Help me decide between an XR650L and a 500exc

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bhart89, Oct 4, 2014.

1. tskellham

tskellham n00b

Oddometer:
    I'd stay away from both the XR and EXC if you actually plan on 2up riding. I've got a XRL and have a hard time riding 2up. Just not enough room to do it comfortably. Keep your 650R for off road and maybe look at a V-Strom or something similar for street and light off road duties.
  2. ZJeepMI

ZJeepMI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My girlfriend and I were more comfortable two up on my old TW200 than we are on my current XR650L. The XR just isn't roomy enough for two people, I would definitely look for a different bike. I'm in pain after 20 minutes or so, and i'm a reasonably fit 21 year old. But maybe I'm just a sissy :rofl
  3. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:

I think it really depends on both of your body types. I'm 6'2" and an athletic 165 (read scrawny). The last girlfriend was 6' and really lean, two up with her wasn't the best but doable on my XR650L. The one before that was was 5'9" 120 and it was easy with her. Did a 100 mile ride to the coast and back.

I may ride a little fast and someday it may catch up and bite me in the ass but maybe not if I give it just a little more gas.
  4. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    For those that mentioned a TE610... I'm only 150 lbs and my gf is about 120 lbs. With her on the back, I had to sit so far forward that it was hard to shift! I cannot imagine someone that much bigger than me riding 2up on a 610.
    Yeah, you could ride a few miles. But, if you are going out for a ride, it's not going to be fun for anyone.
  5. lolpetewtf

lolpetewtf Banned

Oddometer:
    you're a big guy. 690 all the way.
  6. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    Just to recap...:deal

7. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the 690. Do not get the XR650L. Anemic power. I had one and never liked it. I had a 690 and sold it and got a 500EXC for a better dirt bike. It is GREAT, but no way could you do two up on it. The 690 is a very powerful, fairly light dual sport bike. The 500 really is a race bike with lights.
  8. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another 690 vote here too. :deal

The 500 is just :norton a dirt bike with a street plate. The XRL is a dinosaur with a plate. Weak subframe, funky ergos, crap transmission ratios, prone to overheating, weak electrics, am I forgetting anything? (And, yes, I did own one and was completely underwhelmed) :knary
  9. Rustycage

Rustycage Banned

Oddometer:
    Keep what you have, add a cheap roadbike for the five times your wife will actually go. Anybike can be ridden down a dirt road.
  10. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  11. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dinosaur yes. Weak sub frame yes easy fix though. Funky ergos I would say that depends on your body type and like everyother bike can be changed to fit. Trans is fine, with the NX 5th and 2nd it's about perfect but even stock I could blast down a private closed coarse at 95:evil. Overheating not really XR600 was run hard in baja for a long time with no problems (basically the same bike), if you're really worried about it get and oil cooler. Weak electronics, the CDI is a known problem but not that big of one. Mines on 32k miles and a member here will fix them fairly cheap better than new. What you're forgetting is trash suspension and overweight. I would also say a little under powered.

It's still my favorite cheap option for dual sporting. It's better in the dirt than the DR and the KLR but a bullet in the head is better than a KLR. :D

For people with money the 690 is a vastly superior bike in just about everyway.
  12. DesertMutt

DesertMutt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The difference between the 650L and the 500 exc and husky fe501 are leaps and bounds. 100 pound weight difference and twice the ponies. I sold my L and got a 501. Best choice I've ever made. Not so sure I'd ride with a passenger with the Ktm though. Just not designed for it. The power and snap that motor delivers you'll be doing accidental wheelies all the time. Hate to loop out with a passenger. Although if it's a must a company called cross plus makes some easy on and off passenger pegs just for that application.

Attached Files:

13. Thatdog

Thatdog Hickster

Oddometer:
    Way to dig up a 2yr old thread and throw your $.02 at it :thumb
  14. DesertMutt

DesertMutt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sadly I noticed that right after I commented Hey it was releivant 2 years ago and that's good enough for me lol
  15. Thatdog

Thatdog Hickster

Oddometer:
    Good way to build up that post count if anything :freaky
  16. DesertMutt

DesertMutt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lol3That's what I get for commenting on random things during a search