Icon Compound Mesh Overpants

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Davi5678, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Davi5678

Davi5678 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody got any experience with these yet? I've just ordered a pair so I'll do a write up when they arrive.
    I've been looking for a new pair of motorcycle pants for a while, and have been frustrated by the compromises.
    These might just tick all the boxes. Though they do look like an evolved pair of assless chaps!:lol3
    http://www.rideicon.com/products/?productGroupId=234
    [​IMG]

After my seventh pair of Draggins in four years gave up the ghost after a hard life of daily use, I couldn't bring myself to buy another pair.
    The Draggins are all right, but I was beginning to feel they weren't enough protection.
    Added up that's nearly two grand on jeans.:eek1 Across four years it's not so bad, but it was time to invest in something better.
    I wanted the protection of leather and some armour, but walking around all day in motorcycle pants is a deal killer.
    That also applies to cordura and synthetics. The styling is a bit too much, fine if your riding on a trip away, but day to day transport is a headache.
    That's where the Draggins were convenient. I thought about Draggin K-Legs, but they'd be too hot in summer.
    I thought about Aerostich, I thought about Motoport. But I already have three good jackets. I have waterproof gear, I have cold weather gear. I just needed some pants that can offer good protection and a hot weather option for summer.

When they arrive I'll post some pics and a write up.
  2. MadtownMaxx

MadtownMaxx more ride than post Supporter

Oddometer:
    :ear

:lurk
  3. crewwolfy

crewwolfy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't leave us hangin'!! This is on my consideration list!
  4. 1upNORTH

1upNORTH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had ordered a pair of Icon Overlord pants. The sizing was retarted. Waist 32-36 all came with the same length. Im 6'2 and the length was too much for me. Unless your waist 30 or 6'6 they wouldnt fit. Brawnson pants were the same sizing. Hopefully you have more luck with these.
  5. MadtownMaxx

Oddometer:
    I don't usually give any impressions of gear until I've used it for a good long while but here are a few thoughts on these overpants after only a couple of months of ownership.

Sizing: They run very loose around. My waist is 36+" min and I ordered the 34" based upon other reviews. Glad I did. The waist is just right but the thighs and calves are still generous (and I'm a stouter body type - 5'10" 205#, 45" chest). I've been wearing them over both jeans & khaki shorts. I think Icon could tighten these two areas up a bit and they'd still function well as an overpant. It's occurred to me that this looseness may equate to poorer protection in the event of an off. I've been thinking about have cinches added that would provide adjustability. Another option would be to employ body armor under these overpants held close by an undergarment. Somewhere I read an owner was wearing snow pants under these for extreme cold weather... I believe it.

Length seems good. Standing they seem overly long (I'm a 31" inseam but usually go for the 32" since 31" isn't often available) but on my Duc they are just right so I haven't trimmed any length off them.

These pants are oddly short-waisted. Like low-cut jeans. This also seems like a potential safety issue to me. They do have a connection zipper in back but I need to sew the upper portion into my Motoport jacket yet. I really need to do this soon!

Conceptually they are just what I was looking for. I am a daily commuter and they go on-off quickly and easily. The side zips open up the sides 99% - only the waistband is continuous and needs to be stepped through with the zips all the way open (up from the bottom). There are two snaps at the bottom/cuff and then the zip starts at about 6" up from the bottom. The zips also have an operator at the top so you can open the top to provide off-bike ventilation or to get to stuff in your pants pockets underneath. I like this convenience. I also tour/camp and blast about on day rides.

They seem decently made in a 'massed produced' sort of way although that'll be proved over years, not months (and hopefully never in the event of an off). I certainly haven't any complaints about initial quality and they do have a heft to them that is especially noticeable if you're used to all-textile pants. I'm used to Motoport's stretch kevlar and cheap textile solutions. I'm no leather expert but they are surprising supple out of the package. I'd have expected a harder break-in period for a top notch leather piece..... maybe another sign of catering to comfort/fashion over safety? I believe I've been told that Icon is the poor cousin of Alpinestar. This product would seem to support that.

The knee armor seems good although I switched in some Forcefield that I already owned. There is no hip armor - another shortcoming for some of you perhaps? I'm considering adding it myself.

I've ridden in them at 90° for hours with only shorts underneath and they flow some decent air across the thighs and into the crotch when moving. The calves don't get as much air but the vented fabric in the back allows a little. I wear tall riding boots so there would be no benefit for me for airflow down low but my upper calves and the backs of my knees do appreciate it.

I've also ridden in the upper 50°'s for short periods with jeans underneath and figured I'd need some windproofing to go for long or at lower temps. On a related note, I've yet to decide how to handle rain. I'm not a fan of the liner concept so I may get something to go over these Icons.

So all-in-all I'm initially fairly happy with these pants. If they hold up well for many years I'll be even happier. If I have an off and they save my hide I'll be ecstatic. I do have some suspicions about their ability to protect in the more extreme mishaps but my opinion is they are way better than: nothing, moto jeans, cheap-moderate priced textiles. Maybe the best way to put it is I'm guessing these exceed around 65% of other solutions available in the market place. Maybe higher (75%?) if zipped to your jacket, hip pads added and well fit. I'm also thinking that as you get to 75% and above the solutions start to loose the convenience and flexibility that these pants feature.... but this is conjecture on my part and very close to argument territory for these forums. I limit myself to one pair of moto pants so flexibility and convenience are important to me. I'd probably be wise to loosen up a bit and get some proper leathers for the little bit of spirited riding I do on weekends.

I paid just over $200 US (on sale - last year's part number) I believe which enters into my happiness equation. I sold my used Motoports for $275. :D

Hopefully this is helpful. Shout out any specific questions and I'll try to reply.

Cheers,
  6. Davi5678

Oddometer:
    Since I bought these I haven't had a chance to ride the bike due to work. Such is life.
    +1 to everything MadtownMax said. I've worn them over a pair of Northface ski pants and they fit, so they are loose with normal jeans etc.
    Can't wait for the day to get out for a ride...when I do I'll write them up.:ricky
  7. Zoodles95

Zoodles95 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update.

However, your response seems to indicate that you have the pants with leather and textle. However, the link in the first post is a link to the Icon Hooligan mesh overpants.

You noted that there is no hip armour in these. A possible solution is to wear some armoured shorts with these. Something like the Icon Stryker shorts have CE rated D3O armour in the hips and the sides are Aramid which would give you some extra abrasion resistance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I use the entire series when I ride as a "base layer". The shorts and knee guards go under my kevlar lined jeans. The hip armour in my jeans was not much to speak of and not CE rated. The knee armour was not CE rated and tended to move around so I did not trust it to be where it needed to be should I go down. The Icon Stryker knee guards solved that problem.
    [​IMG]

I wear the vest and elbow guards under either my mesh or textile jacket (depending on weather). I would rather keep my skin on my instead of donate it to the pavement...
  8. MadtownMaxx

Oddometer:
    I was under the impression the original thread titlte, product link and pic are for the Compound Mesh Overpants which are, indeed, a leather-textile combination. This is the product my earlier comments apply to anyway.

Your armored short suggestion is exactly the kind of thing I was referring to for hip protection and can also include knee protection that stays in place. Thanks for the specific example. I use the Forcefield product line for some of this. For commuting I prefer just throwing on the overpant and have that be it. No disappearing into a phone booth for a complete costume change. For more spirited rides I add such protection. The setup still won't be up to properly fit race leathers but will provide a level of protection I'm comfortable with. I'm in no hurry to donate my dermal layers either and have largely (:shog) avoided it by wearing gear almost without exception.

9. Davi5678

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a pair of the stryker shorts, should work really well together. Cheers for the tip.:thumb
  10. Davi5678

Oddometer:
    Since I've started riding again I can give them a rating - All good!
    They fit comfortably on me, feel safer than any kevlar jeans. They are a little heavy and fairly bulky so carrying them around or wearing them around is a slight disadvantage, but they feel so much safer then riding in jeans, and having just returned to riding after a year off and feeling a bit older and more risk averse then before that's reassuring.
    They are fairly warm worn over levi's, I'm yet to try riding with shorts underneath, that should be more comfortable in the heat, but psychologically feels less safe. I'll get over it.
    I know they fit over my ski pants so come winter I'll report back in adverse weather.