Kettle Moraine

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by thisisbenji, Jul 1, 2014.

1. thisisbenji

thisisbenji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Being from southeast Wisconsin I'v always wanted to check out the Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive.

Getting ready for a long ride never seems to go smoothly for me, I typically tape my route onto my gas tank with painters tape. The only issue was I had left my tape in the garage and it got damp from the humidity and wouldn't stick. I had to run to Walmart to get a new roll. After I finally got the bike ready I felt the need to grab a photo or two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyways I started from the Lone Tree Bluff at the southern end of the forest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I followed the road north through some tight roads that just so happened to be covered in debris from last nights storm. It was still an experience. I had a couple oh shit moments with gravel and twig dodging while going a little too hot through the curves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to make a quick stop while riding through some Wisconsin farm land to grab a shot of the bike with this epic church in the background. Nothing like a beautiful church on a hilltop.

[​IMG]

Eventually I made it back into the forest and grabbed a few more photos of my bike, but off the road this time. (Not very far off the road :D.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some more riding I made it to Elkhart Lake (the home of Road America) where the scenic drive ends.

[​IMG]

On the way home I just had to stop in Milwaukee, I love the architecture of the city. The Churches are my favorite, they sure don't make them like they used to....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What what did I think about my first experience with Kettle Moraine?

Let me tell you, it didn't disappoint. Sure none of the curves were tight enough to get a knee down. Yet, 114 miles of curvy roads is something that isn't easy to come by in this state so it was still a blast.

The route had a good combination of curves, straights, forest, farmland, etc. There were fun high speed corners and low speed corners that let you enjoy nature.

I think I'll be taking this route again.
  2. HappyCRNA

HappyCRNA Athletic Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Niiiiice!
  3. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice report. Great pics. Well done.
  4. thisisbenji

Oddometer:
    Thanks, now I just need to find some mild dirt roads/trails suitable to a street bike in Wisconsin...
  5. TheProphet

TheProphet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riding up from Elkhorn, WI. on a combination of the Scenic Drive and Route 67 is a great way to spend a day.

We try to make the June 8,9,10 (?) weekend up at Road America every year. Vintage Bike Races. They jack up the hotel prices obscenely for this event all around Elkhart Lake, so we stay in Plymouth just south of there.

Siebkins Tavern is a classic old bar where everyone hangs out after the races... including the race teams.

Lots of fun and history around Elkhart Lake area.

Haven't you been to the Driftless Zone over in Southwest Wisconsin? Ton's of great roads over there - SW Wisconsin, NW Illinois, and up to SE Minnesota. Roads a-plenty!:D
  6. thisisbenji

Oddometer:
    I'v actually never explored anything out west (illinois/wisconsin), I wouldn't even know where to begin. I'll have to try and figure it out maybe this year.

Elkhart lake is a lot of fun, love the track. I'v never done much more than a day trip though.

[​IMG]
  7. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just pick any alphabet road out this way and you'll be fine. :thumb
  8. oldNbold

oldNbold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love photos of big old churches. I just like the architecture. I also really like the simplicity of the old one room rural and prairie churches.