Battery options for 2012 GSA with ABS and ESA

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Chip Stevens, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Chip Stevens

Chip Stevens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2012 GSA needs a new battery. From years of experience with Odyssey I am partial to their batteries. As most of you know the GSA for the years 08-09 and 10+ uses a smaller battery then the other GSs and GSAs. On thes forum I have read of people putting a PC535 in a GSA with fin modifications. These posts don't indicate if the GSA had ESA or not. My question is will a PC535 fit in a 2012 GSA that has ESA?
    Those of you that have experience with the Odyssey PC535 and the Braille B14115 how would you compair the two? If the Braille is about the same as the Odyssey it would be nice because it looks like a drop in with no modifications. chip
  2. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Why not get a new one under warranty? Mine shit the bed after a year and was just replaced.
  3. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'd be curious to hear how/why it failed?
  4. Chip Stevens

Oddometer:
    The origonal battery lasted about 9 months. It will no longer take a full charge and as a result spins the moter slow. If I had not been able to ride for a week I would put it on a battery tender plus until it shows a full charge then take it off the charger. It would usually top off in a hour or two. As for the warranty, if the BMW battery isn't good why would I want another one? It might save me a few dollars and it wight leave me where it would cost me a lot more then a battery. chip
  5. Bill-66

Bill-66 The End of the Republic is upon us... Supporter

Oddometer:
    All three of mine have ate their batteries in less than a year..all have been replaced with Interstate AGM, with great results..not lighter, nor cool sounding but solid performance.
  6. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Well at least get it replaced and save it to sell, give to a friend or a backup. No sense in throwing away a free battery.
  7. BigDaveSr

BigDaveSr It’s All Good

Oddometer:
    I just installed a Full Spectrum P2 lithium Ion in mine. Running the same battery in my ZX-14 and have had excellent luck with it!
  8. SkiFly01

SkiFly01 Florida Man

Oddometer:
    I went lithium, Braille G9
    [​IMG]
  9. sunlinden

sunlinden David

Oddometer:
    early 2008 GS and still on original battery for 5 1/2 yrs, so some do last. I use a standard low voltage charger (2 amp) and hook it directly to the battery and fully charged throughout the winter.
  10. ghostryder

ghostryder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put a Braille in my GS and loved it. Just picked up a 12 and can definitely notice the difference. Going to order one soon to replace the OEM battery.
  11. kaosrider

kaosrider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it is time for me to replace my original battery. I have a 2007 GS :evil, it still works but is starting to struggle. These lithium look like the way to go.

Thanks,
  12. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Somewhere I heard that lithium batteries don't function as well in cold. Any truth to that? I ride till the ice builds up, which this year meant I was riding into the high single digits above zero.

My 2010 is harder to start below 32F than my 2007. Not sure I want to add a cold-phobic battery to the mix...
  13. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know how the Shorai lithium batteries do in the camheads?

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,... Is he still wrong?

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. BigDaveSr

BigDaveSr It’s All Good

Oddometer:

I was told to cycle the key on and off two or three times before starting on exceptionally cold days and there would be no problem. I have started my ZX-14 on 15 degree days and never had an issue. Hasn't gotten that cold yet with the new one in my GSA so not sure if there will be an issue or not.
  15. WindSailor

WindSailor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I am riding a 2010 GSA with ESA, none of the Odyssey's fit even with modification. I do have a Shorai in it now, it's ok in the summer but I live in NE Wisconsin and the cold weather plays hell with it (and any other lithium ion battery), I have to turn my lights on so drain and warm the battery then it will start, but the voltage drop is probably playing hell with the starter. If it is less than 15 degrees in the morning I throw the charger on it for a half hour before I leave for work, but you have to hope it is going to be at least 20 degrees in the parking lot so it will start after work.
  17. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Thank you, this is good info!
  18. Chip Stevens

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the threads. I enjoyed them a lot. chip
  19. Chip Stevens

Oddometer:
    Iron Ray, Thanks that is good information. My GSA is 2012. I think it is the same as yours. chip
  20. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    :nod Yep.