2008 KTM 690 Enduro stalling / no start AND cannisterectomy help please

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by alongat, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Ontario GS

Ontario GS Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer:
    I got left "high & dry" 2/3's the way through the Upper Michigan Peninsula Adventure Trail, rented a U-Haul to get it to the border and my wife drove 8 hours to pick me up with the trailer. New pump's on the bench, slowly dismantling the bike to replace the pump with a CA Cycleworks pump. Plan in replace all the internal lines and install an external filter rather than internal.
  2. Trekker3

Trekker3 n00b

Oddometer:
    New to this forum, joined today after researching problems with my KTM 690, had stalling and restarting problems when hot. I had to wait over 4 hours for it to cool down enough for it to restart.
    The bike is at my local KTM dealer for a service and for them to plug in and see what fault codes are.
    I've mentioned the fuel pump problem and their reply was that they had never had to swap one yet, will ring tomorrow to press the point again, will be interesting to see what they find.
  3. Ontario GS

Oddometer:
    Three things, when I phoned Orange Motorsports in Port Hope, they said that they had worked on a 690 and couldn't re-create the symptoms the owner was experiencing and had passed it onto KTM Canada to solve. In the conversation, I believe he indicated KTM had been having problems with fuel injected off-road bikes as well. Second point, after my bike kactted in Michigan, Iron Mountain Powersports Honda contacted the Green Bay, Wi. dealer on my behalf who intern apparently contacted KTM USA, who's only suggestion was to check all the electrical connections at the computer. Finally, where I got home, I read on one of the forums that KTM USA had recently acknowledged this fuel pump issue for what it's worth.

Both Husaberg's and Husky's are using the same pump and are experiencing problems as well. Spent my lunch hour reading a documented change over on a Husky TE250 which, I'm the happy owner of one as well. Apparently Husky TC Racers' are wrapping their fuel lines & shielding the bottom of their tanks with insulation in an attempt to keep the fuel and pump cooler.
  4. r'elise me

r'elise me Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did some research on fuel filters because I know that FI filters have to filter finer particles. The Napa 3011 is basically a carb type filter rated to about 20 microns and lower pressure of carb fuel pumps. It's a basic filter someone may use on an old car. Carbs flow crap a lot easier than FI nozzles and their fuel pressure irequirement is just enough to fill the float bowls - maybe 5-10psi. FI runs at high psi, generally over 35 psi AFTER the regulator. Our filter is BEFORE the regulator so it could see MUCH higher pressure. So I ask you this, would you build household plumbing out of the thin plastic of the Napa 3011? Even the OEM filter has thicker plastic walls

The Napa 3095 is all metal body (less likely to explode I assume) and rated for 11 microns. So I used that. Since it's metal, I might feel comfortable installing it outside the tank, but note that doing so allows dirt to pass through the pressure regulator and could cause problems I imagine (but I have no knowledge of the mechanical aspects to base that concern). Maybe it could deposit particles on the spring loaded seal in there and cause it to leak too much pressure. Hey, if the Austrians did the unconventional thing of putting it inside the tank, there must be a reason. Then again, it sounds like folks here have put it outside the tank with no regrets so far.
  5. Ontario GS

Oddometer:
    Timely post, I went back at the bike last night and pulled the pump & filter and was heading to Napa this morning. It was my intention to inquire about a metal filter and insure I was purchasing a filter for a fuel injection system.
  6. Ontario GS

Oddometer:
    This is a cross-post from http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19865127#post19865127

I have now replaced my fuel pump in my KTM 690 with the California Cycleworks pump; replaced the line with the Gates H209 5\16" submersible fuel line; installed a Napa 3095 steel body filter. and we are up and running. I have driven around town yesterday and will be out on the trails today for 5 or 6 hours so, we shall see how things unfold!

Incidentally, the Napa 3095 appears to be for 1989-90 vehicles which were carbureted engines.

I'm curious about the reliability of the of the Cycleworks pumps as, you see posts where folks are now carrying a spare fuel pump on long-distance trips. Has anyone suffered problems or failure with the Cycleworks pump?

I know that Alongat received a defective pump 1st time around from Cycleworks which, they replaced immediately. Maybe people could chime in on how long they have been running the Cycleworks pump or how many miles\kilometres they have put on since replacement.