Big Great Lakes Loop

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be heading out on July 5 to make a big loop of (most of) the Great Lakes starting just outside Memphis, TN. Originally the plan was just to ride up to visit family in Minnesota, but then I thought I ought to go see my friend outside Toronto. And then I though I should see Wheels Through Time. And then shouldn't I see what's north of Lake Superior too?

I came up with the following general route. (Note, these aren't the exact roads I plan to take, just what Google suggested when I put in my planned stops.

[​IMG]

One goal of this trip is to meet up with other ADVriders. I've already made plans to Tent Space in three different places, and possibly a fourth. Hopefully I can arrange to meet others and maybe ride together for a bit.

I'll be posting a Spotwalla tracking map, occasional updates from the road, and then a full ride report when I return.

If you're located along my route, get in touch with me. PM here or call/text 901-237-1007.

Jamie
  2. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did part of what you are doing last year..
    Just wanted to throw this out.. I crossed into Canada at Kingston, Ontario. The ferry takes you over to Wolf Island.
    There is a yoga retreat on the east end of the island. They let me set up the tent there, and cook dinner down by the lake.
    They have a great place to swim. Then you take another ferry over the next morning to Kingston.
    It was just a cool spot.
    Also, if you are running this counter clockwise (I did) get a campsite before you get to Thunder Bay. I couldn't find a campground in Thunder Bay, or south of there. I ended up on the shore of Superior back in the US after a really long day on the bike. I wish I would have stopped before Thurnder Bay..
    I'll be following along. Have a great trip.
    You've got a place to Stay here in St Louis if you need it.
  3. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Heading out shortly. You can follow my Spotwalla page. I'm using Google Latitude on my phone, so don't be alarmed if there are long stretches without an update. If I don't have a cell signal, it doesn't work.

<iframe src='http://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=4dfe4ff32df1eb730&width=800&height=1000&scale=on&zoom=default&refresh=no' width='780' height='980' scrolling='auto' frameborder='0'>Embedding failed because inline frames are not supported by your browser or the web server.</iframe>

http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=4dfe4ff32df1eb730

Jamie
  4. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. malibu_dan

malibu_dan Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer:

If you need a couch to crash on, you can stay at our place, Jamie... :rofl
    Jamie Z likes this.
  6. Cogswell

Cogswell Road General

Oddometer:
    Holler if you're coming through Knoxville on the return leg. :ear

I'll be following along from here.:clap

Mike
  7. Steez

Steez Prior USMC Infantry

Oddometer:
    Well, seeing as the Memphis and Knoxville brothers gave the invite, you're more than welcome to stay in Chattanooga!

Also, how long are you planning on this trip to take? Seems like a legit ride!
    Jamie Z likes this.
  8. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Rough day 1 to this month-long ride owing mostly to some poor planning on my part and non-cooperative weather.

I stayed at Party Boss' place near Hot Springs, NC. Wheels Through Time museum today.

Jamie
  9. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Stayed with Treestrom and his wife a couple night ago. Camped last night after traversing a gnarly road.

Today:

[​IMG]

Locals have been really friendly. A lot of people come up and ask me about my bike or where I'm from.

A bit behind "schedule," not feeling 100%. Not sure what it is, but I'm not sleeping well and feel drained during the day. Kinda like mild flu symptoms.

Jamie
  10. Jigo

Jigo Westbound

Oddometer:
    I hope all's going well. It's been a while since your last update. Safe travels.
  11. malibu_dan

malibu_dan Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer:
    According to your Spotwalla, Jamie, it looks like you're almost going to see your first Great Lake on your Great Lakes Loop!

Hope all is smooth and sunny! :ricky
  12. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    so stop for a day, take a nice hot shower and a nap and tell us what you've seen and show us some pictures. Less ridin, more reportin :D
    Jamie Z likes this.
  13. PeakAnarchy

PeakAnarchy n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like you might be close to Port Dover Ontario this Friday the 13th. Should be close to 15000 bikes and an insanely busy little town.
  14. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I'll be crossing into Canada today. Don't be alarmed when my Spotwalla position stops at the border. I don't have a foreign data plan.

Stopped to see a couple touristy things yesterday. Had a lot of rain the night before. Bike gave me some electrical trouble. Seems to have gone away on its own.

Stayed last night with a friend who moved to Jamestown from Memphis a few years ago. Tonight I'll be staying with a friend of Tiffany Coates in Toronto and then after that I'll be hanging out with a couple guys I met last year during my visit to Big Bend.

I've been moving somewhat of a rushed pace, but in Canada I'm not on such a schedule, so I should be able to stop for more pictures and hopefully meet more people.

Jamie
  15. Tiffany

Tiffany Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer:
    Hey Jamie
    Great to see you're out on the road, though going in the wrong direction for me. I couldn't help noticing that after almost three months of bike travel in the West, that as soon as I headed into the South and got within 300 miles of your house, you legged it out east:D

Not sure whether to take it personally or not!
    Have a great trip and say hello to Donnaleen, hopefully her leg has healed since her last ride with me:huh

Are you sure the Canadians will even let you in?
  16. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Don't be alarmed when my Spotwalla position stops at the Canadian border. I don't have a Canadian data plan on my phone, so no Latitude. It should be back live when I cross back into the US.

I'll tell her hello for you.

I guess we'll find out if they'll let me in shortly. I'm headed for the border in probably less than an hour.

Jamie
  17. camgregus

camgregus riding gently now Supporter

Oddometer:
    on the banks of the mighty mississippi, AR side
  18. Tiffany

Tiffany Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer:
    Jamie
    I heard these guys were looking for you

[​IMG]
  19. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Made it to Toronto. Staying with Tiffany's family friends here. Enjoyed a great steak dinner, and now a glass of scotch.

[​IMG]

Jamie
  20. Jamie Z

Oddometer: