1190R + Offroad Wheels?

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by PS-RagE, Aug 14, 2013.

1. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I was saying in the other thread before Tancakar [​IMG] came along:

I'm seriously considering replacing my '04 950 with an 1190R next year. Do you think my offroad Woody's Wheels are going to swap over OK? They are a 1.6" A60 up front and a 2.5" rear with 606/908 tires. Maybe with new spacers?

Allow me to add to this that I basically ride my 950 as though it was a big dirt bike and I imagine the 1190 will see the same. I intend to keep the original wheels for touring.

2. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the rear hub is the same, but the front is different. It is not something I have found out myself, but I'm quite sure I've read it on the internet!
  3. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you asked Woodie, I suspect he's investigate the options available...
  4. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are not sure yet either. I was hoping one of our European riders might have made the switch.
  5. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    Found this on the SA forum:

The 1190 R comes with tubeless tyres. I cannot live with this idea, it had to change. So, we had to make a plan. Long story short: Rear wheel consists of 990 hub, spokes, rim and 1190 ABS sensor and brake disc. Front wheel: 1190 hub, 950SE spokes and front rim, 1190 discs and ABS ring. (1.85" DID Dirt star)

What we learned from the other (and far more interesting :lol3) thread was that Joe Pichler used the front 1190 hub too so it looks like your front won't fit. Not familiar with woody's, maybe you just need the hub?
  6. PPiA

PPiA Pete

Oddometer:
    I have also asked the question to Woodies. They were going to try and find out.
    The info above would probably help them.
  7. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Interesting that the front wouldn't fit....

In all likelihood it will be easy enough to adapt the old wheel with a set of custom axle and disc spacers? With the wide radial calipers more clearance is needed so probably the triples and hub are wider. I doubt the disc bolt pattern has changed, it's been the same on every 125cc+ KTM made in the last 20 years.

KTM even has a front disc spacer that could used, they put it on the LC4 SMs with the fat gold 4 piston Brembo caliper. 210mm width fork spacing on those bikes vs. 190mm for most other KTMs incl. 950/990.
  8. Yascher

Yascher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    990 and 1190 wheels are not fully compatible.

1- the hubs itself will fit just fine on the axels and have exact same width,
    BUT

2-the fitting diameter foir the brake discs is wider, therefore you can noit switch brakes between the 2 as the hubs/discs are different in dia 310/320 and have different fitting diameter, therefore custom drilling for the disks or adaptors will be required

if this is not a problem-then it is almost staright fit, once adaptors are made
  9. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...and no Cush Hub.
  10. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Why would anyone want to replace the wheels? They are perfectly fine.:amazon You must not know anything about off road. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

:hide
  11. Toors

Toors Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 990 or equivalent rear wheel fits - in the front you have to use the 1190 hub and then fit new spokes and the 990 rim.

We (in South Africa) have been having a number of problems with bending the front rims - they seem to be to soft for aggressive off-road riding and getting an instant flat on the tubeless tyres is a hair raising experience, so, me for one, will be going back to tubed, narrower and stronger rims - just waiting for the yanks to get their 1190's (and get their ducks in a row) so that I can order some nice heavy duty excel ones with blue hubs and blue rims with orange spoke nipples:wink: form KTMTwins
  12. Toors

Toors Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the rubber that I have fitted:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Baronsamedi

Baronsamedi Mr. Flippin' Happy

Oddometer:
    I'm in agreement with South Africa. I've had issues with bending of the front rim on my 2013 1190r on rough terrain. Pulling wheels, tires and knocking back the sides of the rim out in the middle of BFE is no fun.

I've looked for Excel rims but can't find a direct fitment yet. What was the overall best solution for this? I don't wan to retrofit a 990 wheel on the front, but would rather find a suitable replacement wheel or at least rim.

BTW - I've had this 1190R for a year now and absolutely love it. Very capable on and off road. Just need to work out the niggles like the soft front rim.. And yes, this is my post #1 on this forum.

Cheers, Don A.
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
  14. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Woody's accepted my order for a set last week. 1.6" A60 front and 2.5" Takasago rear with billet hubs. They'll be the first set out-the-door for the 1190 :clap
  15. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    Has hubs in the works. Rear is very close to the 990 but the front hub is a different animal. I believe woodys uses rad hubs for the builds ( other than the BMW hubs they make) Rad is about a month out for the hubs. Might have to swing down there and ask what they are doing.

Please hold
  16. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    The hubs are a month out
  17. wsmc99

wsmc99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It doesn't matter kids, they will bend anyhow.

F=ma, it's the law.

The M is too big on these bikes. Ask me how I know! :D
  18. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps, but a narrow, tubed wheel will take a lot more of a beating than a wide tubeless.

Besides, I want my Dunlops!
  19. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    And a 2.5 for dirt over the stock set up any day. Will keep the stock wheels for road work
  20. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wheels from Woody's ship today! :clap I've got a 908 and a 606 waiting for them .....