CannonTracks - Great Divide Ride

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Rockies' started by Cannonshot, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Completed the Great Divide Ride from Banff, AB to the border with Mexico.
    [​IMG]

Prepared a comprehensive .gpx to share.

One version of the .gpx contains a lot of tracks for planning. These include bicycle only, all alternates, and even Big Dog's tracks so you can compare them to the current route in the US.

The other version is a 20 track file that is ready to load and ride.

The ride report that is full of pictures of the route and road surfaces can be found here:
    <!-- m -->http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603076

Files can be downloaded here: https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/cannontracks-great-divide-ride.619934/page-3#post-20864305

The 660+ waypoints are categorized so you can sort them (fuel, camping, dealers, POIs, hazards, etc).<!-- m -->
  2. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    The 20 tracks are not filtered actual active logs. They are tracks I drew based on the current GDR maps and then verified against my active logs to ensure they were correct. The tracks are drawn in such a way that track points are conserved but there is no confusion in following the route.

No. There was no need to.
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for lots of great way points.

I have scouted a way as close to the divide as possible across NM. I crossed the divide about 40 times. You had some of the same tracks.
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Again, I drew the tracks based on the current GDR maps (or on paths that I worked out for things not on the GDR maps) and later verified what I drew against my active logs.

You are very welcome. As you know, I routinely share a lot of GPS information with my fellow riders.

It would not surprise me that many of us would end up on the same paths since there are only so many ways to go. Where I worked up stuff apart from the GDR (like in Canada, for my side trips, or for my return to Wyoming from the south end) I drew my tracks based on a map recon (that I later verified on the ground).

Keep in mind that my tracks vary from my friend Mark Sampson's tracks and the active logs of those that rode his .gpx in several places. This may be due to updates to the GDR route or my use of some of the alternates that he did not use. That is the reason I added his track segments to the segments I have in the planning file - so people could compare his to the current route and alternates.
  6. BAGSTR

BAGSTR One Project a Day

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot,

Major thank you. A great deal of work performed for the troops
    Magus and Back2Dirt like this.
  7. gabrielzorz

gabrielzorz For Gold, God and Gears

Oddometer:
    That was good and thank you!
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll check that out.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    There is now gas available in Hachita, NM, at the Hachita Store.
    Their business hours at 8-6 M-S and 10-6 on Sunday.
    Their number is (575) 436-1100.
    I did not have this waypointed on the file I distributed as this is a new development.

[​IMG]
    Magus likes this.
  10. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    Pretty soon, you'll be able to update the map online at my site and users can then download the latest version at will. Even now, you can upload an updated version of your GPX and it will update the interactive map. Users can also download the newest version once its uploaded (if you allow downloading).
  11. lm002e

lm002e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which GPS unit did you use during this trip? Thanks again for your hard work!
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    You are quite welcome.

I use a Garmin 60 series (Cx or Csx) on trips like this. They hold the detailed maps, tracks, and waypoints for the entire trip and are rugged enough for this kind of travel. I used Topo for the background maps.
  13. JohnBryer

JohnBryer Adventure Poser

Oddometer:
    This is awesome!! I'm planning on doing all but the New Mexico part in 2011.
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I need to put out a cautionary note about the track. Near Island Park, ID/Sawtell Peak there is a short section of forest road that may be gated when you approach from either end.

If the gates are closed, they clearly state "ROAD CLOSED" and no one should go around the gate. I tried to verify the permanent status of these roads using the MVUM. NF 455 "disappears" from the MVUM for the segment between the gates.
    [​IMG]

I noted the segment in the ride report and offered an alternative.
    [​IMG]

It appears that the gated segment may involve private property.
  15. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    where can i read up on tracks? how to exchange them and such. i just bought a 60csx with mapsource which i installed in my mac. i want to try and ride the cdr this coming summer. i'll pick it up at the north end and ride south to about chama before heading west to phoenix. 'll be coming from the east coast.

do i have everything i need or do i have to buy some other types of maps too?

thanks
  16. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    GPS File Depot has a nice collection of maps for your Garmin. There are a couple of sites where people share tracks that I am aware of as well. dualsportmaps.com (which is one I created) and gpsxchange.com which is quite popular as well.

The GPS is not a panacea for travelling. I don't think it replaces anything that you need for a long journey. You'll still need maps as a backup should your GPS break, get lost, etc. Also, nothing really replaces the cozy feeling of pulling a Gazetteer and compass out of your pack when you feel lost.
    road trash and Magus like this.
  17. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cannonshot for the work. I'll put it to use this summer.:thumb
  18. Holaday

Holaday Man of Leisure

Oddometer:
    First Thanks Cannonshot for all your work. I thoroughly enjoyed your ride report. I need a little help loading this file. I have a Mac.

So do I need to buy Mapsource Topo US and install it into my Mac?

Then do I down load Cannonshots gps file ?

Then how do I transfer the files to my Garmin GPS 60 csx ?

Is there another program I need to buy ?

Do I put an empty SD card into my GPS before transferring the files from my Mac ?

Thanks Blair:ear
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Topo works fine for this trip. I used it in both Canada and the US and was quite satisfied.

Jerry, with all the comments you've posted in this thread, I don't know how you could have missed the remark in the very first post that I produced a ready to load and ride file of the current route for this trip. In fact, you thanked me for the waypoints I provided you.

http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19
  20. Holaday

Holaday Man of Leisure

Oddometer:
    I think I will go with Topo Us I like the detail with the contour lines etc. I already have NA Navigator and find there is no detail once you get off the beaten path. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. Anyways I will buy Topo US and try and get everything loaded up. Shooting for departing North Van about Aug 21 and riding over to Roosville and picking up the CDR there. Have to be back to work in Vancouver Sept. 10. Gonna take my time and do some day hikes in Grand Teton and really check out the Colorado mountain towns and passes. Slab it home from southern Colorado. Thats the plan anyways. Thanks again I may post any more questions I have to you guys here.

Blair :D