dealers to meet his customer requests.
  20. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    The VFR1200T is, indeed, very old news, but still might be coming.

Supposedly the picture was developed from some Honda patent applications line drawings which first surfaced in 2009. The patent was for including some kind of crushable structure on the front of a motorcycle to reduce crash impact loads for riders - thus, the jutting lower jaw below the headlight.

For awhile, it was supposed that Honda was planning on imminent release of the 1200T, but when it didn't appear, it was assumed Honda has juggled the release dates to get the 1200F and 1200X out first. But this is all rumor, no one really knows.

Bottom line: It might or might not appear, it might or might not look like this picture, and might or might replace the ST1300.

- Mark