New Sena 20S Intercom announced at AIMExpo

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by El Gato, Oct 21, 2013.

1. ADVMAC

ADVMAC Handsome adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is my thinking also . must get some tunes as FM reception is awful . Do you guys get good Radio ?
  2. jclifton

jclifton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spent the day, just over 8 hours and 400 miles, using the 20S paired with a Garmin 590LM and an iPhone 4. Had complete control of music from the iPhone and mp3s on the micro sd card, phone calls and spoken navigation worked correctly.

I have removed the speakers from my helmet and added a set sound isolating earbuds and wow what a difference that makes. With the speakers I was getting some distortion as well as some snap, crackle and popping. The distortion and noise I’m sure was from having the volume so high to overcome wind noise and ear plugs.

With the buds I enjoyed clear calls and a surprisingly good quality audio.
    Battery wasn't an issue with. I had 8 hours 14 minutes of drive time with the 20S either supplying directions, calling or audio streaming.

This is my first communication system and overall I’m very impressed.

Jason
  3. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    long story short, the sena doesn't work for me. i have to wear special ear plugs due to ear injury, after playing around with it in my house its a no go.

so anyone local to calgary/cochrane want a brand new in box 20s single pack. $260cad collected.
  4. Aaen

Aaen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why don't you just stop in at T-mobile, cingular or wherever w once you cross the border and get a data card for an ipad. Pay for one month of unlimited data, then pop that sucker into your iphone. I do it regularly and use skype for making phone call's, etc.

If I was in Calgary, instead of northern BC at the moment, I would give you my sim card and put the month on for you, then you wouldn't have to stop at all when you crossed the border. Then you can stream pandora or hype machine too your hearts content, use the navigation apps on the iphone. Oh and you should be able to make skype calls while riding if you need to, you may need to add on a north american plan to your skype acct for calling phones though.

regards

Steve

5. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    don't you have to jailbreak the phone to get it to accept other networks sim cards?

it doesn't matter anyway, the sena doesn't work for me anyway. i have to stick with my special ear plugs.
  6. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, you don't need to jailbreak, but you do need an unlocked phone. Your carrier will unlock your existing phone for <$50.
  7. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    i thought they'd only do that once the contract is up?

ill look into it. thank you. unlimited data in the isa would be helpful. we go there quite a lot.
  8. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know Rogers and TELUS will do it while still under contract. Not sure about the others...
  9. SMURPH

SMURPH Still learning

Oddometer:

I just finished removing the speakers, taping off the port and will try it out tomorrow using my custom ear monitors. I sure hope that static is gone. It's annoying.

I too have the 590lm and may load up an msd card with tunes and see how that works.
  10. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    What brand sound isolating earbuds are you using that fit under your helmet?
  11. jclifton

jclifton Adventurer

Oddometer:

I went with the Shure SE425. This was my second set of Shures and was confident the sound quality was going to be decent. What I liked about the SE425s was the body of the bud turns at a 90 degrees and tucks inside of your ear making getting the helmet on and off easier. With the wire wrapping over the top of my ear I did not have any issues getting my helmet on and keeping my buds in place.

I used the triple flange silicon tips and they were all day long comfortable for me. The other alternative are the Sensaphonics custom sleeves for the SE425s. I would love to talk to someone who has got them to see how much more comfortable they might be over the standard sleeves.

Jason
  12. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Etymotic Er6i - the best I've found, but they don't make them anymore.

Google "site:www.advrider.com earbuds" and you get more opinions than you can handle on this topic.
  13. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick replies on the ear buds, I'll check out the link. Does the "sound isolating" restrict ambient sound so much as to make them dangerous for use in riding with them?
  14. jclifton

jclifton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't believe so but opinions may vary. I can still here my KLR's engine and very slight wind noise from my Aria XD4 helmet.

I really didn't think I was going to like riding with ear buds but the ability to match music with my mood and environment was awesome. Or maybe yesterdays weather here in Missouri was just so spectacular that everything was coming up roses :)

Jason
  15. SMURPH

SMURPH Still learning

Oddometer:
    I went with the Shure SE215 - mainly for price. I didn't want to invest too much in a set of earbuds....'in ear monitors' :D if they weren't going to work well.

For $99, I think i've found earbud nirvana. Exceptional build quality and music quality - at least for a helmet. I've used them at home and they were so good I couldn't hear my wife yelling at me. :clap

I'll never use another set of regular earbuds again.
  16. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Not if your music is off. If you turn the music up loud enough, though, you won't even be able to hear a siren right behind you.
  17. jclifton

jclifton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you did turn them up that far, so as not to be able to hear a siren (or your wife), you would probably damage your hearing eventually.

Jason
  18. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    That depends on how good the noise attenuation of the ear mold is. My claim to give 33dB attenuation. If i'm moving, so there's also some wind noise, and I have my music loud (but not THAT loud), I have been caught by surprise before by a siren.
  19. SMURPH

SMURPH Still learning

Oddometer:
    The whole point of noise-cancelling ear monitors is to cancel out noise so that you DON'T have to turn the volume up. My hearing is just fine.
  20. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    This may rain on the 20S parade.

I was planning to replace my SMH10 with an 20S to enable use of my Zumo 665 with my iPhone5 for media and phone, & etc. I do not need the increased intercom connections. However, the Zumo 590 reached me before the 20S, and I've found the 590 handles all the simultaneous bluetooth connections that I'd hoped from the 20S, and so much more. Now, the SMH10 works great, and given how the 590 interacts with iPhone apps, I'd rather have the 590 call the shots on Bluetooth connections, not an earphone. Therefore, if you're planning to upgrade your Zumo, you might want to invest the 20S money in the 590 first.

Fred